Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: This D is awful

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I agree. DL just doesn't have the talent that used to be there. We gotta get some better players on D and let Coach LeBeau teach em.
    Teach em what? Seems like when we teach a DB we release him because we value the raw talent who cant grasp the scheme.

Legend

User Info Menu

Isn't it DL who's teaching them to have an 8-10 yard cushion when it's 3rd and 3? The D backs aren't uniformly lining up that way on their own.

They seemed very surprised Tannehill had wheels and could use them. That should not have caught them off guard. They look I'll prepared a majority of the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's an exaggeration to say LeBeaus defenses never get pressure. When the talent is there, the sacks occur and it really hasn't been all that long ago they had the talent for a 40 sack season. In fact, the chart shows remarkable consistency DESPITE the rules instituted to favor the offense;
    chart.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's an exaggeration to say LeBeaus defenses never get pressure. When the talent is there, the sacks occur and it really hasn't been all that long ago they had the talent for a 40 sack season. In fact, the chart shows remarkable consistency DESPITE the rules instituted to favor the offense;
    chart.jpg
    When the talent isn't there you need to be more creative IMO. Cornerback blitz would be nice from time to time when facing a QB who never plaued in snow...

Seattle found a bunch of cast offs and built a nice secondary. Its isnt a bunch of high draft picks at every position. Do we really need talent all over the field for a great DC to dial up some pressure?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sure Troy is good for a splash play from time to time but overall this D is trash.

I know Haley is a good punching bag but this D gives up way too many 3rd downs at critical times.

I ised to have faith in our D. They would close out games and get after the QB... now they play good for 2 downs and screw up on 3rd down. After we score its damn near automatic the D will give it back.

Lebeau... its been fun but its time to move on. 10 yard cushion in the red zone? Smh...
    I 100% agree. It's time to do something different.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

When the talent isn't there you need to be more creative IMO. Cornerback blitz would be nice from time to time when facing a QB who never plaued in snow...

Seattle found a bunch of cast offs and built a nice secondary. Its isnt a bunch of high draft picks at every position. Do we really need talent all over the field for a great DC to dial up some pressure?
    Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner and Kam Chancellor aren't exactly cast-offs.

in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 the Seahawks won 4 games, 5 games, 7 games and 7 games. They had 4-straight awful seasons to stockpile draft picks. Reaping the benefits now.
    Last edited by steelsnis; 12-08-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Woodson, Lake, Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Brown ... The Steelers have traditionally had that type of defense during the 3-4 era ...
    You give a list of GREAT FORMER PLAYERS then say THE COACH is the problem? Same coach back then.
    Ever consider that when to have you can have the THIRD HIGHEST RECORDED SACK ARTIST IN HISTORY (Greene) 14 sacks, Lloyd 10 sacks, Brown 8.5 sacks and possibly the best pure pass rushing 3/4 defensive end this team has ever seen Rays Seals 7 sacks, a FUTURE HALL OF FAMER like ROD Woodson can line up a whole lot tighter than Williams stinkin Gay with the relative bums we have today rushing the passer.

Same coach different results.
    It aint scheme its talent.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-08-2013 at 11:40 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner and Kam Chancellor aren't exactly cast-offs.

in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 the Seahawks won 4 games, 5 games, 7 games and 7 games. They had 4-straight awful seasons to stockpile draft picks. Reaping the benefits now.
    Pats also stockpile draft picks... I understand its cyclical and teams like the Panthers, 49ers and Seahawks are surging but I heard the Seahawks found a few cast offs who have chips on their shoulders due to being snubbed by other teams.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/sports/football/seahawks-towering-secondary-is-batting-away-conventional-wisdom.html?_r=0[/url]

DB has 2 fifth rounders at are 6"-2" and an undrafted guy from the CFL

We had Lewis and didn't give him an offer. I like Shark but I think we need some players who have something to prove.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anyway...........Polamalu missed that tackle badly, but he looked like friggin' Superman on the pick 6. What a great player over the years - HOF.

Backup

User Info Menu

You did mention it but anytime there is a thread about the D someone has to bring up Haley.

I'm not sold on Worilds... he is playing better but all of a sudden people act like he is JH because they don't like Woodley. I think it will be easy to keep him.

Just saw Keenan Lewis has 3 INTs to lead the Saints... how in the hell did we think Brownor whoever would be a better fit? I swear its like DL and company are seeing a totally different set of skills than the rest of the NFL. I truly believe catching INT's is of little value in DL's scheme.
    I actually like Woodley ... when he's healthy. I think they overpaid him, but that can and will happen when you don't allow back ups to develop because "the system is to complicated". Makes it kinda hard to say "well, we've got the next guy coming up anyway". Now maybe it's just because it's a contract year, but Worilds has been playing good ball .... with the caveat that his good ball has occurred on the left side only.
    As far as DL and the rest not seeing the skill set that the rest of the NFL covets ... it's kind of weird because in Ike Taylor DL actually started the standard for long, fast hard hitting corners to counter the way the NFL was moving ... then they got Lewis and Allen so I thought they had "it" as far as evaluation ... but, NO.. so, I'm confused about the talent evaluation as far as DBs go ... and don't get me started with sitting Heyward for so long while Ziggy Hood got opportunity after opportunity to show us .... NOTHING