Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: We come out with 3 bs runs

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Steelers gave away two drives in a game decided by 2 points. You only get so many drives per game, it seemed useless to me. The Ravens wasted no time, they know the team that scores first in this series has a decided advantage and wanted to be the team to score first.

    Ben has a complete understanding of this offense, Haley should put the game plan together with Ben, give him down and distance plays and then get out of the way at game time.

    Ben was sharp in the second half tonight and if Manny Sanders catches any one of the three he dropped the outcome may have been different.

    Pappy
    +1..........

  2. #12
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,515

    Seriously, WT_ are these bozo's complaining about?

    Quote Originally Posted by MicroBioSteel View Post
    Everyone needs to consider the probability/possibility that those runs were used to set up downstream plays.

    The first 2 runs were definitely done with a purpose. The Steelers went with the JUMBO package on 1st and 2nd down while huddling before both plays. As soon as the 2nd down play was over the Steelers immediately went to the line after making a quick substitution for a passing play. Unfortunately something happened and there was an on field time out/ delay that basically negated what the Steelers were trying to do, which was prevent the Ravens from getting their nickle/dime subs on the field (They would have been stuck with fat beef on the field). I think if they could have caught the Ravens, Ben would have found the mismatch and chucked it downfield.

    Haley is not the problem. He's patient, probes for weakness and then exploits. This is the reason we start slowly. It's a methodical approach. Plus, he's not the responsible for Ike being burned!
    "We don't run it enough", "we are too predictable", etc.

    Fans complaining about playcalling is about the most pointless thing a fan can complain about. Unless you (fan) watch game tape non-stop in preparation... how the eff can you know what is/was behind any decision-making? You don't know the tendencies, the formations, the Ravens and their season leading up to that game. You know who does? The coaches and players, who spent all week studying... that's who.

    If Bell rips off a few decent gains on that first sequence of plays, what then? Would you morons be belly-aching about running the ball on the first three plays? Because that's basically what you are doing--being results-oriented and not taking into account a myriad of other factors.

  3. #13
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    And the Ravens come out firing, give me a break.

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    "We don't run it enough", "we are too predictable", etc.

    Fans complaining about playcalling is about the most pointless thing a fan can complain about. Unless you (fan) watch game tape non-stop in preparation... how the eff can you know what is/was behind any decision-making? You don't know the tendencies, the formations, the Ravens and their season leading up to that game. You know who does? The coaches and players, who spent all week studying... that's who.

    If Bell rips off a few decent gains on that first sequence of plays, what then? Would you morons be belly-aching about running the ball on the first three plays? Because that's basically what you are doing--being results-oriented and not taking into account a myriad of other factors.
    It's called mentality, example
    Against Detroit they knew that the only way to win was by putting up a lot of points, and guess what they did. The mentality for us yesterday was to keep it close and win it at the end, unfortunately Baltimore was not playing that game so they came out aggressive, attacked and made the Steelers play on their heels the rest of the night. Which resulted in us not being able to stop them.

  5. #15
    We don't have time to start the game off with some sort of "probing" and "methodical" strategy with a defense that plays like this. Part of being an offensive coordinator is not just playing with the toys on your side of the ball, but crafting a plan that best allows you to win. For instance, of the more frustrating tendencies of Arians was the 3 and outs in the third and fourth quarters of games in which the Steelers had the lead and needed to burn the clock while their defense rested.

    I don't understand the suicidal hand-off up the gut on goal lines. We're at the 1/2 yard line. Why not a QB sneak on first down? We have an advantage knowing the snap count and only need to break the line of scrimmage with a QB of Ben's size? How hard is it to snap and shove yourself forward behind the center for 1.5 feet. All you need to do is break the plane. Instead we lost our starting RB a play later along with Velasco.

  6. #16
    The run on third down at the end of the first drive looked to me like an audible by Ben. The Ravens had nobody in the middle of the field and he thought he could hit it.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Steelers gave away two drives in a game decided by 2 points. You only get so many drives per game, it seemed useless to me. The Ravens wasted no time, they know the team that scores first in this series has a decided advantage and wanted to be the team to score first.

    Ben has a complete understanding of this offense, Haley should put the game plan together with Ben, give him down and distance plays and then get out of the way at game time.

    Ben was sharp in the second half tonight and if Manny Sanders catches any one of the three he dropped the outcome may have been different.

    Pappy
    Was going to start this thread myself... Haley scripted the start of the game with a "don't lose" mentality... so Cowher-esque... The Ravens came out to win. They jumped on us right from the get go... You only get a limited number of possessions in todays NFL.. Note to Haley: Act like you want to win the game and have a pair of balls between your legs... I had a real bad feeling after that start as I'm sure a lot other people did too.

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Where is the friggin' No-huddle?

    Per Kovacevic, Steelers called only 5 plays out of the no-huddle in the 1st half ...

    Or could the coordinator have worried that the quarterback would come running over to the sideline again if he didn't like hearing a different signal?
    What's going on isn't good enough, and if you need more evidence, then listen to Roethlisberger when asked why the Steelers didn't produce much until going to the no-huddle in the fourth quarter.
    “I don't know,” he said. “Maybe with the no-huddle, going up-tempo, working with coach Haley during timeouts … I thought we did well tonight, but we were a little too late.”
    The Steelers called five plays out of the no-huddle in the first half.
    After averaging 31 points in their previous four games, largely because of the no-huddle, they called five plays from it in the first half.
    What did the quarterback think of that?
    “At times, it's hard to do a lot of the things we want to do. But we did it late, and maybe we should have done it earlier. And maybe I should have voiced that a little more. I'll take that on myself, as well.”


    Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#ixzz2m3dSS3nK
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS






  9. #19

  10. #20
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Was going to start this thread myself... Haley scripted the start of the game with a "don't lose" mentality...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •