Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Least clutch WR ever? Emmanuel Sanders.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    On the mark! Take what the defense is giving you instead of trying to force something.
    Exactly. Isn't that what everybody's criticized Ben for in the past? Why can't that criticism apply to the game plan?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    From the camera view yea it looked like he had a clear field of view. Brown was faceguarding him and had almost perfect coverage on the play. I'm not willing to trade the guy over this one. Lots of other reasons why we lost the game..
    His other three drops count among those reasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sanders: "I have to make that play"

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Receiver Emmanuel Sanders shoulders the blame.

The look of dejection on Emmanuel Sanders’ face said it all as he walked off the field after not being able to hold on to what would have been a game-tying two-point conversion with just over a minute to play in the Steelers 22-20 Thanksgiving night loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

“Today is just a tough day for me overall,” said Sanders after the game. “At the end of the day, I didn’t make the play necessary for my team to win and I take complete fault for it. It’s my fault that we lost today. It’s something that I’ve got to deal with.

“But at the end of the day, I’m not going to let it hold me down. Redemption Sunday is coming up.”

The Steelers fought their way back from a 19-7 fourth quarter deficit to pull within a score at 22-14 with 5:31 to play in the game. Two apparent touchdowns were reversed on the final drive, one a long pass to Heath Miller, the other a one-yard run by Le’Veon Bell, before Jerricho Cotchery caught a one-yard touchdown pass to close the gap to 22-20.

Roethlisberger went to Sanders in the corner of the end zone on the two-point conversion, but he was shielded on the play by cornerback Chykie Brown.

“I didn’t see the ball until the very end,” said Sanders. “I tried to have late hands, but that’s no excuse. I consider myself a big-time player. I have to come up with those plays. And I didn’t come up with it. I have to deal with it. I take this loss. It’s my fault. We just have to bounce back.”

While Sanders was blaming himself, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t blaming his receiver, acknowledging that it wasn’t an easy pass to catch.

“I’m frustrated with myself because I have to give him a better ball,” said Roethlisberger. “It wasn’t an easy catch, and I could have made it a lot easier on him. I take that on myself.”

After hearing what Roethlisberger said, Sanders still took the heat.

“Ben gave me a good ball,” said Sanders. “I have to make that play. It hit my hands. I have to make the play. It’s not on him, it’s on me.

“He put the ball out there for me to make a play. I don’t care where it was – I have to make that play. There are no excuses. I should have made it.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Sanders-I-have-to-make-that-play/12718c0f-4119-4843-9a9d-f6514922a2d6[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've been a Manny supporter since he got here, even through all the TC injuries. But the drops in big time situations are unacceptable. Hate to say it, but hello New England in the off season. Go join Edelman and crew and see where that puts you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sanders has the tools to be a very good receiver. He plays hard, run good routes and has pretty good speed. I think he is still growing as a player and needs to get a little stronger in the upper body before reaching his full potential. People want to criticize the drops in this game but forget he made a nice move in the endzone to free himself for the Steelers first touchdown. But in this situation, I wish Ben had not targeted Sanders. Brown, Cotchery and Miller are more sure-handed and I wish he would have tried one of them instead. But Ben made a quick decision, I think a little too quick. It was really a great throw. The great ones make the catch but it was not an easy catch. As for Wheaton, he looks like he could potentially be a good receiver. He does look fast. But as is often the case, fans exude much confidence in him now but when he plays and drops a few, they will turn on him also.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Sanders has the tools to be a very good receiver. He plays hard, run good routes and has pretty good speed. I think he is still growing as a player and needs to get a little stronger in the upper body before reaching his full potential. People want to criticize the drops in this game but forget he made a nice move in the endzone to free himself for the Steelers first touchdown. But in this situation, I wish Ben had not targeted Sanders. Brown, Cotchery and Miller are more sure-handed and I wish he would have tried one of them instead. But Ben made a quick decision, I think a little too quick. It was really a great throw. The great ones make the catch but it was not an easy catch. As for Wheaton, he looks like he could potentially be a good receiver. He does look fast. But as is often the case, fans exude much confidence in him now but when he plays and drops a few, they will turn on him also.
    I think if it weren't the first time for Sanders the fans would be more forgiving, however, this isn't the first time this year or last that he's had drops in situations the Steelers needed him to make a play. Heath has made a couple crucial drops this year, but he has a track record of making difficult clutch catches as well and so hegets a pass for the few drops.

It's al about perception and right now until Sanders makes some tough catches or at least clutch catches the perception of him is as a WR that can get open, but isn't consistent enough making the plays a team needs to be successful.

The coaching staff doesn't make knee jerk reactions to a bad game the way we fans do, so I'm sure that Sanders will be a Steeler and get to continue to work on his game. The fans are frustrated with him right now (me included), we all would have loved to have had a chance to bury the Ravens for the season in OT.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 11-30-2013 at 07:33 AM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Go join Edelman and crew and see where that puts you.
    In the playoffs? (C'mon, you gotta make it at least a little bit difficult for me.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Sanders has the tools to be a very good receiver. He plays hard, run good routes and has pretty good speed. I think he is still growing as a player and needs to get a little stronger in the upper body before reaching his full potential.
    I think Sanders has all the tools to be great. But his hands get in his darn way too often. I'd also add he's a good blocker and has sprung a few TDs and big gains over the years for others.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think Sanders has all the tools to be great. But his hands get in his darn way too often. I'd also add he's a good blocker and has sprung a few TDs and big gains over the years for others.
    Sorry Flip, but this is a contradictory statement. You can't say a WR has "all" the tools and then talk about his lack of hands. Doesn't matter if you have speed, run great routes, and then don't inspire confidence that you will hold on to the ball.

Plain and simple - it was a catchable ball by an ordinary NFL wide receiver and he dropped it. Dropped it in a must win, game on the line situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not to hijack the thread, but did anyone catch the Miami game today? Tannehill was attempting to pass and his arm was hit and the ball basically sky-ed for what seemed like 4 secs in Wallace's direction. Wallace stands there, not moving, waiting for it to come down into his hands and a DB streaks in, leaps up and grab the INT. Classic Wallace.