Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 123

Thread: we could lose a draft pick due to Tomlin debacle...

  1. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If I'm standing still and I want to step left (like Tomlin did).... I don't need to take a step to the right first. No offense but that is a horrible excuse
    I'm not making excuses...I just watched the footage...

  2. #112
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I'm not making excuses...I just watched the footage...
    I get it. I know that he did take a step to the right before stepping to the left... the footage clearly shows that. All I'm saying is that he didn't need to step right (onto the field) before steping left.

  3. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I get it. I know that he did take a step to the right before stepping to the left... the footage clearly shows that. All I'm saying is that he didn't need to step right (onto the field) before steping left.

    Try this experiment:

    Stand in a place. Feet normally spaced. Then try to jump left. Not a hop left -- jump left. Note where your right foot goes. Unless you're really thinking about it, your right foot *will* go right to provide you the leverage to jump left.

    They also have that in boxing. When normal people want to punch someone, their arm first goes *backward* to generate the momentum to land the punch. The good ones dont have to do that; they can punch in a purely forward motion. The average QB (other than Leftwich) can throw a ball without drawing their hand back much. But people who are not trained for it will reflexively pull their hands back first to throw forwards.

    So it goes.

    Anyway, your mind is made up, good for you, but your rationale above is bogus.

  4. #114
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,363
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Try this experiment:

    Stand in a place. Feet normally spaced. Then try to jump left. Not a hop left -- jump left. Note where your right foot goes. Unless you're really thinking about it, your right foot *will* go right to provide you the leverage to jump left.

    They also have that in boxing. When normal people want to punch someone, their arm first goes *backward* to generate the momentum to land the punch. The good ones dont have to do that; they can punch in a purely forward motion. The average QB (other than Leftwich) can throw a ball without drawing their hand back much. But people who are not trained for it will reflexively pull their hands back first to throw forwards.

    So it goes.

    Anyway, your mind is made up, good for you, but your rationale above is bogus.
    I'm imagining a non athletic guy standing in front of his computer jumping back to avoid his cat.

    This is another one of those "if I did what an NFL player did at my job I would be fired"

  5. #115
    Let's play out this jumbotron theory for a second....

    Being that Tomlin is a genius, I'm shocked that he didn't notice (on the jumbotron) that the returner was running down the Steelers sidelines and it might be a good idea to get out of the way and back off just slightly..
    He WAS NOT running down the sideline when Tomlin stepped on the line. Tomlin did not know where he was with a foot on the field until the tron showed where he was which leads to:

    Maybe when Tomlin started seeing HIMSELF on the jumbotron (which would clearly show he's standing on the field) as Jones started getting closer and closer that it might be a good idea to back off just a tad. Maybe? Just maybe?
    This IS what he did. In case you did not notice Jones had more than a little speed in his trot. It would literally be a fraction of a second between seeing himself and Jones arrival at that speed.
    Tomlin sees himself on the tron and jumps. Jones is RIGHT ON HIM at that point.

    I just can't buy the fact that he was oblivious about his position on the field and where Jones was at (or approaching) in relationship to his position.
    "IF" he truly was engrossed in the Tron it is EASY to understand. Belicheat even said he knows how that could happen.

    See my point? Even if he was watching the jumbotron, he would see exactly where the play was going which was EXACTLY where he was standing!
    I see your point but it is not valid.
    IF Tomlin was truly looking at the Tron he could VERY EASILY have lost track of where he was standing.
    Your contention that he would see himself in the Tron in time does not take into account the speed of the players.

    It is not impossible that this was deliberate, just not as you describe it. If he first saw Jones on the Jumbotron it would play out EXACTLY as it did.

    It could be deliberate if he could have looked down at the line while facing the tron and deliberately move towards it BEFORE the play went sideline (my picture above) IN THE HOPE that the play would be forced directly at him so that the runner would be disrupted by his having a couple inches of foot in the field of play. All the while KNOWING cameras are everywhere in the slim chance it all works.

