Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here comes PFT working everyone into a frenzy About Tomlin...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've seen every single coach stand in that exact same spot.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Tomlin knew exactly what he was doing. I'm sure the Rooney's will want some explanation as will the NFL office. Tomlin will receive a substantial fine.
    I agree with this. Tomlin knew exactly what he was doing. Jones slowed up a step and Cortez caught him. At least Tomlin didnt throw his drink on him ala Jason Kidd.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    I agree with this. Tomlin knew exactly what he was doing. Jones slowed up a step and Cortez caught him. At least Tomlin didnt throw his drink on him ala Jason Kidd.
    I don't htink the ROoney's will ask any questions. Hell Cowher almost punched a dude when he returned a fumble.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I don't htink the ROoney's will ask any questions. Hell Cowher almost punched a dude when he returned a fumble.
    Rooney wont but Goodell will.

Starter

User Info Menu

Don't know if it was on purpose or not, but he should be fined in my opinion. No room for gray areas with this sort of thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL should fine Tomlin for crossing the line

November, 29, 2013

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers often say "anything goes" when it comes to the most intense rivalry in the NFL. But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin crossed the line, literally this time, and the NFL needs to fine him for it.

Tomlin clearly impeded Jacoby Jones' path on a kickoff return in the third quarter of the Ravens' 22-20 win Thursday night. Jones had an open path to the end zone until the Steelers 40-yard line where Tomlin was in the field of play. Tomlin had his back turned to Jones, but he was standing in the six-foot white sideline border.

Replays showed his right foot was inbounds, which caused Jones to slow up and get caught from behind. Tomlin did hop to his left in an effort to avoid Jones, but he had already impacted the play. Jones slowed and veered to his right, where he was tackled by Cortez Allen.

Tomlin should've been penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct, and league officials can't act like it didn't happen like the officials on the field did Thursday night. He violated the NFL rule that prohibits coaches and players from being in the six-foot white border along the sideline.

It's true that coaches are frequently in this area, but Tomlin pushed it too far.

"I do it quite often, like everybody else in the National Football League," Tomlin said. "I was wrong, I accept responsibility for it.”

Tomlin was wrong to be in that spot Thursday night, and the league would be wrong if it gives him just a slap on the wrist.

Whether Tomlin knowingly did this is another debate. Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco isn't the only player who believes Tomlin intentionally got in the way of Jones.

“He did it on purpose," Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith said.

Do the Ravens think Tomlin should be fined by the NFL for this?

“I don’t know, they fine people for doing anything now," Smith said. "He was watching it on the screen, and it was pretty funny to see him smiling about it afterwards."

Many of the Ravens, including coach John Harbaugh, made jokes about this after the game. But they wouldn't be smiling if the Steelers had come back to beat Baltimore.

The Ravens' playoff hopes likely would've ended with a loss, and Tomlin would've been at least partly to blame. This is why the NFL has to send a message that something like this can't happen again.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/3972/poll-did-tomlin-intentionally-interfere[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Wouldn't be surprised by his 'lack of awareness' given how poor Tomlin's in-game and clock management has been throughout the years. Just another sign of getting caught up in the moment and losing focus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Tomlin clearly impeded Jacoby Jones' path on a kickoff return in the third quarter of the Ravens' 22-20 win Thursday night.
    Umm...no he didn't...

Legend

User Info Menu

From Peter King today. I think it's a fair assessment:

The Mike Tomlin discipline for his bizarre or calculated (doesn't matter which) pas de deux on the field in Baltimore Thursday will be discussed inside 345 Park Avenue today, with a decision likely by Wednesday. I expect a heavy fine, but no suspension or loss of draft picks. What has to happen is real enforcement in the six-foot white-striped “No Fly Zone,” which coaches and players shouldn't be in during game action. It’s a penalty. Call it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    From Peter King today. I think it's a fair assessment:

The Mike Tomlin discipline for his bizarre or calculated (doesn't matter which) pas de deux on the field in Baltimore Thursday will be discussed inside 345 Park Avenue today, with a decision likely by Wednesday. I expect a heavy fine, but no suspension or loss of draft picks. What has to happen is real enforcement in the six-foot white-striped “No Fly Zone,” which coaches and players shouldn't be in during game action. It’s a penalty. Call it.
    Yeah, I think he pretty much nailed it.

Not sure if he will end up being correct, but I agree with King's take on the situation.