Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: Finest moment for Mike Tomlin as Steelers coach

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    no facts, no inside info. just a guy with an opinion.
    any tomlin hater could write a crappy article like this and spin a bad light on tomlin just as easy and have as much credibility.

1)he wasnt in the interview so he doesnt know if tomlin said a single word
    2) those actually were cowhers players. cant really debate that.
    3) his team has been in the press more, unprepared, held unaccountable more than cowhers teams.........

there, i did it.
    You could write an article with this premise, but it wouldn't make any sense...

1) That's just silly. Seriously, the idea that someone would be hired without saying a single word is so far beyond rational thought, that it is laughable...especially if you consider how Tomlin handles the press...
    2) Cowher's 8-8 players...
    3) You can argue this all the live long day...in the press more (like Bam Morris for weed, Carlton Haselrig for substance abuse and going missing, Joey Porter for assaulting a player from another team in Vegas, etc.)...unprepared (the aforementioned 8-8 season, among other seasons)...unaccountable (no fines for being late?)...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ron Cook: Finest moment for Mike Tomlin as Steelers coach

December 3, 2013
    By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette...

There are a lot of both out there because Tomlin is one of the more polarizing figures in Pittsburgh sports history.

Put me in the first group.

It's funny, Cowher was never questioned as a disciplinarian. It must have been because of that big jaw. It couldn't have been because he's white, right?

Tomlin will survive this sideline fiasco. His critics had better come to grips with it. He will be coaching the Steelers and winning a lot of games for a long, long time.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013/12/04/Finest-moment-for-coach.print#ixzz2mZEX0zys[/URL]

Just who is making this about Race?

It's not. It's about Conduct On and Off the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I did believe Tomlin did it on purpose, and I do not want him gone. With that said, I agree that Tomlin handled all of this really well. I have always been impressed with the way he represents the Steelers. While I still think that he has much to prove despite having a ring, his ability to handle the press in tough situations continues to be stellar. He is convincing. He now is making me wonder if all this was indeed an accident...even though my mind tells me...wow was that a convenient time to wander onto the field.
    *gives back tin foil hat* you gave me the other day... lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    no facts, no inside info. just a guy with an opinion.
    any tomlin hater could write a crappy article like this and spin a bad light on tomlin just as easy and have as much credibility.

1)he wasnt in the interview so he doesnt know if tomlin said a single word
    you were in the room? LOL...

didn't utter a single word... you sound foolish.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DjDalton View Post
    Just who is making this about Race?

It's not. It's about Conduct On and Off the field.
    I'm not sure what it's about, but if it were actually about conduct, it should have ceased to be an issue among certain fans after Tomlin's press conference...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DjDalton View Post
    The Videos speak for themselves.

The League reviewed them for days and came out with a measured response.

Its up to the Steeler owners to decide what they want to do.

The future and fortunes of the Pittsburgh Steelers rests upon their decision.
    The league doesn't know what to do anymore. They're in a panic over anything seen as a potential threat to their cash cow. They dole out fines and flags more and more inconsistently with each passing season. Their fear of protecting their cash is clouding their judgment to the point that the game is losing some appeal. This thing with Tomlin was blown out of proportion. My guess is that the Steelers owners won't overreact like the league has.

Backup

User Info Menu

Anytime someone starts an article off defending someone by using racism as a crutch then the article is bull****. Fact is that he did win with Cowher's players. When a person talks about 2006 and doesn't mention Ben's motorcycle accident, appendectomy and concussion then they are just making excuses for Tomlin. I've outlined all of Cowher's players on Tomlin's team before so I'm not going to do it again but the fact is that he inherited a team one year removed from the SB and to this day several of his good players are still from Cowher's time. ALL his starting safeties are from Cowher, his best DL Keisel, QB is Ben, Miller, Foote, and Ike. All these players over 7 years into his tenure are from Cowher.

The rest of the article is just a fluff piece. He admits that he could be a fool and is ok with that. Well then I'm ok with it as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I did believe Tomlin did it on purpose, and I do not want him gone. With that said, I agree that Tomlin handled all of this really well. I have always been impressed with the way he represents the Steelers. While I still think that he has much to prove despite having a ring, his ability to handle the press in tough situations continues to be stellar. He is convincing. He now is making me wonder if all this was indeed an accident...even though my mind tells me...wow was that a convenient time to wander onto the field.
    Shawn, I generally agree with you. I did and do think this was intentional. I think Tomlin's smirking after the play confirmed that, at least for me. He handled the press conference well enough, but his smirking after the play cost him a lot of money (as it should) and may cost a team that is in dire need of an infusion of talent a draft pick. So I wouldn't say that he handled things perfectly. Additionally, doesn't he know by know that Ryan Clark will say anything to anybody who has a microphone within his line of vision? Why Tomlin didn't instruct the team to stay silent after the penalty came down is beyond me. This isn't a hanging offense, but it is an enormous blunder that may cost the team significantly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You could write an article with this premise, but it wouldn't make any sense...

1) That's just silly. Seriously, the idea that someone would be hired without saying a single word is so far beyond rational thought, that it is laughable...especially if you consider how Tomlin handles the press...
    2) Cowher's 8-8 players...
    3) You can argue this all the live long day...in the press more (like Bam Morris for weed, Carlton Haselrig for substance abuse and going missing, Joey Porter for assaulting a player from another team in Vegas, etc.)...unprepared (the aforementioned 8-8 season, among other seasons)...unaccountable (no fines for being late?)...

obviously you dont get it.
    the article states that he got the interview because of the rule but 'blew them away' with his responses. all im saying is how does cook know he blew them away? was cook there? Nope, just speculation on cooks part because he likes him. if cook hated him he could say, 'the rule got him the interview. he totally screwed up the process but they hired him anyway'. nobody knows how the interview went except the people actually there.
    yup, cowhers players. the same ones that where drafted, developed and acquired by cowher that won a superbowl then had letdown for multiple reasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rivera is a minority... Tomlin blew the FO away and the reason we know it is because THEY SAID HE BLEW THEM AWAY.

"Rooney suggested Tomlin’s interview was so impressive that it left no alternative but to hire him. Along with his excellent football IQ, Rooney felt Tomlin was simply a good man. “Mike Tomlin is first and foremost a good person,” Rooney remarked. “That is the first test you have to pass.”

I know... it's a lie. The Rooneys are lying and didn't even ask him any questions.. I bet they opened the door to interview him and kept walking with him right out the back and said "you are hired"

Pretty sure Tomlin lip syncs in his press conferences...