Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Velasco to IR

Legend

User Info Menu

nevermind... went back and read it again and caught the sarcasm. Will have to agree to disagree I guess. I hold the position that he's not a top center in this league..and not noticeably better than Velasco. Just my opinion though.. If you guys think he's great, well that's all well and good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Lots of reasons why guys are available. In Velasco's case, he was a casualty of a salary cap issue with Tennessee.

Sorry that you can't see the possibility that Pouncey is overhyped, injury prone, and an underachiever in recent years.
    Pouncey started out on top... how much better will a guy get when he is rated top 5 his first year with a pro bowl?

Overhyped.. lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

nevermind... went back and read it again and caught the sarcasm. Will have to agree to disagree I guess. I hold the position that he's not a top center in this league..and not noticeably better than Velasco. Just my opinion though.. If you guys think he's great, well that's all well and good.

I think he is still a top 10 center... I wouldn't break the bank to keep him but I also wouldn't rush to crown Velasco due to a nice mini run while going no huddle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

kidis.. just read your post in another thread about how you thought Pouncey was overrated. Before I jump to conclusions, I wanted to give you a chance to clarify your last statement. Is an "Overrated" Pouncey better than Velasco?
    Absolutely.
    Do I think he's the best in the NFL? NO, but he's top 5. He hasn't been our problem.

Legend

User Info Menu

dizz
    He did come out of the gate as a top center. Not disputing that. He hasn't maintained that level of performance though. You admitted as much yourself in the above post. Shouldn't be too much to ask for a guy to at least maintain his "Rookie" level of performance when he's in year 4-5.
    Last edited by Ernie; 12-01-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Absolutely.
    Do I think he's the best in the NFL? NO, but he's top 5. He hasn't been our problem.
    I don't think he's top 5 right now (when healthy)...but would agree that he hasn't been our problem. Neither has Velasco since taking his place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think he is still a top 10 center... I wouldn't break the bank to keep him but I also wouldn't rush to crown Velasco due to a nice mini run while going no huddle.
    and I think Velasco is a bit more proven than the "Mini run" with the no huddle. He was pretty solid in Tennessee.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lots of reasons why guys are available. In Velasco's case, he was a casualty of a salary cap issue with Tennessee.

Sorry that you can't see the possibility that Pouncey is overhyped, injury prone, and an underachiever in recent years.
    If you are arguing that Velasco is a better football player than Pouncey, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Because if you asked the 32 pro personnel directors in the league, I'm going to guess that 32 of them would choose Pouncey.

Now obviously, player values can't be done in a vacuum. It probably can be argued, that Velasco and his salary, is at least in the discussion with a Pouncey and his 1st round money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    If you are arguing that Velasco is a better football player than Pouncey, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Because if you asked the 32 pro personnel directors in the league, I'm going to guess that 32 of them would choose Pouncey.

Now obviously, player values can't be done in a vacuum. It probably can be argued, that Velasco and his salary, is at least in the discussion with a Pouncey and his 1st round money.

Not saying Velasco has had a better career than Pouncey.. when you look at the accolades... etc...

If you look at Velasco's performance this year versus Pouncey's... well... I'd say I have a case. Pouncey was abused this preseason
    Last edited by Ernie; 12-01-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not saying Velasco has had a better career than Pouncey.. when you look at the accolades... etc...

If you look at Velasco's performance this year versus Pouncey's... well... I'd say I have a case. Pouncey was abused this preseason
    Are you serious? Velasco has played 10+ games. Pouncey has played one quarter. OF COURSE HIS PERFORMANCE IS BETTER!

If you are seriously citing preseason games as your evidence...