Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 9th Pick in Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

If we wasted a 4th round pick taking Landry Jones when we already had Roethlisberger, does that mean that New England really wasted a 3rd round pick taking Ryan Mallett when they already had Brady, and does that mean that Denver really, really wasted a 2nd round pick taking Brock Osweiler when they already had Peyton?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If we wasted a 4th round pick taking Landry Jones when we already had Roethlisberger, does that mean that New England really wasted a 3rd round pick taking Ryan Mallett when they already had Brady, and does that mean that Denver really, really wasted a 2nd round pick taking Brock Osweiler when they already had Peyton?
    In fairness, Denver and NE didn't already have a Gradkowski on their rosters with an extended contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am ok with investing a pick as a backup QB, but I wasn't thrilled by the selection of Jones as that guy. He looked awful in the preseason and I have still yet to see a report that says anything positive about his work in practice or otherwise. Jones was also questionable from a value standpoint. Was he any better than the kid from Tulane or Miami of Ohio? Any better than McGloin? Tyler Bray? Selecting Jones there just seemed like a poor value. Especially when considering that the Steelers gave up an early third round pick in 2014 for Schmarko.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I am ok with investing a pick as a backup QB, but I wasn't thrilled by the selection of Jones as that guy. He looked awful in the preseason and I have still yet to see a report that says anything positive about his work in practice or otherwise. Jones was also questionable from a value standpoint. Was he any better than the kid from Tulane or Miami of Ohio? Any better than McGloin? Tyler Bray? Selecting Jones there just seemed like a poor value. Especially when considering that the Steelers gave up an early third round pick in 2014 for Schmarko.
    Why do you thinks Jones was poor value. His career at Oklahoma would not indicate 'poor value'.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Why do you thinks Jones was poor value. His career at Oklahoma would not indicate 'poor value'.
    He seemed to be a guy that struggled with pressure - not what you want with a backup QB. Also, I think he was a poor value because I don't think there was much to separate his potential as an NFL QB from any of the other guys I listed in my post.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think we wasted the pick taking Jones. I think we wasted the pick getting rid of Hoyer and being forced to take someone like Jones.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    all you do is complain about the same thing over and over and over again. You hate the QB pick last year... we got it the 50th time you typed it.
    says the guy with 11,000 posts.

I'm sure all of those 11,000 were original.

look in the mirror old timer

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    says the guy with 11,000 posts.

I'm sure all of those 11,000 were original.

look in the mirror old timer
    Blow harder... lol

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Nix is a good player. But, he is not much of a pass rusher, and he has ended both of the last seasons with injuries. It is hard to take a DL in the top ten who does not get after the QB in today's NFL.

You have a valid point in regards to the injuries Blood. However i feel as though Nix does indeed have the talent, skill set and will to be the spearhead of our defense. As a 3-4 NT's job is to control his gap, dominate the point of attack, demand a double team every down and pressure and or collapse the pocket with consistency.

He is not necessarily there to get after the QB in a "sexy" manner in terms of sacks.

That is the job of the LB corp,...which is made easier to do so because the DE's then have the potential to be very effective against the run while absorbing blockers because of the aforementioned performance by said NT.

It's also my opinion that Nix is the only NT prospect of this draft with the proper temperment to play in a 3-4. He is aggressive, confident and not lazy.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    A NT being "hard to find" is what makes the long term sustainability of the 3-4 questionable. As we have seen after Hampton, they are very, very hard to find and if you do find one you are going to have to pay through the nose to keep him. I would not take Nix in the Top 10 either.
    So which OT would you take in the top ten to cater to a Qb that for the most part of his career has (and it appears always will) struggle to lead offenses that put up actual points ? And just merely at best somewhat consistently perform successfully between the 20 yard lines even with solid O-line play,... and in the past exceptional receivers and a TE to bail him out with improvisation and YAC.

I feel where you are coming from dude,....but i gotta say go defense.
    Last edited by Rod Polamalu; 12-12-2013 at 03:00 AM.