Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cameron Heyward

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    So let me ask you and others, at what point do you become "sold" on a player? After 10 games, 20 games, 50 games?... No luxury like that in the NFL. Once a player flashes, all eyes are trained on them. Look no further than E Sanders as a case in point. NE saw flashes and made a grab. Teams will do the same to Worilds.
    I am not saying Worilds is a bum,...or that he lacks talent. IMO he is just not or will likely ever be special in a 3-4 against quality teams.

Is the possibility for as much a reality if the rest of the front seven were playing passionate, energetic, smart, talented and nasty lights out aggressive Steeler ball ? Perhaps,...but that does not make him exceptional on an individual level from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    I am not saying Worilds is a bum,...or that he lacks talent. IMO he is just not or will likely ever be special in a 3-4 against quality teams.

Is the possibility for as much a reality if the rest of the front seven were playing passionate, energetic, smart, talented and nasty lights out aggressive Steeler ball ? Perhaps,...but that does not make him exceptional on an individual level from my perspective.
    If you don't like Worilds, then who on this defense do you like? I see Worilds as an ascending player who has shown flashes since he came in but finally has established a niche, gotten healthy, reached physical maturity and is ready to flourish. I think fans are very difficult to please. He has 8 sacks this year playing parttime, good numbers. The old line about not doing it against quality teams is weak. All NFL teams have talent that is pretty close and they all have some weaknesses. If you are ready to see Worilds go, because to you he just isn't that good, I don't think the Steelers have too much else on defense that is as good or better. Unfortunately what's not special to a fan such as yourself is not as easy to find or replace as you think it is.

Heyward stood out against Miami. He was in on so many plays. He is hard to knock off his feet and if you can not have your legs taken out or let linemen get their hands on u you have a shot to make plays and he has done just that. I'm glad to see him bring his game to this new level. Lets see if the Bengals double team him Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    If you don't like Worilds, then who on this defense do you like? I see Worilds as an ascending player who has shown flashes since he came in but finally has established a niche, gotten healthy, reached physical maturity and is ready to flourish. I think fans are very difficult to please. He has 8 sacks this year playing parttime, good numbers. The old line about not doing it against quality teams is weak. All NFL teams have talent that is pretty close and they all have some weaknesses. If you are ready to see Worilds go, because to you he just isn't that good, I don't think the Steelers have too much else on defense that is as good or better. Unfortunately what's not special to a fan such as yourself is not as easy to find or replace as you think it is.
    He doesn't like Worilds for the same reason he doesn't like Timmons. He was reportedly a "Tomlin Pick" at draft time. He's been railing against those guys since they were drafted. It fits his Tomlin stinks agenda.

Since Tomlin was hired, here are the Steelers Draft Picks still playing in the NFL (many are starters):

2007:
    Lawrence Timmons
    Lamar Woodley
    Matt Spaeth
    William Gay

2008:
    Rashard Mendenhall
    Dennis Dixon
    Ryan Mundy

2009:
    Ziggy Hood
    Kraig Urbik
    Mike Wallace
    Keenan Lewis
    Frank Summers
    AQ Shipley
    David Johnson

2010:
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Jason Worilds
    Manny Sanders
    Stevenson Sylvester
    Jonathan Dwyer
    Antonio Brown

2011:
    Cam Heyward
    Marcus Gilbert
    Curtis Brown
    Cortez Allen
    Chris Carter

2012:
    Dave Decastro
    Mike Adams
    Sean Spence
    Alameda Ta'aumu
    David Paulson
    Kelvin Beachum

2013:
    Jarvis Jones
    Leveon Bell
    Markus Wheaton
    Shamarko Thomas
    Landry Jones
    Vince Williams

(Practice Squad: Justin Brown, Nick Williams)

Now personally, I think Colbert is absolutely the man behind the draft and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional IMO. But if you insist on labeling Tomlin as responsible for all draft failures/successes since he's been here, there are quite a few successes on this board. Still way to early to label the 2012 and 2013 classes but it looks like some really good players are going to emerge from those groups too.

Sure there are misses along the way (Sweed, Bruce Davis) but no one hits on every player in every draft. Colbert has been remarkably successful through the Cowher/Tomlin years.

If this year has shown us ANYTHING at all, it should be that we can't be too quick to judge a player based on his first couple of years in the league. Heyward and Worilds both have shown us that.

Hall of Famer
    Heyward gets a fair amount of penetration (this is great on pass plays). He also is very athletic and capable of running down ball carriers all over the field (especially once they have broken through the LOS).

He is not J.J. Watt, but he isn't that far off either.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer
    Sketchy territory projecting shorter-term results over an entire season. I'm VERY happy with his performance this year too (going by the eyeball test), but let's not jump too much to conclusions. A month ago, Woodley was projecting for a 16-sack season. (Two years ago, Woodley was projecting at probably over 18 sacks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Sketchy territory projecting shorter-term results over an entire season. I'm VERY happy with his performance this year too (going by the eyeball test), but let's not jump too much to conclusions. A month ago, Woodley was projecting for a 16-sack season. (Two years ago, Woodley was projecting at probably over 18 sacks.)
    You can't account for injuries...

Backup
    The last time the PS had a similar quick, pass rush relevant 300 pound 3 - 4 DE was when Ray Seals was here in the mid - 90's. We tend to forget those teams because they never won the big prize, but he had some very productive seasons here on some very good defenses.

