Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Worilds

Legend

User Info Menu

Jason Worilds

Let's look at how well JW's been playing.

Last 4 games - 31 tackles - 5 sacks - 1 FF

Projects for 16 games - 124 tackles - 20 sacks - 4 FF

Worilds has been on an absolute crazy pace on the left. He's playing like the best LB in all of football.

For a comparison to the greatest OLB in Steelers history, James Harrison put up:

101 tackles, 16 sacks, and 7 FFs

Essentially as a LOLB, Jason Worilds is putting up James Harrison type of production. He's not getting the same number of FFs, but he's also not sneaking up behind the QB every time he's rushing. I have a feeling some team is going to look at him and make him the highest paid FA in football this offseason based on these last couple games at LOLB.

That production is off the charts. If we can somehow keep him and Heyward performing at this level on the left next year, JJ should go unblocked on the right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

gotta like it, alot. The only weakness is not holding the edge a few times, very correctable. I think this production is no fluke or flash in the pan.

Starter

User Info Menu

He is getting more expensive every game he plays...maybe he could pull a hammy and sit for the rest of the year so we can bring him back.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    He is getting more expensive every game he plays...maybe he could pull a hammy and sit for the rest of the year so we can bring him back.
    How could a "Tomlin bust" be getting more expensive. That just isn't logical.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Im starting to think we should tag Worilds this offseason. I think teams would be willing to give up picks if we transition tag him and they might even be willing to give up picks if we franchise him.

No clue if we can realistically afford him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Im starting to think we should tag Worilds this offseason. I think teams would be willing to give up picks if we transition tag him and they might even be willing to give up picks if we franchise him.

No clue if we can realistically afford him.
    Move him back to ROLB and insert Woodley back at LOLB, hopefully, he'll play well, but not at the current pace and he'll come reasonable in the off season. But, I could easily see a playoff team running a 3-4 making a serious run at his services. The Steelers don't have the financial resources right now to compete for his services based on everything I've been seeing about the Steeler cap situation.

If they want to keep Worilds and Heyward, some long time favorites are going to have to be shown the door, IMHO.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Priority 1 will be retaining Worilds. JJ hasn't shown any improvement so it is clear to me what I feared most. Jones needs to vastly improve his playing strength to be an impact from his position. That may not be 1 offseason turn around. On top of that, putting more mass on that frame may have a negative impact...I hope that isn't the case. Woodley must remain in '14 & hopefully Jones shows enough improvement to make Woodley expendable by '15. The Steelers will have to draft an OLB this year for depth & development.

On a side note...Woodley looked pretty good at ROLB. He had pressure & actually should split one of those sacks with Worilds. Wish he was in there on that read option instead of Jones.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if you thought woodley looked good yesterday, then we have vastly different expectations for the ROLB spot.

I thought he was terrible.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    if you thought woodley looked good yesterday, then we have vastly different expectations for the ROLB spot.

I thought he was terrible.
    I don't care about personal expectations...I worry about X's & O's. You can dislike his performance because of the stat sheets. He provided some pass rush & played well against the run on his limited snaps. They watched his snap count. He could have got upfield on Clay's outside shoulder on the one long run by Daniel Thomas. But Troy punked out on that play. The OC exploited him playing ILB. You don't read C & onside G pulling & retreat. Onside outside the rule...Easy read for LB. Safety sets the edge in big nickel and you have to fill at the LOS to close hole & force inside. Troy does that Heyward makes the play for 0-2 yard gain
    . Woodley wasn't the best LB on the field yesterday but he wasn't in the "terrible" category of Steeler defenders.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

of course you are right. It is so silly of me to expect one of the highest paid pass rushers in the league to actually get pressure on the quarterback. How stupid of me.

I will take your word for 56 playing well against the run I guess. Personally when you give up 181 yards on the ground, I find it hard to believe anybody's play was above the line in that regard.