Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Troy as DB/LB Hybrid

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I know he doesn't cover well, but he still has the speed and instincts (IMO) to be a FS. You get a head start on guys like Wallace, Green, the Johnsons playing safety, so if you play your responsibilities I don't see why Troy can't be a FS for a year maybe two while a young FS is drafted or picked up in FA.

Pappy
    Not enough speed...Evident all year. He can't play centerfield as a single high safety and react to the QB. His instincts & burst are enough playing 15 yards off LOS but he gets engulfed as a LB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have said it & will stick by it. It is on Troy from an asignment standpoint but How much can you fault him...He isn't a ILB. The LB read with the C & onside G pulling would be 9 sweep. In the big nickel the S would have to set the edge. That means Troy has to step up in the hole and take on the OL at the LOS so no lane is created. Watch the replay. W Allen reads run & flies up & sets the edge taking on the pulling G. Pouncey is able to "wrap" & come through the hole because Troy retreated and came lateral & didn't attck LOS. Even if he submarines Pouncey in the hole he cuts back into Heyward or stops flat footed & Worilds gets him from the backside. Sorry...Simple football 101. Troy's no ILB & the Dolphins did their homework.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013120806/2013/REG14/dolphins@steelers?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=hi ghlights&tab=recap[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't believe Troy would do well covering today's tight ends, they're too big and strong for Troy at his age. Personally, I wish he could cover better, FS could extend his career more than anything. Making tackles and trying to rush the passer against 300 pound linemen I don't believe will work out for Troy, just my opinion.

Pappy
    I agree. Troy has never been great at man to man coverage. He is more a zone player but moving him all over the place takes him out of position so even that is taken away from him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Not enough speed...Evident all year. He can't play centerfield as a single high safety and react to the QB. His instincts & burst are enough playing 15 yards off LOS but he gets engulfed as a LB.
    Early in the season it looked like he had enough speed and there were many praises being passed around here about his play because he was healthy. I think playing ILB and taking on big offensive linemen have taken on toll on his speed late in the year. I'm not ready to give up on Troy just yet, I think there's something left that he can give, but it will have to be at a discount as you have said.

Thanks for the Xs and Os information for those of us that just watch for entertainment.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Want to lay blame, blame LeBeau for having his SS play ILB.
    FN Troy plays his heart out and his only mistake Sunday was him going for the strip on Clay instead of the tackle.
    Is he worth his full salary next year?
    I'd say no.
    Is he this teams biggest problem on defense?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Early in the season it looked like he had enough speed and there were many praises being passed around here about his play because he was healthy. I think playing ILB and taking on big offensive linemen have taken on toll on his speed late in the year. I'm not ready to give up on Troy just yet, I think there's something left that he can give, but it will have to be at a discount as you have said.

Thanks for the Xs and Os information for those of us that just watch for entertainment.

Pappy

You are right Pap, early in the season Troy as well as Ike looked like they were healthy & playing like we know they could. We saw it happen with Harrison-Ward-Hampton etc the final years they were here. When play drops off down the stretch...That is the sign. I'm not bashing Troy or Ike but this day comes with all our "Steeler Heroes". What made Troy & Ike extraordinary has left there bodies because of miles & Father time. They are just ordinary now. It's a process that can't be slowed. When that happens they become a replaceable part. If they want to come back with a cap hit 4 mil...They will be welcomed back but they won't be made any promises. They will have to hold off the youngsters.

One thing about DBs at the end of their careers. Instincts will only cover you so long. When you start to lose a step...There is nowhere to hide you. Sometimes you see a CB move to FS but he has to have a skill set at CB with S traits. Ike has been pretty good in run support be he has never excelled as a "zone" guy. You can lose a step in the front 7 & instincts will keep your head above water longer...But that comes to an end too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree. Troy has never been great at man to man coverage. He is more a zone player but moving him all over the place takes him out of position so even that is taken away from him.
    Where was he lined up on the pick 6? I'd have to watch the tape again, but I believe it was at an ILB or slot type position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't believe Troy would do well covering today's tight ends, they're too big and strong for Troy at his age. Personally, I wish he could cover better, FS could extend his career more than anything. Making tackles and trying to rush the passer against 300 pound linemen I don't believe will work out for Troy, just my opinion.

Pappy
    You took the words right outta my mouth. Troy has never been a strong pass rusher or cover guy. His game is robber coverage & QB spying. I think CLARK is gone and Troy moves to Free Safety.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Want to lay blame, blame LeBeau for having his SS play ILB.
    FN Troy plays his heart out and his only mistake Sunday was him going for the strip on Clay instead of the tackle.
    Is he worth his full salary next year?
    I'd say no.
    Is he this teams biggest problem on defense?
    It is hard to blame DL on this issue Pete. If Troy was stuck in there in base than I think they would deserve criticism. Since this is the "Big Nickel" package...It tells me Troy is there for his underneath coverage & his instincts. May have been their best option in regards to the other ILBs on the roster. Troy gives a 110% on every play...I agree with you. But when the machine breaks down...110% isn't enough.

I love Troy & I hope there is a way to get it done where he finishes here. From a football standpoint...Take away the name on the back of the jersey...He is not an extraordinary player any more....And he shouldn't be paid like it. Troy made mistakes from an execution standpoint on Sunday beyond the missed tackle. You want to give him a pass playing ILB...Understandable. I'm not disrespecting him because of it and thought his effort there was admirable. However, no matter where he is on the field...He just doesn't have the range he used to have as a Safety. He won't be making a living at ILB & he becomes a liability at S in coverage. Troys fall off is a major contributor to DL's scheme failure. DL just doesn't have that guy to be in two places at once. That's the best way to describe what Troy brought to DL's defense over the years. Now...Ordinary.

To answer your question about defensive problems. Troy isn't the biggest but he is part of the biggest. The Steelers defensive woes start in the secondary. Clark, Ike, & Troy are just a step late now. That can not be corrected..It is just the game. Clark won't be back. I think they retain W Allen. Ike & Troy have to take big pay cuts to stay & hold off youngsters. I think they are comfortable with Gay & Allen as starters if they cut Ike but they will draft or sign a FA. If Troy is around, they will look at Allen & Troy as the starters but write that in pencil on the depth chart. That could change between draft & end of camp. I would expect that to happen too. There are questions at NT & ILB that have to be answered. The Steelers know the answer about Spence & Williams at ILB. NT may come via FA or draft if they feel McClendon isn't the answer. If Worilds continues to stay on the left with Woodley healthy it tells me they plan on retaining him. Woodley won't be in the plans beyond '14 if Jones shows up. Last...It may be Butler's time. That's a difficult one to call right now. I feel less & less confident he will return. If Ike & Troy get cut...I don't see him coming back. The page has turned.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Where was he lined up on the pick 6? I'd have to watch the tape again, but I believe it was at an ILB or slot type position.
    That was the "Big Nickel" and he was playing ILB. That is where he can excel in pass & what they envisioned. LB zone drop...Read QB...Use instincts. However, if they run at it...Problem.