Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Velasco to IR

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That doesn't tell me anything at all... lol. Velasco had no sacks until he played with us which isn't surprisingbecause Ben takes sacks where modt QB's will chuck it out of bounds or check down.

The only thing that pops out to me is games started... Velasco has only started 30 games even though he played in 60.
    Considering he was an undrafted FA, tells me he made vast improvement in his game. Titans thought enough of Velasco to give him a 2nd round tender. I'll give that Pouncey had no where to go but down considering where he started his career. It may all be moot if neither recovers completely from their injuries in the next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

thanks for posting Northcoast. Looks like we may have you converted dizz... lol

looking at the 30/60...I guess it took velasco a year or two to develop... as is often the case. I guess it could be said that the man has made the most of his abilities.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Considering he was an undrafted FA, tells me he made vast improvement in his game. Titans thought enough of Velasco to give him a 2nd round tender. I'll give that Pouncey had no where to go but down considering where he started his career. It may all be moot if neither recovers completely from their injuries in the next year.
    I agree on the injuries but I don't really care about the tender or where Velasco started his career. I don't have a problem with Velasco as a player but I don't see him replacing Pouncey if both are healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    thanks for posting Northcoast. Looks like we may have you converted dizz... lol.
    This doesn't make any sense at all...

Legend

User Info Menu

That doesn't tell me anything at all... lol. Velasco had no sacks until he played with us which isn't surprisingbecause Ben takes sacks where modt QB's will chuck it out of bounds or check down.

The only thing that pops out to me is games started... Velasco has only started 30 games even though he played in 60.
    My issue with Pouncey is that we have had ZERO confidence in our interior run game during MOST of his time as a Steeler.
    Dizz, by what measure is Pouncey as great as people think?
    Sure he can move, I saw it when he was a rookie. He flashes that ability every once in awhile.
    But what does he do consistently, game in and game out that is BETTER than his peers?
    Pass block? No.
    Run block? Definite NO.

You are right about Velasco. He HAS only started half his games played. He is not a great center. Neither is Legurski.

My point is that the fact that THOSE GUYS can replace him with such ease, and NO noticeable dropoff only adds to the case that Pouncey aint all he is cracked up to be.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    My issue with Pouncey is that we have had ZERO confidence in our interior run game during MOST of his time as a Steeler.
    Dizz, by what measure is Pouncey as great as people think?
    Sure he can move, I saw it when he was a rookie. He flashes that ability every once in awhile.
    But what does he do consistently, game in and game out that is BETTER than his peers?
    Pass block? No.
    Run block? Definite NO.

You are right about Velasco. He HAS only started half his games played. He is not a great center. Neither is Legurski.

My point is that the fact that THOSE GUYS can replace him with such ease, and NO noticeable dropoff only adds to the case that Pouncey aint all he is cracked up to be.
    Pretty sure the measure is his peers... what else is there to go on when we had an OC who was vertical in the pass game, treated the run game like a step child and everyone knew where we were running every time due to predictability.

Our RB's last year were Redman and Dwyer... ohhh watch out for those 2 hitting the hole with speed.

DD was hurt in preseason last year and in previous years the OL injuries and musical chairs was far worse than this year. Oh... and how great is your interior running going to be with Kemo ignoring the guy in front of him. The guy could pull but couldn't do anything else.

2009 we ranked 19th in ypc
    2010 .... 11th
    2011 ... 14th
    2012... 26th.... new OC, Redman and Dwyer.. yeah... why did we fall off? Pouncey? I dont think so. We also lost DD that year.

2013.. 31st. There is a drop off IMO and DD is healthy and Bell is far better than Redman and Dwyer. Bell is a rookie so I will give him the benefit that he will improve inside.

I have a hard time believing we don't have NO noticable drop off without Pouncey... I think its fun to say but if there was no drop off we would hear Legursky's name among the top centers and Velasco damn sure wouldnt be a cap casualty hit.

Velasco comes in for 7 or 8 games and its a wrap? nah... too small of a sample size IMO.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 12-02-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

.......and in previous years the OL injuries and musical chairs was far worse than this year.......
    this is not true. In fact, this year is the worst by far for OL injuries and missed PT:
    [URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/12/1/5162458/nfl-injured-reserve-ir-list-count-amount-totals-by-team-2013[/URL]

btw, I respect your opinion on Pouncey and if you are correct, we should hopefully see good things from him again next season (unless he is expecting a Brinks to deliver his next contract, in which case I would think it would cause the Steelers to rethink his value).
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 12-02-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This sounds a lot like the Chris Hoke/Casey Hampton argument

The Hoke argument had more legs IMO, because it actually had its own body of work. (First of all, saying Legursky "replaced" Pouncey with no drop-off is ridiculous. He filled in for him in one or two games!)

In the end, the team backed up the Brinks truck for Hampton and got a very good career out of him; and Hoke (despite his amazing record replacing Hampton) never got a team... any team... to offer him a comparable (to Hampton's) deal. Why is that?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Velasco showed he is a very good football player...But Velasco is no Pouncey. Fernando Velasco was a blessing for the Steelers & signing him helped absorb the absence of Pouncey. Don't simply credit the better OL play to Velasco as the season went on. He was an absolute part of it...But the OL grew as a unit. The same would have happened with Pouncey in there. This was a new unit that needed to log snaps together to get better with Pouncey. Velasco helped solidify the unit...A different player may have shown the importance of Pouncey. Don't disregard that! It is easy to dismiss a missing piece but don't think the missing piece wouldn't have the same impact. Many can argue if Pouncey is worth the money he will command but no arguing the talent level isn't the same. Pouncey will be 25 & Velasco will be 29...Velasco would make a great addition next year as Pouncey's back-up. Velasco has position flexibility so it makes sense. It is an unfortunate injury to Velasco but the injury may limit his opportunities & returning to the Steelers is more likely now.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Velasco showed he is a very good football player...But Velasco is no Pouncey. Fernando Velasco was a blessing for the Steelers & signing him helped absorb the absence of Pouncey. Don't simply credit the better OL play to Velasco as the season went on. He was an absolute part of it...But the OL grew as a unit. The same would have happened with Pouncey in there. This was a new unit that needed to log snaps together to get better with Pouncey. Velasco helped solidify the unit...A different player may have shown the importance of Pouncey. Don't disregard that! It is easy to dismiss a missing piece but don't think the missing piece wouldn't have the same impact. Many can argue if Pouncey is worth the money he will command but no arguing the talent level isn't the same. Pouncey will be 25 & Velasco will be 29...Velasco would make a great addition next year as Pouncey's back-up. Velasco has position flexibility so it makes sense. It is an unfortunate injury to Velasco but the injury may limit his opportunities & returning to the Steelers is more likely now.
    IMO, Pouncey has ALL the tools except just a bit more size/strength. He always has struggled against the bigger/strong NTs.

But it's been that way since his rookie year and I haven't seen any improvement.

What I don'nt understand is we've seen little to no drop off with Velasco and Legursky when Pouncey went down with injuries. 2 times is a trend. How can you justify big bucks to Pouncey when you've seen 2 backups replace him adequately? I don't know. I think it's a difficult scenario....It greatly depends on the Pouceny's contract demands.

Scott Wells is the highest paid center in 2013. Would you give Pouceny the same contract that Scott Wells received?

4 years / 25.5 million
    4 million signing bonus
    Average Salary: 6.375
    Guaranteed: 13 million

Would you give Pouncey a 5 year / 30 million deal?

What if you got Velasco for less than half that amount of $ which would give you a good chunk of change to go out and pick up a solid FA to fill a critical need such as FS?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.