For Heyward, Worilds, their time has finally come

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two high draft picks, two disappointments. That is what some considered Jason Worilds and Cam Heyward as the 2013 season unfolded.

Worilds is the linebacker Mike Tomlin pushed his team to draft in the second round in 2010 rather than Penn State’s Sean Lee. While Lee became celebrated for his play in Dallas, Worilds remained a backup for the Steelers.

The Steelers drafted Heyward in the first round in 2011, and he entered his third season as a backup defensive end.

General manager Kevin Colbert’s drafts became more scrutinized when the Steelers lost their first four games this season, and those two picks were used as examples of what went wrong with the team.

How do you like them now? While the Steelers season went nowhere, Worilds and Heyward turned into rising stars, two young shining lights on an otherwise declining defense.

“I think we’ve had some emerging young players on defense, guys like Cam Heyward, who has worked his way into the lineup and established his presence,” Tomlin said. “Obviously, Jason Worilds has taken the misfortune of LaMarr Woodley’s injury and really kind of run with it and established himself as a guy that’s capable of being a consistent reason why we’re successful.”

Worilds had a sack taken away from him by the official NFL statisticians long after the Sunday game against Miami, but he still has had three in the past two games and leads the team with seven. He has been such a force at left outside linebacker that he pushed Woodley over to the right side when he returned to play Sunday after missing three games with a calf injury.

Heyward has four sacks from a position that traditionally does not lend itself to them in a 3-4 defense. He also is tied for the team lead with 25 quarterback pressures — with Worilds.

“You’ve seen continued growth of two young players that we drafted early that we thought a lot of,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said.

Both players found themselves behind veteran behemoths at their positions when they arrived. Worilds was behind Woodley and James Harrison, the 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Heyward was behind Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel and 2009 first-rounder Ziggy Hood.

“But I’ve had the pleasure of just getting to learn from those guys,” Heyward said. “There is so much to learn. I’m just trying to live up to the hype. Those guys have set the bar pretty high, I’m just trying to carry it on.”

He did not start a game in his first two seasons, but spelled Keisel at times at right end in 2012. That occurred more often early this season. He made his first start for an injured Hood in the third game this season, then was promoted over him to start in the fifth game.

Heyward moved to right end with Keisel missing all but seven snaps over the past four games because of a foot injury.

“He was behind some very experienced, knowledgeable players,” LeBeau said. “You could see that Cam was going to be a very impactful player, and I think that’s what he’s been.”

Same for Worilds. He was robbed of valuable practice and training time with his team his second season because of the NFL lockout. Then, in his third season, he had wrist surgery early in 2012 that not only kept him off the field all spring but kept him from replacing Harrison when he missed the first three games because of knee surgery.

The Steelers released Harrison but then drafted outside linebacker Jarvis Jones in the first round this year. That opened and quickly closed the job for Worilds, who started the first game, then was benched in favor of Jones.

Only when Jones did not perform to the coaches’ liking did they turn back to Worilds in the sixth game. He has started every game since, either on the right or left side, and he has performed like the best outside linebackers in the NFL.

“Jason Worilds is playing lights out,” cornerback Ike Taylor said. “I think he finally gets it, I mean being in the NFL as a professional linebacker. It takes a long time to do it consistently.”

Heyward is under contract for 2014, and the Steelers will exercise their option to have him under contract for 2015 by the end of this season.

Worilds is another matter. He would become an unrestricted free agent in March if they do not re-sign him. The better he plays, the higher his price tag goes. They might have to choose between paying him and keeping Woodley.

Green next up for Taylor

Cincinnati’s A.J. Green ranks among the best wide receivers in the NFL — except when Taylor covers him.

Green made the Pro Bowl in his first two seasons in the league and is a favorite to make it 3 for 3. Yet in four games against Taylor, he has been held to 14 catches for 172 yards and two touchdowns, including six receptions for 41 yards.

In the game last season at Heinz Field, Green caught 10 for 116 yards while Taylor was on the injured-reserve list.

“Ike is one of the best corners I go against each year,” Green said.

Taylor often covers the opponent’s best receiver, and some of them have caught quite a few passes against him. Cleveland’s Josh Gordon caught 14 for 237 yards and a touchdown and Detroit’s Calvin Johnson caught six for 179 yards and two touchdowns, although Taylor was not to blame on some of those. He also shut down Johnson for virtually three quarters in that Steelers victory against Detroit.

Added Green, “One thing about Ike, he might give up a big play, but you’re going to see him battle his way back and make a play that actually can change the game. It happens. If you’re a corner, you’re going to get beat sometimes.”

Taylor said he enjoys the challenge of playing against Green for several reasons.

“The thing you like about A.J. Green or Calvin Johnson, they don’t whine or complain, they just play football,” Taylor said. “Even if they’re not getting the ball, they’re still not complaining. They know they’re the man on their team, they know they’re good at what they do in the NFL.

“I think that’s what guys respect most about guys like that — they know they’re good but still humble enough to just play football and understand it’s a team game.”

Green ranks fourth in the AFC with 1,175 yards on 78 receptions and scored eight touchdowns.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2nLdHHoBX

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You can't account for injuries...
    Yes you can.

Don't put 280 lbs. of weight, on hamstrings and legs meant to hold 260 lbs.