    I just find it unlikely. So I take Tomlin at his word not just because I believe him but it is a far more reasonable conclusion to make.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.

  6. #116
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Try this experiment:

    Stand in a place. Feet normally spaced. Then try to jump left. Not a hop left -- jump left. Note where your right foot goes. Unless you're really thinking about it, your right foot *will* go right to provide you the leverage to jump left.

    They also have that in boxing. When normal people want to punch someone, their arm first goes *backward* to generate the momentum to land the punch. The good ones dont have to do that; they can punch in a purely forward motion. The average QB (other than Leftwich) can throw a ball without drawing their hand back much. But people who are not trained for it will reflexively pull their hands back first to throw forwards.
    ............

    $$

  7. #117
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,316
    that 'won' with cowher's players argument is so stupid.
    are the steelers supposed to let go /trade their important players when if a new coaching staff comes in??


    here some guys who were huge in our SB 43 season where bill had very little to do with them

    Ben - never wanted to draft him. played 3 seasons under BC
    Deebo - only started when tomlin became coach
    woodly - drafted by tomlin
    holmes - had only 1 year under cowher. not enough time to ruin him like he did with plax and edwards... lol

  8. #118
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,132
    Steelers will face draft-pick compensation from Tomlin incident

    Jason La Canfora

    The Pittsburgh Steelers will in fact end up losing a late-round draft pick for coach Mike Tomlin's actions on the sidelines Thanksgiving night, according to league sources. The NFL is not finalizing that decision until the spring, after all compensatory picks are sent.

    When Tomlin's discipline was announced by the league on Wednesday, including a $100,000 fine, the NFL included language in the ruling stipulating that a forfeiture, or altering, of the team's picks was still possible but that nothing would be finalized on that until the spring. Many have taken that to mean the league would not impose any draft-pick penalties, or was including the language as something of an idle threat.

    However, such assumptions are untrue, and there will be draft-pick compensation I'm told. Tomlin's actions, when he stood on the sidelines too close to the action and appeared to make a motion on to the field as Raven Jacoby Jones was returning a kick for what may have been a touchdown -- Baltimore ended up settling for a field goal in a close game that came down to the very end of regulation and nearly went to overtime -- are not being taken lightly within the league office.

    The NFL did not stipulate the exact nature of the draft-pick penalty because in its mind this remains an open case. Tomlin's actions could have precluded the Ravens from scoring four more points than they did, and points scored can be a possible playoff tiebreaker. So the NFL does not know the full scope of the ramifications of Tomlin's actions, nor does it know the full-range of Pittsburgh's draft picks as compensatory picks, for instance, are not even awarded until the NFL's annual spring meeting. So until the league has all of the information available, no decision will be announced.

    But even if the Ravens make the playoffs, and that tiebreaker is not a factor, Pittsburgh will still face draft-pick compensation. It's not an either/or situation. The Steelers have not been informed of any parameters or further details beyond what was included in the NFL's press release when Tomlin's fine was announced, and the front office at this point is operating under the assumption that some further penalty is coming.

    As I reported last Sunday, the team was fearful they would lose a pick and the forfeiture of a draft pick -- or otherwise alteration of a drafting position -- was always a central part of the NFL's consideration of discipline in this matter with the incident very much having the potential to impact competitive balance, something it takes very seriously.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...omlin-incident

  9. #119
    taking away a draft pick is absurd.

    1 game suspension would have made the point.

    what a bunch of bull****

  10. #120
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

    I just find it unlikely. So I take Tomlin at his word not just because I believe him but it is a far more reasonable conclusion to make.
    I'd buy it too if Tomlin wasn't looking back at Jacoby over he shoulder. He saw him coming and his timing was perfect for putting his foot onto the field. He absolutely had time to move if he wanted to the second he looked back over his shoulder.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •