Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jason Worilds

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    One matter of clarity here... Jones decision on that play wasn't terrible. I watched that play and thought, "people will criticize him on that, but, with an option play, you pick one, take him out and hope your teammates get the next guy. It's why the option works - people try to hover between and not commit until the QB does. By then, it's too late."

Having said that, i don't think he had a good game - I just don't think THAT play was as bad as I suspect most will view it.
    Don't know the playcall on that but I would have to disagree with you based on football 101 & no blitz. On normal option plays QB-pitch man is defined in assignment. In this read option play they maintain gap discipline.

Again, their big nickel against 11 personnel. Playing pass to run...The safety would be the guy setting the edge. So if the S has "D" that gives Jones "C". Should be the case because basically it is a 4 man front. The read of the backside FB coming at him would have been play inside. But Jones doesn't even take on the FB. Plays selfish football runs inside (around) the block to try & make a big play on the running back. Leaves the Safety Allen out to dry taking on a FB on an iso block. You ever leave an OL/FB get to a DB. Compounded with the fact Troy again is the ILB that takes a false step & gets engulfed who should have "B" responsibility. Now...If Jones is responsible for C & plays assignment football...He would have taken on the FB with his outside shoulder squeezed the play. If the RB went inside he falls of block to make tackle (that is why you use outside shoulder.) If it bounces outside...You have an unblocked W Allen waiting.

That would be best case scenario for J Jones where he made a mistake. If he was responsible for "D" then coming down the LOS like that on a read option would get him benched in my book. See the ball before you commit ESPECIALLY if you have contain. I really don't see any scenario on that play where JJ didn't lose discipline.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 12-09-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

* Outside linebacker Jason Worilds led the team with 8 solo tackles, 2 sacks and 3 tackles for loss. He registered two sacks for the third time this season and for the second consecutive game.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/09/Defense-blown-open-again/stories/201312090052#ixzz2n0bnCite[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think Woodley is playing as well as he should consistently. I am one for cutting him in '15 if JJ shows up. Woodley didn't make any splash plays yesterday. I don't think he was 100% but I also don't think he was terrible. He outplayed Jones but was outplayed by Worilds.
    My one beef with Woodley is sometimes he doesn't look like he's giving 100%. I remember 2 different plays where Woodley looked like he was watching someone else make a tackle and wasn't getting involved in the play. I really wasn't sure what he was thinking. Sometimes he just looks disinterested.

Legend

User Info Menu

by Ed Bouchette

Sam: Hello Ed, how hard will the Steelers work to retain Worilds assuming he finishes the last three games strong? Seems the team will need more than just Woodley and Jones next season especially for depth.

Ed Bouchette: If they keep Jason Worilds, it won't be for depth, it will be to start. So if that happens, they might take some action with Woodley, who could become the next James Harrison if they ask him to take a paycut.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/10/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-12-10-13/stories/201312100144#ixzz2nQOXvz6o[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    by Ed Bouchette

Sam: Hello Ed, how hard will the Steelers work to retain Worilds assuming he finishes the last three games strong? Seems the team will need more than just Woodley and Jones next season especially for depth.

Ed Bouchette: If they keep Jason Worilds, it won't be for depth, it will be to start. So if that happens, they might take some action with Woodley, who could become the next James Harrison if they ask him to take a paycut.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/10/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-12-10-13/stories/201312100144#ixzz2nQOXvz6o[/URL]
    A world of difference between the two contract situations...Woodley and Harrison.

Harrison was in the last year of his contract. The team is on the hook for the pro rated SB either way, the only consideration was salary number.

With Wood, there is over $13M SB left to amortize over three years. He is significantly harder to let go financially. I'm not saying he should be kept, I'm saying that the factors in place that play into the decision are much stronger for Woodley than with Harrison.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    by Ed Bouchette

that would be awesome.
    if tomlin cant motivate these guys to play, maybe colbert can by cutting woodley's lazy ass and show them that not even a poor contract situation can save them.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    that would be awesome.
    if tomlin cant motivate these guys to play, maybe colbert can by cutting woodley's lazy ass and show them that not even a poor contract situation can save them.
    It doesn't seem to me that motivation is the issue. They seem plenty motivated.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jason Worilds open to contract from Steelers

By Dale Grdnic on Dec 24 2013

After asking reporters how free agency works, the pending free agent said he's open to discussing a contract with the Steelers.

PITTSBURGH -- It's been quite a ride for Jason Worilds, since the Pittsburgh Steelers heeded Coach Mike Tomlin's advice and selected the former Virginia Tech rush end in the second round during the 2010 NFL Draft.

Worilds was relatively underwhelming for various reasons going into this season, mostly because there were talented players ahead of him at outside linebacker and he underperformed when he wasn't injured and got a chance to play.

That's what makes this season so amazing for Worilds. He leads the Steelers with eight sacks, along with 43 solo tackles and two forced fumbles. He only had 10 total sacks in the previous three seasons and one forced fumble. So, is this a statement season for Worilds as his rookie contract is about to expire?

"It's been positive, thinking about where I came from, not knowing if I was going to play week to week or how much I would play,'' Worilds said. "So, it's been great from that standpoint, because I've come a long way. (But) I haven't really thought about it too much. There's so much going on. I've been through a roller-coaster since I've been here.

"And I learned first and foremost that you can't expect anything. And that even goes back to expecting to start at the beginning of this season. So, you can't expect anything until it actually happens. That's kind of been my approach, and I kind of take it day-by-day. And in a couple weeks, if things don't work out, I'll probably have a better answer for you.''

Worilds obviously was referring to the prospect of him starting for the departed James Harrison at right outside linebacker. LaMarr Woodley was entrenched as the left-side starter. Then, the Steelers surprised Worilds by selecting Jarvis Jones in the first round during the NFL Draft this past spring.

Worilds was asked if he believed he has gotten a fair shake from the Steelers. He repeated the question and posed it to the reporter, who responded that when the Steelers drafted a player at the same position in the first round, that should have sent a message to him.

"More or less, I would say that it definitely implies something,'' Worilds said. "Sure, but what can you do. You've got to keep playing, right? So, I'll keep playing, and we'll see how it goes.''

Worilds would have liked the Steelers to have locked him up with a contract extension before this season, but now he has a chance to test the open market.

"I honestly don't even know how it works,'' Worilds said. "I don't know how the market opens or anything about that. Can you tell me?''

Worilds was told that the Steelers have exclusive negotiating rights with him until March 1 or some date around then. After that, he would become a free agent. But the Steelers can negotiate a new contract at any time until then.

"I guess, when they call me, then we'll talk,'' Worilds said. "(But) you can't progress as a person or a player by holding that stuff inside. Holding that resentment and holding that anger inside of you, I wouldn't be able to go out there and play for my teammates if I was mad about the decisions that were made upstairs and how they affected me.

"So, I don't think there's anything you can do about it, and I know that I couldn't do it. So, all that contract stuff, I leave it to my agent, because I can't deal with it. (But) I've had my best season, I believe, because I've had more opportunities this season. So, it's a process, and I'll try to continue to play well through the final game this season, whenever that is.''

With Woodley scheduled to make a lot of money over the next couple seasons, the Steelers have to decide what they're going to do at outside linebacker. They can keep Woodley and his exorbitant salary and hope that he doesn't continue to get injured, an unlikely proposition if the past few years are an indication.

But if the Steelers release Woodley and clear some cap space, they could use that money to re-sign Worilds. It's part of what should be a busy offseason for the Steelers.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/12/24/5241958/jason-worilds-contract-free-agency-nfl-2014[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha