Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin fined $100,000; Status of draft picks pending

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Tomlin fined $100,000; Status of draft picks pending

Mike Tomlin fined $100,000 by NFL; Steelers' status of draft picks pending
    NFL.com
    Published: Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:04 a.m.

The NFL fined Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 and will consider modification or forfeiture of draft choices after the final order of the 2014 draft has been determined, per a statement issued by the league.

The penalties are a result of Tomlin's actions on the sideline during a kickoff return in the Steelers' 22-20 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in Week 13. In the third quarter, Ravens kick returner Jacoby Jones appeared to break free down the sideline only to be slowed by Tomlin -- who had his back to Jones and was standing on the white stripe hugging the field.

Ultimately, Jones was corralled from behind by Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen. Though the officials did not flag Tomlin for unsportsmanlike conduct, the league decided to pursue discipline against the coach and his team after the game.

NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said on Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Tomlin should have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"Anytime a player or a coach from the sideline is in this white area, that's a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct," Blandino said on Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access." "If they interfere with the play, it could be what's called a 'palpably unfair act.'

"In that instance, the referee could basically penalize the team whatever he deems equitable, which could include giving the Ravens a touchdown. That's not the case here, but certainly coach Tomlin was in the white. He should have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct."

Tomlin has maintained that his conduct on the play was not intentional.

"If anybody thinks I or anybody else would do this on purpose they are crazy," FOX's Jay Glazer quoted Tomlin as saying Monday on "Fox Football Daily."

The coach further elaborated on his stance in a Tuesday news conference, calling the incident "embarrassing, inexcusable, illegal (and) a blunder," while acknowledging that he would "take his medicine" for the aftermath of the play.

"I take full responsibility for my actions on the play," Tomlin said. "I acknowledge that my actions unfortunately became part of the play. ... I also embrace that as head coaches, we’re held to the highest standards of conduct, and I realize that that blunder fell woefully short of that expectation, and in that vein, I ... understand the repercussions from a blunder of that nature.

"I think probably my biggest error on Thursday night is not realizing that that play jeopardized the integrity of the game from a perception standpoint. At no time Thursday night in the game or after, did I realize that my actions would be perceived potentially, or could be perceived potentially as intentional."

Tomlin was recently added to the NFL's competition committee, and Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Morning" that the league took that into consideration in making its final decision.

Jones acknowledged that Tomlin's presence affected the return man's trajectory on the 73-yard scamper.

"I eased up," Jones told NFL Network's "NFL AM" on Nov. 29. "At the time when I was looking at him, I was like, 'I ain't going to run through him.' Everybody was like, 'You should've ran over him,' and I'm like, 'Man, good God, I'm not that type of person.'"
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-picks-pending

Pro Bowler
    as much as i dislike tomlin, this punishment is kinda bull****. im good with the fine and i'd be good with a loss of a draft pick, but to hold a loss of draft pick or change in draft order over our heads is a crock of ****.
    just give the punishment now and move on

Pro Bowler
    Hopefully this is true

Mark Roly Poly Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib
    I believe the draft picks still being dangled is to show the rest of the league that league consider incident serious. No picks will be lost

Hall of Famer
    I just hope the draft pick deal & wording isn't what I think it is. They maybe holding off because the Steelers traded their 3rd & that was going to be the punishment. "Consider modification or forfeiture" may mean...Taking the 4th if it is high...Taking the 2nd if it is at the end of the round...Or Taking away the comp pick in the 3rd which they don't have yet! Oh...Tomlin bashers are gonna luv this outcome!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    as much as i dislike tomlin, this punishment is kinda bull****. im good with the fine and i'd be good with a loss of a draft pick, but to hold a loss of draft pick or change in draft order over our heads is a crock of ****.
    just give the punishment now and move on
    Yes. Once the investigation is complete, punishment in full should be handed down. To hold it back is ridiculous. If they wanted to take something they should have simply taken a late rounder (even that seems silly). If they push us back in the draft order and affect our early round picks, I will be pissed. I can't stand our league management. Every decision seems completely arbitrary to me.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I just hope the draft pick deal & wording isn't what I think it is. They maybe holding off because the Steelers traded their 3rd & that was going to be the punishment. "Consider modification or forfeiture" may mean...Taking the 4th if it is high...Taking the 2nd if it is at the end of the round...Or Taking away the comp pick in the 3rd which they don't have yet! Oh...Tomlin bashers are gonna luv this outcome!
    and rightfully so

The fine is understandable as a deterrent to ALL teams, as this behavior is apparently widespread. Who hasn't often thought "why are they allowed to crowd the field like that?"

Hitting the Steelers with a draft pick, for what is arguably a stupid, yet unintentional act, makes no logical sense. Delaying it is just all around goofy, and shows the league doesn't know what its doing.

I have no problem with the fine. The threat of taking away a draft pick is absurd. If anything, suspend Tomlin. A game, for the rest of the regular season - either way, in a pretty much lost season, I'd much prefer that to a loss of a pick.

Benchwarmer
    Assuming Tomlin makes about 6 Millin dollars a year, 100thousand is like 1,7% of his yearly income. He doesn't even notice that

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    The fine is understandable as a deterrent to ALL teams, as this behavior is apparently widespread. Who hasn't often thought "why are they allowed to crowd the field like that?"

Hitting the Steelers with a draft pick, for what is arguably a stupid, yet unintentional act, makes no logical sense. Delaying it is just all around goofy, and shows the league doesn't know what its doing.

theres the problem. many believe it was intentional and that may be the reason draft picks are being considered.