Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 115

Thread: Ron Cook: Finest moment for Mike Tomlin as Steelers coach

  1. #71
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Again. People can't talk about Tomlin without bringing Cowher into this. The fact that Cowher must be introduced into the conversation means that you can't defend Tomlin on his own merit.

    Where did I ever say I wanted to follow the cowboys template? That's just you building another strawman. I NEVER said that. But that's what Tomlin supporters do. They try to get away from the facts and bring up something that has NOTHING to do with what is being discussed.

    Also you said this:



    You left out what "total defense" is really referring too. It's total yards. Big deal. The fact is they gave up almost the same number of points (21.5 to 20.4). Also you couldn't run on them. But with Tomlin's specialty being DBs coach they went from 22nd in the league to LAST 32nd in the league in passing defense. WOW what a great job.

    Also I've listened to Tomlin press conferences for 7 years now. Not impressed at all. He "obviously" struggles finding big words to use to try to impress people. Which is way below the line. They interviewed 2 people from outside the organization. I'm SHOCKED he was the best... Yea, they did a bang up job brining people in. They interviewed him and Riveria. So all he had to do was beat out Grimm (who the Rooney's had known for years and wasn't likely to blow them away) and Riveria. WOW what competition.
    You posted a photo of Switzer..lol.

    ...and it makes perfect sense to compare Tomlin to Cowher.

    You are flopping around like a fish out of water.

  2. #72
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,739
    i have minnesota being 19th overall in points allowed in 2005 (18th in pass, 22nd in run yards allowed)
    14th in 2006 (31st in pass, 1st in run yards allowed)
    12th in 2007 (31st in pass, 1st in run yards allowed)
    13th in 2008 (18th in pass, 1st in run yards allowed)

    it appears to me that the pass defense became the worst in the entire league and the run defense became the best the year he was there. two years later the vikings still had the best run defense but the pass defense improved greatly after tomlin left.

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You posted a photo of Switzer..lol.

    ...and it makes perfect sense to compare Tomlin to Cowher.

    You are flopping around like a fish out of water.
    Try keeping up. I posted a picture of Switzer because he is very similar to Tomlin. Both inherited teams that had won a SB and then they won a SB with the previous coaches players. Kind of like John Gruden in Tampa Bay. Cowher didn't do that. So there is NO comparison. But thanks for trying.

  4. #74
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Try keeping up. I posted a picture of Switzer because he is very similar to Tomlin. Both inherited teams that had won a SB and then they won a SB with the previous coaches players. Kind of like John Gruden in Tampa Bay. Cowher didn't do that. So there is NO comparison. But thanks for trying.
    You are trying to be judge and jury on who Tomlin can be compared to but he isn't done coaching so it makes zero sense to point out Switzer.

  5. #75
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You are trying to be judge and jury on who Tomlin can be compared to but he isn't done coaching so it makes zero sense to point out Switzer.

    so nobody can ever be compared to anybody until their careers are over?

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Again. People can't talk about Tomlin without bringing Cowher into this. The fact that Cowher must be introduced into the conversation means that you can't defend Tomlin on his own merit.
    Your FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD mentioned Cowher FIVE TIMES. You are in effect openning the Cowher vs Tomlin debate. YOU introduced Switzer situation as analogous to Tomlin. THEREFORE it is perfectly reasonable to make the solid point that Switzer who YOU liken to Tomlin BEAT Cowhers team.

    You cannot now run and hide from the very figures YOU pulled into the conversation.

  7. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so nobody can ever be compared to anybody until their careers are over?
    Had we judged BC at this poijnt in his career he would be labelled unable to win the big one. Ditto for John Elway the QB.
    Would that be fair?

  8. #78
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Had we judged BC at this poijnt in his career he would be labelled unable to win the big one. Ditto for John Elway the QB.
    Would that be fair?
    he was labeled and i think its real fair and accurate to judge/compare somebody based on their past accomplishments. how else would you want to do it?

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    he was labeled and i think its real fair and accurate to judge/compare somebody based on their past accomplishments. how else would you want to do it?
    To label Cowher as "unable to win the big one" would have been premature. Time proved that.

    How would "I" do it?

    If you are going to compare a current coach to a retired coach who coached TWICE as long you look at their record during the same span:

    It is SHOCKINGLY even IMHO. 1st 6 seasons:

    Overall record.


    Regular season: Cowher 64-32, Tomlin 63-33


    Playoffs: Tomlin 5-3, Cowher 5-6


    Division titles: Cowher 5, Tomlin 3


    Playoff appearances: Cowher 6, Tomlin 4


    Advance to divisional round of playoffs (final : Cowher 5, Tomlin 2


    Record in AFC championship game: Tomlin 2 wins 0 losses, Cowher 1 win 2 losses


    Super Bowl: Tomlin 1 win 1 loss, Cowher 0 wins 1 loss.


    Inherited quality core players.


    Cowher: Rod Woodson, Gregg Lloyd, Dermonti Dawson, Carnell Lake, Barry Foster, Eric Green


    Tomlin: Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-07-2013 at 06:49 PM.

  10. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Your FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD mentioned Cowher FIVE TIMES. You are in effect openning the Cowher vs Tomlin debate. YOU introduced Switzer situation as analogous to Tomlin. THEREFORE it is perfectly reasonable to make the solid point that Switzer who YOU liken to Tomlin BEAT Cowhers team.

    You cannot now run and hide from the very figures YOU pulled into the conversation.
    You can't be this daft? The article was comparing them. So I just show how stupid the comparison was. Every time someone talks about Tomlin they try to throw Cowher in there to justify their position. I DID NOT introduce it. The ARTICLE did. You can't be that stupid? Can you?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •