Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going forward at Center

Backup

User Info Menu

Going forward at Center

We really have to consider the possibility that we have a long term problem at the Center position. It's very difficult to judge OL performance because so much of a players success is based on those playing to their left and right. However, after watching Pouncey and then Velasco replacing him I believe the following:

Out of the gate it looked like Pouncey was going to be a long term solution however, Pouncey has not improved significantly from his rookie year. A string of injuries has definitely contributed to this. It's really a shame but these injuries are going to prevent him from reaching his original potential. I think we can only expect him to be an average center going forward. Velasco is an average center otherwise he would not have been cut by the Titans. Velasco's age is not going to help his recovery from this latest injury and could possibly end his career. If Pouncey struggles next year it is probable that the Steelers will not be willing to give him what other teams will. Then we have to fill another position via the draft.

We really need a way to accrue more draft picks as soon as possible because we are starting to have more holes than possible draft pick solutions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

God you're ridiculous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Trade Ben...???? LOL

Pouncey was an all pro, great center his rookie year... how much better does a player get when they start out damn near on top?

What improvements does Pouncey need to make given how DD was lost due to Gilbert and then came back and dove on Pounceys knee?

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey is the least of this teams worries. He will be fine.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Trade Ben...???? LOL

Pouncey was an all pro, great center his rookie year... how much better does a player get when they start out damn near on top?

What improvements does Pouncey need to make given how DD was lost due to Gilbert and then came back and dove on Pounceys knee?
    Pouncey needs to be able to just slam his foot down and say "You Shall Not Pass!" and make it so.
    until then, he's over rated.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only thing that scares me about Pouncey is the amount of injuries he has had and the impact that will have on his body moving forward. His knowledge and ability are not to be questioned, but his durability may be an issue, his only one.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    God you're ridiculous.
    Lol....we will revisit this next year. Pouncy's wheels are all jacked up between ankles and now the knee. He's going to demand all-pro $$$ which we don't have and won't pay.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm cringing at see our off. line make up for the next game vs. Mia. Lets hope Beachum is OK.

I was fine with Velasco at center and I didn't see a significant drop off from Pouncey's play. I would have brought the question up to Pouncey during negotiations about the move to guard since Velasco is a one position player. Why take out one for the other, when you could possibly have both? I don't have anything against Foster either, maybe try him at RT. But this scenario seems unlikely now with Velasco's Achilles injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm more worried about center this week. I've read reports that Beachum is going to move to Center with Adams at LT. I would prefer Beachum remaining at LT with Wallace taking over at center. Continuity has proven beneficial for this line, and I don't think that moving 2 guys will help anything.

Beyond this week, Pouncey is on the last year of his rookie deal next year. If nothing else, the Steelers will get a very good (even if he is overrated) center for a reasonable price. Beyond that, I agree with many that don't want to give Pouncey huge money to stay. If he can be signed to a reasonable extension, great. If not, franchise him and trade him after 2014.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree. Moving Beach to C is a bad idea. With the extra practice days they have, I'd like to see if the new FA could handle the duties.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion