Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: This D is awful

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    LeBeau's D hasn't been great for years despite the lofty numbers. They haven't been able to stop a good passing team for as long as I can remember, now they can't stop the run either.
    Yep. Teams with a competent QB have had it figured out for several years not. Unfortunately Coach LeBeau doesn't know or won't admit he has been figured out.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Aging players...draft picks, classes not stepping up...playing guys that shouldn't be starters and taking years for guys to develop. Signing old players when they should be looking at free agents.... It goes on and on.
    This is the core of the problem, at this point...

The system has been predicated on bringing players along slowly and allowing them to develop...the problem is, when those players are finally contributing, they become free agents...in the meantime, we've paid veterans that prohibit us from keeping young talent and putting us against the cap...normally, we'd have young players ready to step up, but that 2008 draft killed us...only Ziggy is left from the 2009 draft...that talent/development gap forced the Steelers hand to keep giving money to older vets...

Now, Worilds is in the final year of his contract and finally playing well...much like Keenan Lewis last year..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yep. Teams with a competent QB have had it figured out for several years not. Unfortunately Coach LeBeau doesn't know or won't admit he has been figured out.
    you have to adapt to stay in business...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This is the core of the problem, at this point...

The system has been predicated on bringing players along slowly and allowing them to develop...the problem is, when those players are finally contributing, they become free agents...in the meantime, we've paid veterans that prohibit us from keeping young talent and putting us against the cap...normally, we'd have young players ready to step up, but that 2008 draft killed us...only Ziggy is left from the 2009 draft...that talent/development gap forced the Steelers hand to keep giving money to older vets...

Now, Worilds is in the final year of his contract and finally playing well...much like Keenan Lewis last year..
    Worilds is playing better since he switched sides... but is he going to play better if we resign him? Seems like our players are playing well enough to get paid but that's about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Worilds is playing better since he switched sides... but is he going to play better if we resign him? Seems like our players are playing well enough to get paid but that's about it.
    That may be true, but what are your options to avoid this type of thing? You would need a Sports Psychologist on staff to try and determine if a player will take the money and run or take the money and be motivated to play up to the standards of the contract.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Also remember this was MIAMI in the SNOW...

an O that never scored more than 27 points...

and a 2nd year QB who never played in the snow...

We are the cure for whatever sickness an offense has all year. We are the only team that makes Tebow look like Montana and makes every no name athlete look like a Hofer. It's a Pittsburgh thing.
    All of your points are dead-on correct and it's insane when you look at them as a whole. It's inconceivable (and yes, that word means what I think it means) to lose at home, in the snow, to a team from Miami.

This team has now lost to Hasselbeck (who was 2nd string and hadn't played a game all season up to that game), Pryor (set record for longest TD run by Raider) and Tannehill, playing in the snow for the first time. You can also add Brady having the third greatest game of his entire career this season.

And they have allowed a play of 50 yards or better in 11 out of 13 games. How is that even possible? Coaching or talent, doesn't really matter when it's as putrid as this. Hard to watch most games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

what people are missing, is that every time Worilds is giving the opportunity he performs well. In his limited time he gets a sack with less plays than even Woodley (I read that on a site years ago) But yet he was playing behind Pro Bowlers and along with Dick playing his favorites how could he see the field.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Front 7 is in better shape than the back 4. ILB may be fixed on roster...Steelers have that answer. Could use a traditional NT but I would look in FA first to fill that hole. 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary have hit the 30 fall off this year. The balance if gone for compensate for game plans. The Steelers have to pick their poison. Time to say goodbye to Clark, Taylor, & Troy. Taylor & Troy can stick around for about 4 mil paycuts. That is up to them. Even if they do, they don't see the field because of the name on the back of their jersey in '14.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    LeBeau's D hasn't been great for years despite the lofty numbers. They haven't been able to stop a good passing team for as long as I can remember, now they can't stop the run either.
    So apparently now it's yards given up that is more important than scoring defense?.... guess I missed that part of the standard.

Using this logic, we should claim the Steelers offense is great. Look at all the yards they gain between the 20s.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    All of your points are dead-on correct and it's insane when you look at them as a whole. It's inconceivable (and yes, that word means what I think it means) to lose at home, in the snow, to a team from Miami.

This team has now lost to Hasselbeck (who was 2nd string and hadn't played a game all season up to that game), Pryor (set record for longest TD run by Raider) and Tannehill, playing in the snow for the first time. You can also add Brady having the third greatest game of his entire career this season.

And they have allowed a play of 50 yards or better in 11 out of 13 games. How is that even possible? Coaching or talent, doesn't really matter when it's as putrid as this. Hard to watch most games.
    Also an offense that hasn't scored a touch down in the fourth quarter. A quarterback that has been sacked most in the NFL and the Steelers can't do anything about it other than what fetlzdizzy had to say in, the Steelers are the cure .