Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: This D is awful

Legend

User Info Menu

"It isn't a question of the game zooming past 75-year-old defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. It's a matter of having enough talented players to make schemes work."

hmm... here's an interesting discussion point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    "It isn't a question of the game zooming past 75-year-old defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. It's a matter of having enough talented players to make schemes work."

hmm... here's an interesting discussion point.
    It's a matter of the 75 year old coach not being able to comprehend he doesn't have the talent and being willing to adapt and make the potentially significant changes that matches scheme to what players you actually have and not the ones you wish you had. Isn't that what leadership and coaching is about...putting your people in position to suceed?

The fact is that 75 year olds aren't typically flexible and willing to change. I think we see that every Sunday in spades.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm actually seeing DL making significant changes this year. Hell, troy is playing ILB on seemingly half the snaps. Not saying that its working, but he is making adjustments in scheme and personell.

more talent than coaching, IMO, though neither is above criticism.

and that goes for the head coach too, who oversees this disaster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    So apparently now it's yards given up that is more important than scoring defense?.... guess I missed that part of the standard.

Using this logic, we should claim the Steelers offense is great. Look at all the yards they gain between the 20s.
    This is what some people are not seeing. For years the Steelers padded D stats against poor teams, utterly dominating run predominate teams. They also played a slower O than many teams...for years eating clock with the running game. But, when it came to the upper tier teams, the spread O franchise QB teams, the Steelers struggled mightily and never had the O power to keep up. We know this by history. Now, the Steelers can't even pad stats against bad teams. While some of this is on the D talent...I don't think it's all that. Lebeau has his part in all of this, and if you ask me D coaching is the biggest problem we have this year.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's a matter of the 75 year old coach not being able to comprehend he doesn't have the talent and being willing to adapt and make the potentially significant changes that matches scheme to what players you actually have and not the ones you wish you had. Isn't that what leadership and coaching is about...putting your people in position to suceed?

The fact is that 75 year olds aren't typically flexible and willing to change. I think we see that every Sunday in spades.
    So tell me, how often does the coach make this 'switch in theme'? Draft guys that fit a 4-3, then lose a few to FA, do you switch back to a 3-4 or go looking for a 4-3 replacement? There is a reason why more teams have gone to a 3-4 over the last few years than vice versa. It works, even in this pass-happy league. Horton has put together a strong 3-4 in CLE. Had NE on the ropes until the end. If it wasn't for crap refs, they win in NE.

It doesn't take more than one player to tip the balance. Just need to find that guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So tell me, how often does the coach make this 'switch in theme'? Draft guys that fit a 4-3, then lose a few to FA, do you switch back to a 3-4 or go looking for a 4-3 replacement? There is a reason why more teams have gone to a 3-4 over the last few years than vice versa. It works, even in this pass-happy league. Horton has put together a strong 3-4 in CLE. Had NE on the ropes until the end. If it wasn't for crap refs, they win in NE.

It doesn't take more than one player to tip the balance. Just need to find that guy.
    Don't bother. Some people are unable to adapt and make significant changes to their year in and year out mantra. I pay more attention to those who have actually played or coached defense in the league. They are the professionals.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The talent we have on defense wouldn't work regardless of scheme. Hell if the scheme had 12 guys on the field it wouldn't work.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Don't bother. Some people are unable to adapt and make significant changes to their year in and year out mantra. I pay more attention to those who have actually played or coached defense in the league. They are the professionals.

Isn't it amazing that senile old DL cant learn new tricks like a young coach, can't innovate and adapt to his players? Apparently only a young coach knows how to do these things (or wants to do them). In some ways I hope DL decides to retire. It will be the only way we will get to understand what we will be missing. Of course, then it will be all about coach X not being the right guy if the defense tumbles to the bottom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Isn't it amazing that senile old DL cant learn new tricks like a young coach, can't innovate and adapt to his players? Apparently only a young coach knows how to do these things (or wants to do them). In some ways I hope DL decides to retire. It will be the only way we will get to understand what we will be missing. Of course, then it will be all about coach X not being the right guy if the defense tumbles to the bottom.
    who was that joker we had before DL? I can't remember his name but he was terrible.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It will be the only way we will get to understand what we will be missing.
    Kinda like how we are missing James Harrison and his leadership this year after some had called for his release the past several years.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.