Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This D is awful

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I agree about the D. And like I said, I wouldn't shed tears if DL retired or was replaced. I think there comes a time when there needs to be a new voice heard and this is probably that time. Only person I know that has a "job for life" is the Pope.
    The D is definitely the MAJOR problem. But Haley is also a problem. In short, the D is terrible and the O is schizophrenic. Does not lend itself to a winning season.
    If someone made a post about the lack of runs in the second quarter I would chime in. I'm not a fan of Haley but I don't think he is the reason we are struggling.

Did anuone have faith when our D trotted on the field? Remember when we lpoked forward to seeing our D crush opponents?

Until we get another James Harrison or Joey P I think we will continue to have problems. We don't have that voice on D and its clear its affecting our play.

Teams feared us... even if they won the game they left town with a few losses. Teams WANT to play us because whatever funk they are in will be cured because we give teams hope.

Backup

User Info Menu

I didn't make a thread about the lack of runs in second quarter or second half ... but I thought I mentioned it in this one (must've been on twitter). I don't think Haley brings one thing to this team that outweighs his deficiencies.

No faith at all in the D ... except I was hoping that Heyward would make an impact play. In the time that he's been starting, he's been the most consistent player on this defense. Surprisingly, Worilds on the left is probably tied with Timmons for second in that category. But, Heyward is making a statement that he can be that "voice" you are talking about. Need to surround him and Worilds (if we can keep him) with some playmakers in the secondary. Our DBs are either to old/slow or too young/inexperienced.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seems that the rules changes have made it much more difficult to have dominating defenses. The D's that look most effective are the aggressive, pressure defenses,and there aren't many that do it well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense...
    In my messed up head it makes sense. The defense is awful and it's not just coaching. The defense has gotten old, slow and fundamentally unsound. No coach can improve this disaster with this cast of characters. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Seems that the rules changes have made it much more difficult to have dominating defenses. The D's that look most effective are the aggressive, pressure defenses,and there aren't many that do it well.
    Woodson, Lake, Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Brown ... The Steelers have traditionally had that type of defense during the 3-4 era ... now we sit back passively while teams carve us (and our 10 yd cushions) up. It's like DL can't or worse won't adapt to the "NEW" era of offense ... truthfully, I think it's "won't" because we have seen him put together the occasional gameplan that shuts down even the best ... then toss it on the shelf like yesterday's newspaper.

I guess if I had a fan base clamoring for me to have a "job for life", I'd be hesitant to change anything too ... Heck, according to the fans, what he was doing in the past was good enough that he can do no wrong in the present ... so why change?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    In my messed up head it makes sense. The defense is awful and it's not just coaching. The defense has gotten old, slow and fundamentally unsound. No coach can improve this disaster with this cast of characters. You have your opinion, I have mine.
    I agree. DL just doesn't have the talent that used to be there. We gotta get some better players on D and let Coach LeBeau teach em.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Thank you and Dick doesn't believe in this, his is bend but don't break and don't get beat deep. But guess what it ain't working. How many times did he send 4 OR LESS? Probably 95% of the time, I certainly didn't see many pressures.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I agree. DL just doesn't have the talent that used to be there. We gotta get some better players on D and let Coach LeBeau teach em.
    This is exactly what doesn't make sense, he knows the secondary can't cover long so why not got out fighting instead of making Tannahill look like Marino. Most good QB crack when pressure is applied but yet 4+ below tier QB have had success against us.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I didn't make a thread about the lack of runs in second quarter or second half ... but I thought I mentioned it in this one (must've been on twitter). I don't think Haley brings one thing to this team that outweighs his deficiencies.

No faith at all in the D ... except I was hoping that Heyward would make an impact play. In the time that he's been starting, he's been the most consistent player on this defense. Surprisingly, Worilds on the left is probably tied with Timmons for second in that category. But, Heyward is making a statement that he can be that "voice" you are talking about. Need to surround him and Worilds (if we can keep him) with some playmakers in the secondary. Our DBs are either to old/slow or too young/inexperienced.
    You did mention it but anytime there is a thread about the D someone has to bring up Haley.

I'm not sold on Worilds... he is playing better but all of a sudden people act like he is JH because they don't like Woodley. I think it will be easy to keep him.

Just saw Keenan Lewis has 3 INTs to lead the Saints... how in the hell did we think Brownor whoever would be a better fit? I swear its like DL and company are seeing a totally different set of skills than the rest of the NFL. I truly believe catching INT's is of little value in DL's scheme.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    No... Haley is an easy punching bag because he is the OC. I'm not a fan but he isn't the problem. This D RARELY makes a play to win a game. This D continues to give up 3rd down conversions on 3rd and 7 or more.

Miami has never scored more than 27 points this season... until they play us.
    Tannehill never played in the snow... but he looks like Marino.
    If the QB keeps the ball on a zone read... huge gain.
    Freaking Tebow.... nuff said.

I'm sorry but even the best need to retire at some point. There is no doubt in my mind DL is one of the best that ever did it but times up. Its obvious his complex D isn't being taught at the college level and he is stunting growth.

Yes to this. The Steelers defense is currently ranked 25th in opponent 3rd down conversion allowing 40%. It's been a long time since we have seen such dismal play from this unit. Then again, we are biased, having enjoyed stellar defenses for over a decade.