View Poll Results: If you were GM, which of these moves would you make?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Release Troy

10 37.04%
  • Release Ike

12 44.44%
  • Release Woodley after June 1, re-sign Worillds

10 37.04%
  • Re-sign Velasco 3 year/$7.5M, release Pouncey

4 14.81%
  • Trade Ben for two mid firsts after June 1

2 7.41%
  • Move up in the first to grab a top LT

11 40.74%
  • Move up in the first to grab a top WR

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You are the GM...which of these is likely to happen?

Administrator

User Info Menu

I would demand pay cuts from both Ike and Troy.

If they do that... they play 1 more year and then their both gone. If not.... sadly, they should both be cut next year and just move on.

I think they both take a pay cut and play 1 more year.

I have an easier time paying Troy the money simply because he's a playmaker and Ike isn't. What I would like to see is Troy playing more of a conventional SS role which would help out our pathetic pass defense.

This year, Ike reminds me of a zombie on the Walking Dead.... chasing after WRs with his arms out.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Paycuts for Ike amd Troy. I wouldn't mind if we released him though because I think its time to move on because he can't catch and now he is getting burned.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Paycuts for Ike amd Troy. I wouldn't mind if we released him though because I think its time to move on because he can't catch and now he is getting burned.
    Paycuts make no sense.

I assume the Rooneys are in the game to try to win it all -- every year.

So if you think, a player is a key piece of the puzzle, why would you risk losing him by paying him less?

On the other hand if you think a player isn't really contributing, why keep him just because he costs less? Keeping him only gets in the way. You're better off looking ofr other options.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Re-sign Velasco, release Pouncey

Implications - I have seen a few different numbers, but Pouncey is due some sort of roster bonus next year. His pro-rated bonus is $1.4M and cap hit over $5.4M. The savings will be around $4M+ if he is released, but if you factor the signing of Velasco as dependent on that, then the tradeoff is around $1.5-2M.

Why it is unlikely - Pouncey is a draft choice, pro bowler, all-pro. The Oline has been so bad for so long, and there have been so many misses, will they let one walk who has had success?

Add in that Velasco is coming back from an injury that is harder to recover from than what Pouncey is coming back from. Not suggesting we keep Pouncey because I think his salary demands will be ridiculous but he will likely be more ready for 2014 than Velasco health wise.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I am pretty sure both Ike and Troy will accept pay cuts. They wonn't make the same mistake like Harrison.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Really hard to do without knowing outcome of season. So lets insert that into scenario.

The Steelers make playoffs as 6th seed.

Troy - He would have to take 3-4 mil pay cut or be released. Being that Harrison's refusal cost him over 3 mil..I actually think Troy will take the cut.
    Ike - Same a Troy. I think he will take a cut too.

Worilds - Absolutely retain him. Year 1 could be structured where he will only count 2 mil or less.
    Woodley - Wow. Woodley stays for '14. Jones needs Off-seasoning. Having Woodley, Worilds, & Jones for '14 is the best route. You draft an OLB in '14 draft. If Jones takes the leap in '14, you release/trade trade Woodley in '15.
    Velasco - Retain him as back-up. With his injury this is more likely.
    Pouncey - Wow again. How about approach Pouncey in the offseason & see if you could get him cheaper now. If he is looking for Mangold money...See what he looks like in '14 before you cross that bridge.
    Roethlisberger - Won't even acknowledge the trade. You approach him about an extension. If he is a man of his word you get the deal done & free up a little space. Trading your franchise QB would be like cutting off your d!ck because if was too big & you are tired of trying to get it to stay in your boxers.
    Moving up - No to moving up for any position. The Steelers made a significant investment on the OL & I don't think the Steelers are ready to give up on it & gamble again. Drafting a LT in the 20's or end of 1st in this scenario wouldn't be answering any questions heading into camp. They should go out & sign a LT like Anthony Collins from the Bengals or Charles Brown from the Saints "IF" they let him hit the Streets. Maybe the Steelers view Levi Brown as "insurance" in '14...I just don't think you could coming off injury.

In the draft, assuming Evans & Watkins are gone. I'm looking at TE & WR early. Maybe best in this scenario would be trade down in 1st & take Seferian-Jenkins in 1st & Kelvin Benjamin (If he comes out) in the 2nd.

The Steelers don't make playoffs.

Troy - He would have to take 3-4 mil pay cut or be released.
    Ike - Cut Ike. Sign Alterraun Verner in FA.
    Worilds - Retain him. Same as above.
    Woodley - Woodley stays for '14. Same as above.
    Velasco - Retain him as back-up.
    Pouncey - Same as above
    Roethlisberger - Same as above.
    Moving up - No to moving up for any position.

If the Steelers are sitting in a position to draft Matthews, Kouandjio, Erving, or Lewan...You would have to consider it. I also think if Watkins & Evans are there they would have to be in the conversation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Paycuts make no sense.

I assume the Rooneys are in the game to try to win it all -- every year.

So if you think, a player is a key piece of the puzzle, why would you risk losing him by paying him less?

On the other hand if you think a player isn't really contributing, why keep him just because he costs less? Keeping him only gets in the way. You're better off looking ofr other options.
    I would prefer to move on from Ike but I think the FO loves him so he isn't going anywhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Roethlisberger - Won't even acknowledge the trade. You approach him about an extension. If he is a man of his word you get the deal done & free up a little space. Trading your franchise QB would be like cutting off your #### because if was too big & you are tired of trying to get it to stay in your boxers.
    yo.... this is a hilarious, painful and accurate analogy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Add in that Velasco is coming back from an injury that is harder to recover from than what Pouncey is coming back from. Not suggesting we keep Pouncey because I think his salary demands will be ridiculous but he will likely be more ready for 2014 than Velasco health wise.
    and Velasco JUST went down... but fans have it out for Pouncey so I think they aren't even considering Velasco's injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and Velasco JUST went down... but fans have it out for Pouncey so I think they aren't even considering Velasco's injury.
    Velasco's injury does make him easier to re-sign. If he played the entire year the way he was playing and did not get injured, he would have commanded starter's dollars in free agency that we would not have been able to afford. Now, coming off a major injury, he'll likely be more amenable to signing a modest short term deal. That way, Velasco would have a year to prove that he's back from injury and Pouncey would have the last year of his rookie deal to prove that he's back from injury. See how they both play coming off injury, and make the ultimate decision after next year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.