Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worilds playing great

Jason Worilds Making Case to Stay in Pittsburgh

BY DOMINIC DI TOLLA - NOV 29TH, 2013

I will admit it, I thought that Jason Worilds’ days with the Steelers were numbered after he lost his starting job to rookie Jarvis Jones at right outside linebacker. While Worilds had been the team’s primary backup at the left outside linebacker spot during his first three years in the league, the fact that he was unable to hold off a rookie for James Harrison’s old spot was worrisome.

To Worilds’ credit though, he didn’t cave after he surrendered his starting job in his contract season. He not only usurped the former Georgia Bulldog for the starting job on the right side, he has now established himself as the most effective outside linebacker and pass rusher on Pittsburgh’s roster.

Over the last five weeks, Worilds has racked up 5.0 of his team-leading 6.0 sacks, made 28 tackles, and provided a tremendous amount of pocket collapse on the edges. I should also mention that the former Virginia Tech Hokie has actually done most of his damage setting the edge against the run and attacking opposing signal-callers on the left side as opposed to the right.

In fact, Worilds has stepped in for LaMarr “Mr. Stay Puft” Woodley at the left outside linebacker position during the last three weeks and done a tremendous job in place of the underachieving veteran. Just last night, Worilds racked up 10 tackles, 2.0 sacks, and forced a fumble against the Baltimore Ravens from Woodley’s old spot.

Now fully healed from a wrist injury and a subsequent which he underwent in 2012, Pittsburgh’s 2010 second round pick has finally been able to illustrate what he can do when he has been given the opportunity to start. Unfortunately for the Steelers, Worilds’ rookie contract will be expiring at the end of this season. This in turn will force Pittsburgh’s front office to make an extremely difficult decision:

Will the cap-strapped franchise allow the up-and-coming Worilds to walk?

Or will they release the injury-prone, salary cap-albatross known as “Woodley” to free up extra money to ink Worilds and other impending free agents?

At least to me, the choice is quite clear. Jarvis Jones has the tools to be a solid player at the right outside linebacker spot down the road for this franchise, and he will only continue to improve with game experience. In addition, Worilds has illustrated how comfortable yet explosive he can be as a strongside pass-rusher from the left side. Furthermore, his price tag, age, and recent bill of health make him the left outside linebacker for this cap-strapped team to build around, not “Mr. Stay Puft.”

As of now, I’m officially on the “Keep Worilds” bandwagon. So if that means dumping expensive veterans who are past their primes like Woodley and Ike Taylor to keep him, then I am completely on board with that as well.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/11/29...ay-pittsburgh/

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    JJ will get strong enough. Worilds is for real, I'd be ok starting JJ and JW next year and jettisoning Woodley and his monster contract.
    Yeah, it's called a full offseason NFL workout program. He will be just fine.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Hall of Famer
    Worilds is playing really well. Too bad the better he plays, the more likely it will be for another team next year. Welcome to cap hell.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    As of now, I’m officially on the “Keep Worilds” bandwagon. So if that means dumping expensive veterans who are past their primes like Woodley and Ike Taylor to keep him, then I am completely on board with that as well.
    Well that (cutting expensive salaries) goes without saying. Ike, Troy, Clark will all take cuts or be gone like James. I am curious though, about Woodley. Like everyone else, I want this guy to take a cut commensurate with his declining game. But I have not heard anyone to date, who says he is going to be subject to this, along with the others.

As for Worilds, it would be a shame to see him go after cultivating him for four years. But if he does leave, its not the end of the world. Worilds is a poorman's Jason Gildon ("good" production, but without Gildon's consistency and durability).

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Well that (cutting expensive salaries) goes without saying. Ike, Troy, Clark will all take cuts or be gone like James. I am curious though, about Woodley. Like everyone else, I want this guy to take a cut commensurate with his declining game. But I have not heard anyone to date, who says he is going to be subject to this, along with the others.

As for Worilds, it would be a shame to see him go after cultivating him for four years. But if he does leave, its not the end of the world. Worilds is a poorman's Jason Gildon ("good" production, but without Gildon's consistency and durability).
    It's not the end of the world, but the president has his finger poised over the button for the OLB position. I think Woirlds could take over for Woodleys spot with no problem. I don't think Woodley wants to be anything special, in the run game or the pass rush. He hasn't shown it on the field...lately.

After the showing that Worilds has made recently, I very much doubt, they'll let him go. Pass rushers are too much of a premium and he has looked like a dominant pass rusher. I know it has taken a while, although he has had injury problems, but I envisioned Worilds playing at this level. They can cut Ike, Clark or Keisel before Worilds, next year. They have to get younger. Woodley will strain a muscle every year. Jones needs to hit the weight room bigtime, but he has potential. Can't let Worilds go, even if he will have his issues too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    After the showing that Worilds has made recently, I very much doubt, they'll let him go. Pass rushers are too much of a premium and he has looked like a dominant pass rusher. I know it has taken a while, although he has had injury problems, but I envisioned Worilds playing at this level. They can cut Ike, Clark or Keisel before Worilds, next year. They have to get younger. Woodley will strain a muscle every year. Jones needs to hit the weight room bigtime, but he has potential. Can't let Worilds go, even if he will have his issues too.
    This is a passing league now. Pass Rushers > Cover CBs (Ike's days are numbered)
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    This is a passing league now. Pass Rushers > Cover CBs (Ike's days are numbered)
    I agree. during the game, did anyone else hear Chis Collinsworth point out the fact that teams are now attacking Ike Taylor?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    After the showing that Worilds has made recently, I very much doubt, they'll let him go. Pass rushers are too much of a premium and he has looked like a dominant pass rusher.
    This 3 game stretch has probably priced him out of a level we can afford. I wouldn't be surprised if Worilds gets the biggest FA contract of anyone this offseason.

He's putting up James Harrison like production. And he's still just a young guy with likely more upside.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, it's called a full offseason NFL workout program. He will be just fine.
    Im still not sold on JJ. I think he's less effective at OLB than Timmons was. I think I'd end the project and see if he can play inside and Woodley can play on the right before the season ends.