Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: we could lose a draft pick due to Tomlin debacle...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Bill Cowher had 3 straight years of missing the playoffs. Tomlin deserves to be the coach of the Steelers regardless of our record this year and if we lose a draft pick (I dont believe that is likely. Miami's ST coach actually tripped a guy and only received $100,000 fine).
    I hate comparison like this. Cowher took his teams to the playoffs 6 straight years to start his career. He was losing FAs like crazy because the team couldn't afford to pay them and he was in a power struggle with Donahoe. In 2000 the Steelers received 3 apologies from the NFL for blown calls. If they don't make the playoffs this year that will be 3 times Tomlin has missed the playoffs in his 7 years. Cowher missed ONCE in his first 7. Not only that Cowher had Neil O'Donnell, Tomczak, and Kordell. Tomlin has had Ben his entire career. Hardly a comparison.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I hate comparison like this. Cowher took his teams to the playoffs 6 straight years to start his career. He was losing FAs like crazy because the team couldn't afford to pay them and he was in a power struggle with Donahoe. In 2000 the Steelers received 3 apologies from the NFL for blown calls. If they don't make the playoffs this year that will be 3 times Tomlin has missed the playoffs in his 7 years. Cowher missed ONCE in his first 7. Not only that Cowher had Neil O'Donnell, Tomczak, and Kordell. Tomlin has had Ben his entire career. Hardly a comparison.
    Whatever... Cowher had down seasons as well.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That would be criminal IMO.
    That's insane. You cannot definitively prove that he did it on purpose. It was fuzzy enough that the ref didn't throw a flag. And it didn't affect the outcome of the game anyway. The refs affected the game a whole lot more, and do so every game.

Heck, the *s didnt lose anything serious after spygate.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lost in some of this... Cortez Allen showed some good speed catching up to J Jones. A great effort by him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yes, just like the Steelers are considering trading Ben Roethlisberger. Gotta get the Steelers in the news somehow this season, cause their play certainly won't do it.
    Terrible comparison. That was one guy, Ian Rappaport. The possible loss of a draft pick has been reported by CBS Sports, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc.

Backup

User Info Menu

That would basically be 2 draft picks lost in the 2014 draft if that happens. The one they should have had for Sanders but kept him instead counts as well...

Legend

User Info Menu

Related to Tomblin...as bad as it has been, I think we need one more year to determine for sure if the guy needs to go. The team has definitely been in decline the last 3 years. I don't see how the FO keeps him around if we get the same results next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/video/glazer-should-mike-tomlin-expect-a-hefty-fine-from-the-league-120113[/url]
    Last edited by fordfixer; 12-01-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

relax guys, i dont see it happening.
    if it does, it would be a late rounder.
    the way tomlin drafts, does it really matter?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Whatever... Cowher had down seasons as well.
    I know. Facts hurt. The same facts that clearly indicate that as Cowher's players got older, Tomlin's record got poor.

In any case... back to the topic. Tomlin knew what he was doing. Did he know this was going to be this big of a deal? Doubtfully. It's a tough situation but what Tomlin (& Cowher back in the day) did were wrong. With that being said, they shouldn't be penalized a draft pick ... that's ridiculous.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.