Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace: Steelers fans will “definitely” boo me on Sunday

Mike Wallace: Steelers fans will “definitely” boo me on Sunday

Mike Wallace: Steelers fans will “definitely” boo me on Sunday

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 3, 2013

Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace will return to Pittsburgh, where he played the first four years of his NFL career, on Sunday. He’s not expecting a warm reception.

Asked if the crowd will boo when he takes the field on Sunday, Wallace said, “Definitely. Yeah.”

“I already know how my welcome is going to be, it’s not going to be too pretty,” Wallace said.

Wallace took issue, however, with talk that he was upset with Pittsburgh because the Steelers didn’t give him a new contract. Wallace said he’s happy where he is and not thinking about the past.

“No, that’s a lie,” Wallace said of reports that he wanted a contract extension in Pittsburgh. “Mike never said that, but it is what it is, I’m on a new team. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to like that too much, but we all have to move on, I’ve moved on.”

But apparently Wallace doesn’t think Steelers fans have moved on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nday/#comments

Pro Bowler
    I'd be cheering that a one dimensional receiver that doesn't fight for the ball isn't wrecking the Steelers salary cap by being severely overpaid.

Burnell Wallace rode Ben's coat tails for 4 seasons, end of story.

I'd be booing him if he was still on the Steelers.

Hall of Famer
    I suppose Wallace is looking at it from the standpoint of making plays during the game. Most Steeler fans will be looking at him as a non-factor (although if Ike has to cover him one-on-one he just might make a play or two).

Steelers notebook: Dolphins receiver Wallace takes heat in Miami

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Monday, Dec. 2, 2013

• Former Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace is taking heat in Miami for underperforming after signing a $60 million contract, the richest this year for an NFL free agent. Wallace (56 catches, 13.3 average per catch) made only his third TD catch Sunday. But Troy Polamalu is aware of the dangers Wallace brings with his world-class speed. “He's what we saw while he was here,” Polamalu said. Antonio Brown said he's been texting Wallace to keep his spirits up.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2mXM1JqUM

James Harrison will be at Heinz next week. I wonder if the reception will be any different for him than it will be from Wallace.

I liked what Tomlin said in his presser, "We love Mike Wallace, but not on Sunday."

Starter
    DEEBO will get love.. SUPER BOWL heroics and wut not.. i still got DEEBO love for what he did for us..

Wallace on the other hand, superbowl GOAT along with that FUMBLE MACHINE
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

On the Steelers: Receivers will put out welcome mat for Wallace

December 4, 2013
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Young Money crew of wide receivers who helped the Steelers to their most recent Super Bowl appearance will hold two reunions this weekend in Pittsburgh.

The first will occur when Antonio Brown picks up Mike Wallace Saturday at the Miami Dolphins' hotel and whisks him to Brown's place for dinner, where they will be joined by Emmanuel Sanders.

"It will be a great time to catch up at my house on the off time before we gather at the hotel," Brown said. "I'm looking forward to seeing my friend and catching up with family and seeing what's been going on."

Wallace should not expect a home-cooked meal from his former teammate, both of whom played in the Pro Bowl after the 2011 season.

"I don't cook," Brown said.

Wallace then will go his separate way and stand on the opposite sideline Sunday at Heinz Field, returning to his former place of work.

The Steelers would like to see him stay on the sideline. He has not had a Pro Bowl season for someone who signed a $60 million contract, but his production has picked up considerably the past two games. Against Carolina, he caught five passes for 127 yards and a touchdown, and against the New York Jets, he caught seven for 82 yards and a touchdown. Those are two of his three touchdowns this season and the 127 yards were the third most in his career.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark knows what is ahead of him Sunday.

"You can't worry about playing the run, you can't worry about playing the flat or playing crosses -- my job is to be the deep defender and when you have Mike Wallace, that's really deep.

"I think we'll do a good job on him. There are going to be some plays where guys will be matched up one-on-one. You have to understand the beast and the animal you're playing and what you're willing to give him."

Still, it has been somewhat of a disappointing first year in Miami for Wallace, who played his first four seasons with the Steelers as one of the most dangerous deep receivers in the NFL.

Where once he averaged 20 yards per catch, he is down to 13.3. He's second on his own team with 56 receptions for 743 yards. Brian Hartline leads Miami with 62 receptions for 804 yards.

In the meantime, the Steelers passing game has flourished without him. Brown leads the NFL with 85 catches and has 1,103 yards and six touchdowns. Sanders has 54 receptions and four touchdowns. Jerricho Cotchery has eight touchdowns.

How to explain losing such a receiver, adding virtually no one and still excelling as a passing unit?

"Mike was a deep-ball guy, of course," Sanders said. "But when Mike leaves, guys have to step up -- guys like myself. This is the National Football League; anybody is replaceable. They're going to find their guys."

Wallace likely will find an old friend covering him Sunday. Cornerback Ike Taylor often did so in past training camps, and this time it will be for real in a matchup of New Orleans natives.

"One thing he has that you can't coach is speed," Taylor said. "If you're just watching tape, he's been opening it up a lot, not just for himself but for lot of other guys. Hartline has been balling. You can say what you want, he's been kind of the man before Mike came over there.

"With the addition of Mike, it's even scarier."

Wallace attributed his uneven season to working into a new offense, a new team and getting comfortable with it. And while he said he's excited to return to Heinz Field, he does not think the fans will give him a good reception.

"I already know how my welcome is going to be. It's not going to be too pretty," Wallace said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2moPznF4T

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    James Harrison will be at Heinz next week. I wonder if the reception will be any different for him than it will be from Wallace.

I liked what Tomlin said in his presser, "We love Mike Wallace, but not on Sunday."
    The differences between the Harrison situation and the Wallace situation are mongo-ass massive to anyone who loves the Steelers.