Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 111

Thread: 9th Pick in Draft

  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    shawn- if you are talking about mcullers from TN, the steelers should stay away from him. I have heard he tried to quit the team with a month to go in the season. He is just a big body, nothing more.

    I have seen a couple of beat writers say the exact opposite. If landry jones is the steelers starter we are back to mediocrity or worse.
    I agree about McCullers. This crop of NTs are slim pickins. As for Jones, I don't much care about beat writers opinions. Jones was seen as a possible replacement to Ben in the future. To say he will be great or crap is premature. I like the kid, like his arm...like the growth we seen in a short preseason...but he has a LONG ways to go. They rolled the dice...lets see if it works out.

  2. #72
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,059
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think a better question is what other team would say "our RB is playing very good so lets stop him ourselves?"

    1st quarter: Bell 9 carries... 40 yards. On the drive we fed him it resulted in a TD.

    2nd qtr: 1 carry.. 4 yards.

    then in the 3rd quarter..

    run for 6, pass for 10, run for 9... end result TD

    4th quarter..

    pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass...

    If we just fed the kid against the 25th rushing D we would have probably won.
    No, then everyone would be p1ssing and moaning that it's a passing league and asking why the steelers are giving the ball to a rookie back 25-27 times a game, even if they win the game.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #73
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462
    Nix would make a good addition but he isn't Top 10 to me. I think with the knee surgery & the possible "weigh in" he is outside the Top 20. It is hard to find a true NT in this draft. Nix is definitely one but I think Ryan Carrethers may be another & he is a 4th-5th round kid at best right now.



  4. #74
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,433
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Nix would make a good addition but he isn't Top 10 to me. I think with the knee surgery & the possible "weigh in" he is outside the Top 20. It is hard to find a true NT in this draft. Nix is definitely one but I think Ryan Carrethers may be another & he is a 4th-5th round kid at best right now.

    A NT being "hard to find" is what makes the long term sustainability of the 3-4 questionable. As we have seen after Hampton, they are very, very hard to find and if you do find one you are going to have to pay through the nose to keep him. I would not take Nix in the Top 10 either.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    nobody said landry jones was going to save the season.

    it was a dumb pick considering all of the holes on this roster. Gradkowski was on a 3 year deal and a competent backup. Absolutely no need to waste a 4th on his backup. There were plenty of more pressing needs as we have seen this year.

    and calling him BPA in the 4th is pretty stupid. Most sites had him rated at least a round lower.
    No, nobody said that Jones would save the season...

    But, some people imply that a different player, available in the 4th round, selected instead of Jones, would be the ticket to the playoffs...

  6. #76
    BTW:

    CBS Sports rated him in the 3rd round
    NFL.com rated him as a 2nd round QB
    NFLdraftscout.com = rd 3-4
    NFLsfuture.com= rd 3-4
    Walterfootball.com = rd 2

    Just a few...

  7. #77
    some people(me) are implying that we had no business spending a 4th on a long term project at the backup QB position.

    wouldn't it be nice to have a CB,FS,ILB, or possibly a TE already in the system and preparing to help this team next year?

    there were way too many holes up and down the roster as we have seen this year. Nobody said that player would be the "ticket to the playoffs", that's your hyperbole. Don't cry when our selection comes up in the top 10 of the 3rd round and cleveland walks to the podium. We could have just as easily used our own 4th on shark and retained our 3rd next year. Backup backup QBs are non essential and can be found on the waiver wire.

  8. #78
    Short term gain, long term loss...

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    some people(me) are implying that we had no business spending a 4th on a long term project at the backup QB position.

    wouldn't it be nice to have a CB,FS,ILB, or possibly a TE already in the system and preparing to help this team next year?

    there were way too many holes up and down the roster as we have seen this year. Nobody said that player would be the "ticket to the playoffs", that's your hyperbole. Don't cry when our selection comes up in the top 10 of the 3rd round and cleveland walks to the podium. We could have just as easily used our own 4th on shark and retained our 3rd next year. Backup backup QBs are non essential and can be found on the waiver wire.
    And if Ben drops off or has a career ending injury in the next couple years, fans would ask why weren't the Steelers developing someone? With this OL, didn't the Steeler see this coming? Personally, I am glad they are working on a replacement for Ben in the future.

  10. #80
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    No, nobody said that Jones would save the season...

    But, some people imply that a different player, available in the 4th round, selected instead of Jones, would be the ticket to the playoffs...
    If Jones develops over the next few years a a potentially solid starter the 4th round pick will be a steal as opposed to burning a Round 1 or 2 pick because we are desperate and have to have someone immediately. The front office took the wise position of taking someone with upside who through a more measured approach they will have a very good feel about when Ben gets to within a year or so of retirement. That will potentially save them from reacting versus the course they are now on. QB is the most important position in the NFL nowadays and we got at best a solid starter and at worst a good #2 for a less than premium pick. If you were honest you would have to recognize that as value if you put aside your agendas.

    You are right though that some want to portray getting an unnamed player with that 4th round pick would have somehow added 3-4 wins this year or next.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •