Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hodgepodge

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hodgepodge

Did anyone think Ryan Clarks hit was on a defenseless receiver ? Also, I can't remember the Steeler player that I thought got lit up as a defenseless receiver but, was not called. Am I looking through my black and gold glasses or not ? One more thing, I believe the refs on more occasions have not been even handed with tossing the yellow flags this season with our Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One more thing, I won't mind on draft day if we only won five games this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

The officiating is getting worse and worse every week and I don't believe it is focused on the Steelers in any way. If I watch other games (which is rare these days) it seems to me that the officiating is pathetic around the league. There is too much subjectivity that goes into making calls on the most game changing type plays, PI, helmet to helmet, defenseless receiver, etc calls made incorrectly on these types of plays change a game dramatically and there really isn't any objectivity to the calls and they are not reviewable. Add to that, the fact that every little touch of a WR is being called PI or holding and you get what is being passed off as the NFL these days.

The theory (old school theory) in refereeing any sporting event was always to do such a good job that the referees weren't even noticeable on the field, now, it seems the game revolves around the officials more than the players.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Vegas must have some debts because the officiating this year has been disgusting.

Legend

User Info Menu

The call against Clark was egregious. How in the hell was that a defenseless WR? He caught the ball, turned (made a "football move" in NFL parlance), and Clark went LOW. Good golly, unless you are going to tag or flags, how is a DB supposed to tackle a receiver? It's absurd. There was a play later in the game that was basically identical and the Steelers didn't get the call (forget the WR but we were chatting about it in the bar).

I actually think there are a lot of teams that could claim the officiating has been horrible. Pats got a ridiculous gift in the Browns game but got obvious PI waived off in the Panthers game to lose. Suh had a phantom holding call against him this week that deserves a ref getting fired. Completely made up. Refs have messed up the ball spotting, down by contact, unable to make the correct call WITH reviewing the film. It's endless and almost every week there is a game changing call made incorrectly.

Even when the Steelers are winning and I'm in a good mood it's getting harder and harder to watch the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

can we get the replacement refs back ? at least we know they're trying their best.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If I watch other games (which is rare these days) it seems to me that the officiating is pathetic around the league.
    Pappy
    I used to watch the 1pm, 4pm, and 9pm game every sunday, then look forward to monday night football. Now I just watch the Steelers and call it a season. Too many record setting games, weeks, seasons, and 'greatest of all-time' going on lately.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the NBA rules are taking effect in the NFL. Which is really sad.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the Clark call was a makeup call for his spear a couple plays earlier. Plus, he already has the reputation. And the refs are waiting for him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree about the Clark call. He was getting the flag as soon as the ref seen him. Secondly, the NFL has ruined the game. Too many rules, too much handed to the offense to allow them to score ( quick, someone tell that to our Steelers ) They've taken the running game out of the sport and now wonder why there are so many injuries. Records are be broken as someone said each game and it's not the same. It's not apples for apples. These records that are being broken need the asterisk next to them reading, ( they were wearing dresses at the time. )