Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameron Heyward

Legend

User Info Menu

Cameron Heyward

This guy is on fire since he's been starting. He's putting up the kind of stats/performance this team has never seen from a 3-4 DE.

Last 7 games, he has 42 tackles, 4 sacks, and 4 Passes Defended. That projects to 96 tackles, 9 sacks, and 9 PDs over 16 games.

Let's put those numbers in perspective. Most tackles in a season for Smith - 70 and for Keisel - 55. For each of those guys, their best season was way better than their average season. So Heyward's 96 tackle pace in his first season starting is off the charts because he's only going to get better with experience.

As far as sacks go, Smiity has 8 twice and Keisel had 5.5 once. Again these are way above their career averages and again, Heyward is on a pace that blows their production away in his first season starting.

As far as batting down passes, Keisel's done it 7 times twice and 6 another and Aaron's done it 7 once. The rest of their seasons were relatively insignificant. So it's just one more category that Heyward is tearing up the pace.

Pittsburgh has never seen a 3-4 DE like Heyward before. And he's just getting started.

I also wonder if his play is impacting how well Worilds is able to play at LOLB? Curious if he's taking some pressure off Worilds as a pass rusher and tackler to make more plays?

Backup

User Info Menu

The kid (Heyward) has played well this season,...and has the the potential to be exceptional if he had a stud NT next to him. I have no complaints. However i am in no form or fashion sold on Jason Worilds as a long term answer at OLB.

Legend

User Info Menu

They're both playing exceptional irregardless of who else is playing around them.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    They're both playing exceptional irregardless of who else is playing around them.

I dig your perspective flip. Just think we have not seen exactly how productive Heyward can be just yet as he has basically been playing without a 3-4 NT. As far as Worilds,..i don't really give much credence to how well someone plays against poor teams. Unless they are exceptional and play poorly themselves.

Legend

User Info Menu

My only concern about Heyward when we drafted him was the fact that he was capable of disappearing in games. But, his game against Arkansas was one of the finest games I have ever seen from a defensive lineman. He has the ability to be very special. I watched Miami give the tackle help with Heyward. Teams will have to start doubling him. I agree with Rod, can you imagine if the Steelers had a real NT?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    My only concern about Heyward when we drafted him was the fact that he was capable of disappearing in games. But, his game against Arkansas was one of the finest games I have ever seen from a defensive lineman. He has the ability to be very special. I watched Miami give the tackle help with Heyward. Teams will have to start doubling him. I agree with Rod, can you imagine if the Steelers had a real NT?
    I'd take a dominant NT, RDE, and ROLB pass rusher and think improvements in all those positions would help our entire front 7. I'd really like to see what Fangupo and Arnfelt can do a little more. I'd also be great with the idea of getting someone like Nix and moving McClendon to RDE where I think he'd flourish more than at NT. Although I do think we can live with McClendon at NT if we improve other positions because he is getting better as the season goes on.

Legend

User Info Menu

i agree with flip, totally on both players... Heyward had a couple of Mortal-Kombat-GETOVERHERE-handful-of-shirt tackles yesterday... impressive stuff

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    The kid (Heyward) has played well this season,...and has the the potential to be exceptional if he had a stud NT next to him. I have no complaints. However i am in no form or fashion sold on Jason Worilds as a long term answer at OLB.
    So let me ask you and others, at what point do you become "sold" on a player? After 10 games, 20 games, 50 games?... No luxury like that in the NFL. Once a player flashes, all eyes are trained on them. Look no further than E Sanders as a case in point. NE saw flashes and made a grab. Teams will do the same to Worilds.

Backup

User Info Menu

In fairness to Smith. LeBeau changed the defense because of the lack of skill in the Lb core. He allowed the DEs to penetrate rather than just hole the point. I read an article early in the year where Hood said that it will help the DE. If you look at the DL now there is no rock solid hold the line players like Hampton or Smith. So LeBeau changed it. When Smith was playing LeBeau used a ton of zone blitzes because the OLBers could get to the QB. Now not so much.

Legend

User Info Menu

* Heyward had 10 tackles, a sack and one tackle for loss. All four of his sacks have come in the past six games.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/09/Defense-blown-open-again/stories/201312090052#ixzz2n0cEUHHl[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha