Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: Finest moment for Mike Tomlin as Steelers coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You can't be this daft? The article was comparing them. So I just show how stupid the comparison was. Every time someone talks about Tomlin they try to throw Cowher in there to justify their position. I DID NOT introduce it. The ARTICLE did. You can't be that stupid? Can you?
    You have been comparing them LONG BEFORE THIS THREAD. You give Cowher credit for Tomlins success, this is nothing new to this thread.
    If YOU are making a pro Cowher case, Cowher is fair game.
    You CANNOT mention Cowher REPEATEDLY as superior liken Tomlin to Switzer and then cry foul when someone used YOUR OWN ARGUMENT against you.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

You can't be this daft? The article was comparing them. So I just show how stupid the comparison was. Every time someone talks about Tomlin they try to throw Cowher in there to justify their position. I DID NOT introduce it. The ARTICLE did. You can't be that stupid? Can you?

Better yet Vader, lets play ball by your rules:
    YOU make your anti-Tomlin case without including ANY reference to the prior coach.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    To label Cowher as "unable to win the big one" would have been premature. Time proved that.

How would "I" do it?

If you are going to compare a current coach to a retired coach who coached TWICE as long you look at their record during the same span:

It is SHOCKINGLY even IMHO. 1st 6 seasons:

Overall record.

Regular season: Cowher 64-32, Tomlin 63-33

Playoffs: Tomlin 5-3, Cowher 5-6

Division titles: Cowher 5, Tomlin 3

Playoff appearances: Cowher 6, Tomlin 4

Advance to divisional round of playoffs (final : Cowher 5, Tomlin 2

Record in AFC championship game: Tomlin 2 wins 0 losses, Cowher 1 win 2 losses

Super Bowl: Tomlin 1 win 1 loss, Cowher 0 wins 1 loss.

Inherited quality core players.

Cowher: Rod Woodson, Gregg Lloyd, Dermonti Dawson, Carnell Lake, Barry Foster, Eric Green

Tomlin: Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes
    More bull****. In the SB of 95 only 3 defensive players were left from Noll's era. That's Cowher's 4th season. In Tomlin's 5th season he still had 8 of 11 defensive players from Cowher's era. Cowher didn't miss the playoffs until 3 seasons later. Cowher rebuilt almost the entire defense BEFORE he made his first SB. Almost nobody is left from Noll's teams after the SB of 95. And they still make the playoffs the next 2 years. Then for the next 3 years the drafts suck. There is a huge issue with Cowher and Donahoe. Donahoe drafts Edwards over Cowher's objections and Cowher offers his resignation. Rooney allows Cowher more power and fires Donahoe.

Also what year did Dawson make his first pro-bowl? I'll help you out. It was 1992. How about Lake? He didn't make a pro-bowl until 1994. Woodson didn't even play the entire year they went to the SB. As Cowher's players retire the team gets worse. Tomlin inherited 5 pro-bowlers and 2 possible HOFers on offense and 5 pro-bowlers and at least 1 HOFer on defense. Not only the quality but the quantity was in Tomlin's favor.

Backup

User Info Menu

Better yet Vader, lets play ball by your rules:
    YOU make your anti-Tomlin case without including ANY reference to the prior coach.
    All too easy. last 3 years. 12-4 and lost to the Tim Tebows (one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs), 8-8, and now 5-7.

Legend

User Info Menu

All too easy. last 3 years. 12-4 and lost to the Tim Tebows (one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs), 8-8, and now 5-7.
    Had he been hired 2 years ago, you'd have a point.
    But he wasnt, so you are not talking about Tomlin.

You cannot make a remotely reasonable case to fire 4 time playoff, 2 time superbowl, one time champ, Tomlin without bringing up his predecessor.

TCFCLTC-

Backup

User Info Menu

Had he been hired 2 years ago, you'd have a point.
    But he wasnt, so you are not talking about Tomlin.

You cannot make a remotely reasonable case to fire 4 time playoff, 2 time superbowl, one time champ, Tomlin without bringing up his predecessor.
    Where did I ever say to fire him. Just give me ONE quote. You can't so again you don't know what you are talking about. As usual with you. You throw out **** but can't back it up. Show me ONE quote and I'll apologize.

Legend

User Info Menu

Where did I ever say to fire him. Just give me ONE quote. You can't so again you don't know what you are talking about. As usual with you. You throw out **** but can't back it up. Show me ONE quote and I'll apologize.
    So all these knocks on Tomlin are because you want to keep him? Interesting...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    So all these knocks on Tomlin are because you want to keep him? Interesting...
    I never said to fire him. Show me the quote. I don't think he is that great of a coach. As I pointed out. But I never said he should be fired. But keep up with the snide remarks.. interesting indeed.

Legend

User Info Menu

I never said to fire him. Show me the quote. I don't think he is that great of a coach. As I pointed out. But I never said he should be fired. But keep up with the snide remarks.. interesting indeed.
    Its a logical conclussion given your constant criticism...

man up.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Try keeping up. I posted a picture of Switzer because he is very similar to Tomlin. Both inherited teams that had won a SB and then they won a SB with the previous coaches players. Kind of like John Gruden in Tampa Bay. Cowher didn't do that. So there is NO comparison. But thanks for trying.
    Just like Cowher won with Noll's players...then had a few non-playoff seasons...