Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Worilds should play LOLB

Jason Worilds should play LOLB

Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley was a full participant in practice on Thursday, making it likely he will play Sunday if he doesn’t suffer any setbacks.

What appears to be more in question is where Woodley will be playing when the Steelers host the Dolphins in a 1 p.m. ET game that is a must-win contest for each team.

Woodley has sent mixed signals this week, saying he is staying at left outside linebacker while also acknowledging that he would need little to no practice time at right outside linebacker before playing it in a game.

Mike Tomlin has seemed more open than ever to flipping his outside linebackers, and the fashion in which Jason Worilds has dominated from the left side should be the biggest consideration when the seventh-year coach tries to maximize the Steelers’ two best pass-rushers.

Woodley has missed the past three games with a calf strain, and during that span Worilds has passed the seventh-year veteran for the team lead in sacks with six. He has also established himself at left outside linebacker perhaps for the rest of this season – and beyond 2013.

It makes all the sense in the world for Tomlin to keep Worilds at left outside linebacker and accommodate him even though Woodley is the highest-paid defensive player in Steelers history as well as seventh on the team’s all-time sack list.

Worilds is simply the better and more reliable player right now, and Woodley has said he is willing and able to adjust.

“I think that our guys can play on either side,” Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “We kind of practice in that way, more so in training camp than when we get in the actual season. We try to plan for the unexpected, if you will. That means guys have to be able to move around and play other positions. LaMarr, I think, is certainly athletic enough to play anywhere we put him, maybe at nose tackle. I think he’d do OK.”

LeBeau smiled after the last line.

Woodley isn’t lining up at nose tackle even though it looks more and more likely that Steve McLendon will miss a second consecutive game because of a high-ankle sprain.

Not should he line up at left outside linebacker if Worilds has played well enough there to make the job his to lose.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...95&src=desktop

Steelers notebook: Woodley practices but unsure where he'll play

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, out for three games with a calf injury, was a full practice participant Thursday.

He said he is practicing on the left side, his normal position, and there is no indication yet that he might swap sides and move to the right side because of Jason Worilds' recent strong production on the left side.

“I think our guys can play on either side. We kind of practice that way. … We try to plan for the unexpected,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said.

• Rookie wide receiver Markus Wheaton has played only seven snaps in two games after being on the field for 49 against Detroit. He missed five games with a broken finger, but his rookie season production — six catches for 64 yards — isn't close to what the Steelers expected. “He had some setbacks,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. “The guys that played were playing at a high level. … But he's continued to work and get better.”

• Only three Steelers players have been on the field for every offensive or defensive snap: Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons. It's a welcome change for Roethlisberger and Polamalu, both of whom missed appreciable time with injuries last season. Staying in the lineup is enabling Roethlisberger to average 261.8 yards passing, up from 236.7 yards per game last season.

• The Dolphins are paying $60 million to Mike Wallace (56 catches, 13.3 average), but he isn't their leading receiver. Brian Hartline leads them with 62 catches. “They got two No. 1 receivers,” cornerback William Gay said. “That's how you've got to look at it. Both guys get paid to be the No. 1 receiver.”

• LeBeau on the Steelers' defense giving up 13 catches of 25 yards or longer in the past five games: “I would say that they're not really throwing it deeper any more than they ever have. It just appears to me that they're catching it a little more often than they did.”

• Offensive lineman Cody Wallace has spent time with four NFL teams, but he hasn't started a game — until now. Despite a wait that began in 2008, he didn't put in a large ticket request for family members. “Just two. My wife and my son,” he said. “That's all that's here with me.”

• After allowing only one sack in three games with the same offensive line configuration, the Steelers will use their 26th line combination in four seasons Sunday. Mike Adams is expected to start at left tackle for the first time since allowing 3 1⁄2 sacks against Minnesota, and Cody Wallace will make his first start in his five NFL seasons. If David DeCastro (foot) can't start at right guard, Guy Whimper will go. “It's kind of a challenge every week just putting together the best five we can on the field,” Wallace said.

• After being held to 24 yards receiving or fewer in three of his first four games with the Dolphins, Mike Wallace has 12 catches, 209 yards and two touchdowns in the past two games. LeBeau said, “They're going to throw the ball deep to him some. They do every week. Some weeks he gets there, and some weeks they don't complete them. We've got to make it one of the weeks they don't get us deep.” The Steelers already have allowed 22 completions of 25 yards or more, the third most of LeBeau's tenure.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2mgh8TR2R

Legend
    But isn't Worilds another Tomlin "bust?"
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Woodley at nose tackle comment. Was that dig about his weight ? I for one was calling Worilds a bust and I hope he proves me wrong. Woodley sure proved me wrong. I screamed from the mountain tops that he needs signed with his last contract and you see where my wishes got us.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

• LeBeau on the Steelers' defense giving up 13 catches of 25 yards or longer in the past five games: “I would say that they're not really throwing it deeper any more than they ever have. It just appears to me that they're catching it a little more often than they did.”

OMG! Talk about an example of being in total denial and not being able to admit your "baby is ugly"

How about not having your strong safety play on the defensive line or run himself out of position by moving him all over the field? How about putting more pressure on the QB by letting Timmons (your best athlete on the defense) blitz more?

If this isn't an example of a need for change I'm confused.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Post-Miami thoughts

Sunday, December 08, 2013
    by Dale Lolley

@ And no, there's no way the Steelers can afford to allow Jason Worilds to walk.

There really isn't a comparison between Worilds and Keenan Lewis. Lewis made some plays last season, but nothing nearly as impactful as the way Worilds has played. Lewis is also 27 this season, while Worilds is 25 and would play an entire 4-year contract extension under the age of 30.

The Steelers might have tipped their hand with what they're planning with Worilds when they kept him at left outside linebacker and moved LaMarr Woodley to the other side.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot....-thoughts.html

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Post-Miami thoughts

Sunday, December 08, 2013
    by Dale Lolley

@ And no, there's no way the Steelers can afford to allow Jason Worilds to walk.

There really isn't a comparison between Worilds and Keenan Lewis. Lewis made some plays last season, but nothing nearly as impactful as the way Worilds has played. Lewis is also 27 this season, while Worilds is 25 and would play an entire 4-year contract extension under the age of 30.

The Steelers might have tipped their hand with what they're planning with Worilds when they kept him at left outside linebacker and moved LaMarr Woodley to the other side.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot....-thoughts.html
    Keep Worilds and let Woodley 'pretend" to play on the right until JJ or the next guy can push him out the door.

What would be YOUR final say on what happens with the OLB situation after this season?

Gerry Dulac:

Well, if its up to me, I make sure to re-sgn Jason Worilds for starters. And I say that not just because Worilds has played himself into some type of good contract, but also because outside linebacker is THE most important position in the Steelers 3-4 defense and you better have more than two of them because of injuries. Despite what is believed to be his potential, Jarvis Jones has not shown enough in his rookie season to unequivocally convince everyone he is the big-time answer at right OLB. If you keep just two of them and someone gets hurt, the dropoff to the next player is significant.

That being said, the salary cap might dictate otherwise and preclude such a luxury. Then you have to ask youself if LaMarr Woodley, who will count $13 million agaqinst the cap next season, is worth that kind of cap hit, especially if he is going to be oft-injured and even unproductive. Certainly that has been the case the past three years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

Pro Bowler
    Just out of curiousity could/would the Steelers ask Woodley to take a paycut based on these last 2 years?
    Not talking about a restructure, but a straight forward take a paycut or we cut you after Jun 1st scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Just out of curiousity could/would the Steelers ask Woodley to take a paycut based on these last 2 years?
    Not talking about a restructure, but a straight forward take a paycut or we cut you after Jun 1st scenario...
    Does the collective bargaining agreement allow that kind of thing prior to the last year of a contract? It's not a bad idea, though, I kind of like it.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll