Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This D is awful

Legend

User Info Menu

Miami did score 2 TDs on turnovers on an INT and blocked punt. And the D did score one of the TDs.

Aside from 3 big plays, the D was ok. The area where they did really struggle was getting a consistent pass rush. But that's been a problem for 3 years.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    But please, don't let the inept nature of the Defense cloud the fact that this offense, when Haley is doing a majority of the play calling is stale and conservative. Additionally, Haley shows an alarmingly consistent tendency to go away from what's working. Hey, the run game was FANTASTIC in the first half ... So, let's start lobbing the ball all around the field in the second. The guy can design some great plays, but as an "in game play caller" he leaves a whole helluva lot to be desired.
    Haley & his playcalling has not been the problem for the majority of the season. A lot of people dislike him for his past and I can see why. With that being said, people being critical of Haley the majority of this season have no basis for that. I don't really "like" the guy, but he is not the problem. I can easily find more fault in Lebeau this season than Haley and it's not even close. If you don't like Haley personally than just say it.... but Haley hasn't been the problem this season.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Per Tom Bradley on the radio out of Pittsburgh... And you what? I agree..... I quote- "There is no better DC in the entire football community in the United States than D!ck LeBeau."

Bradley says that he will be back as DC as long as he wants to be DC. It's his call.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Backup

User Info Menu

Williams is a rookie 6th round pick. What are we expecting?

Steve McLendon is the Artist Formerly Known as Kimo von Oelhoffen. Same player. Good thing we're lousy enough to get a shot at drafting Louis Nix so we can move him over to DE and kick Ziggy to the curb. That guy was a mistake from the outset. Every pre - draft publication I read had him as an excellent fit as a 4 - 3 under tackle type player, not the kind of 2 gap slide and hold your ground lineman we look for.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Per Tom Bradley on the radio out of Pittsburgh... And you what? I agree..... I quote- "There is no better DC in the entire football community in the United States than D!ck LeBeau."

Bradley says that he will be back as DC as long as he wants to be DC. It's his call.
    Apparently, Bradley hasn't watched a whole lot of Steelers football this season.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Haley & his playcalling has not been the problem for the majority of the season. A lot of people dislike him for his past and I can see why. With that being said, people being critical of Haley the majority of this season have no basis for that. I don't really "like" the guy, but he is not the problem. I can easily find more fault in Lebeau this season than Haley and it's not even close. If you don't like Haley personally than just say it.... but Haley hasn't been the problem this season.
    I think it's the opposite of what you're saying. Haley's been a model citizen since he's been hired. It's really hard to question him as a person which should be easy given his past and the fact that he gets along with no one. But for some reason, he's been a choirboy since he's been in Pittsburgh.

For me it's his play calling and formations that generally drive me nuts when it comes to Haley. And the whole reason we brought him in was to help the running game and to keep Ben healthy and from taking so many hits. And neither of those things have really changed. So where I have a problem is what has he really done as a football coach.

I think we can look at him objectively as a football coach. I'm just not sure I've heard anyone who's been able to articulate what Haley's added to the offense?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm ready to see Worilds get the starting job next season and heck, even this season over Woodley. Allow Woodley and his fat paycheck test the waters of a different team. Yes, we need another Casey Hampton, Joel Steed type but the problem is, every team grabs up these guys now. I agree, you put up 28 points on your home field, you should win the game. The defense let us down again. The fact is, the talent is just not there on the defense. Too old of players and the young ones are either finding their way or not at all.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't like Haley as an offensive Coordinator ... I don't like what I've heard of him as a person (I've never met the dude so can only base a "personal" dislike on what I've heard). As a Coordinator, it seems that our roughest games have come when he is the one doing the playcalling ... today is another example of that. Actually, he has some really well designed plays. I don't think he calls a good game though.
    and his ability to take away what has been working for us in any given game is astounding.

I agree that the Defense has been terrible this year also. While I like DL as a Coordinator, I would not be among the heartbroken if he were to retire or be let go. It may be time for a new voice to be heard on the defensive side of the ball.
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 12-08-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    kick Ziggy to the curb. That guy was a mistake from the outset. Every pre - draft publication I read had him as an excellent fit as a 4 - 3 under tackle type player, not the kind of 2 gap slide and hold your ground lineman we look for.
    Yeah but he (Hood) was a great ego pick on the part of Tomlin so as to "not be enamored with the talent" of that year's ILB class. Or at least that was the excuse,.... when in reality it was a matter of not wanting to bring in another backer that his "baby" Timmons could not outperform. lol smh
    Last edited by Rod Polamalu; 12-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Apparently, Bradley hasn't watched a whole lot of Steelers football this season.
    Well, the guy is a retired defensive coach and probably knows these guys personally, so I respect his thoughts. You can not argue the fact that the guy is an excellent teacher.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion