Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: A myth about not releasing /trading Woodley

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    1,654

    A myth about not releasing /trading Woodley

    --- I have no idea what the Steelers will do with LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds or any other personnel decisions they might have to make after the season. But here is a myth: They cannot cut/trade Woodley (or anyone else) because they would have too much “dead” money. That’s just not true.Woodley will make $8 million in salary next season and count $13.6 million against their salary cap. He has an $8.5 million salary in 2015 and counts $14 million against their cap. He has a $9 million salary in 2016 and counts $12 million against their cap. That’s about $14 million in “dead” money, which is bonus money that’s been pro-rated or salary redesigned as a bonus and pushed into the future. It does not include his salaries, which are not guaranteed.No matter what the Steelers do with Woodley – keep him, trade him, cut him – that $14 million cap hit isn’t going away. They can redistribute its affect by, for example, designating him as a June 1 release and taking a bigger cap hit in 2015 than 2014. Or they could just swallow hard and take the big hit in 2014.They also could keep him. And if they keep him, they add his $8 million salary to their salary cap count in 2014. If they would, say, release him after June 1, they would save that $8 million under their salary cap; he would still count $5.6 million, the so-called “dead” money for 2014, but that’s a lot less than $13.6 million.If they did that, his salary cap for 2015 would be a wash, about $14 million (as it now stands to be including his salary if he’s on the team) because all of the pro-rated stuff would count then. But then he would count nothing in 2016!This is not to say the Steelers will cut or trade Woodley, it is merely using him as an example to point out that when people say they cannot cut or trade a player because of the “dead” money involved, they are wrong. They actually would save money and plenty of cap room, although in this case they would no longer have the services of LaMarr Woodley.

  2. #2
    So if you cut Woodley next year pre-June 1, the Steelers lose roughly $500k in cap space. They also lose the services of Woodley and need to pay a replacement (who, in turn, will count against the cap). Cutting him this year is not a prudent use of resources. If he is a post June 1 cut, it still takes a bit out of the cap in 2014 and 2015.

    Realistically, if the Steelers are going to cut Woodley, their best option is to do so in 2015. The cut will still take a bite out of the cap but it won't be quite as severe.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    So if you cut Woodley next year pre-June 1, the Steelers lose roughly $500k in cap space. They also lose the services of Woodley and need to pay a replacement (who, in turn, will count against the cap). Cutting him this year is not a prudent use of resources. If he is a post June 1 cut, it still takes a bit out of the cap in 2014 and 2015.

    Realistically, if the Steelers are going to cut Woodley, their best option is to do so in 2015. The cut will still take a bite out of the cap but it won't be quite as severe.
    IIRC, in 2015 we will see the first significant jump in the cap as a result of the last CBA and the new TV contracts. Maybe one of our cap experts can confirm.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,452
    I don't think anyone said can't....I think more like won't. They could retain Worilds & make his year 1 number work where they could release Woodley in '15 where they would actually get some relief. They will have to draft some depth this year if that is in their plans. Woodley, Worilds, & Jones is deep...Just Worilds & Jones is an injury away from trouble because there is nothing behind them on this roster right now.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,860
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't think anyone said can't....I think more like won't. They could retain Worilds & make his year 1 number work where they could release Woodley in '15 where they would actually get some relief. They will have to draft some depth this year if that is in their plans. Woodley, Worilds, & Jones is deep...Just Worilds & Jones is an injury away from trouble because there is nothing behind them on this roster right now.
    Say it again and again....

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    --- I have no idea what the Steelers will do with LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds or any other personnel decisions they might have to make after the season. But here is a myth: They cannot cut/trade Woodley (or anyone else) because they would have too much “dead” money. That’s just not true.Woodley will make $8 million in salary next season and count $13.6 million against their salary cap. He has an $8.5 million salary in 2015 and counts $14 million against their cap. He has a $9 million salary in 2016 and counts $12 million against their cap. That’s about $14 million in “dead” money, which is bonus money that’s been pro-rated or salary redesigned as a bonus and pushed into the future. It does not include his salaries, which are not guaranteed.No matter what the Steelers do with Woodley – keep him, trade him, cut him – that $14 million cap hit isn’t going away. They can redistribute its affect by, for example, designating him as a June 1 release and taking a bigger cap hit in 2015 than 2014. Or they could just swallow hard and take the big hit in 2014.They also could keep him. And if they keep him, they add his $8 million salary to their salary cap count in 2014. If they would, say, release him after June 1, they would save that $8 million under their salary cap; he would still count $5.6 million, the so-called “dead” money for 2014, but that’s a lot less than $13.6 million.If they did that, his salary cap for 2015 would be a wash, about $14 million (as it now stands to be including his salary if he’s on the team) because all of the pro-rated stuff would count then. But then he would count nothing in 2016!This is not to say the Steelers will cut or trade Woodley, it is merely using him as an example to point out that when people say they cannot cut or trade a player because of the “dead” money involved, they are wrong. They actually would save money and plenty of cap room, although in this case they would no longer have the services of LaMarr Woodley.
    Please just read what you posted...you are describing a horrible cap situation that the Steelers would put themselves in with regards to dead cap money...the Steelers could cut Woodley...the myth is that it could be a remotely good idea...

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,662
    Cutting woodley would be idiotic.
    What I foresee.....
    Worilds at ROLB, Woodley at LOLB, Timmons and Jones in the middle.
    They've already toyed with Jones in the middle...
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  8. #8
    I don't think Worilds will be with the team next year...I think he may end up being the next Mike Wallace...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Cutting woodley would be idiotic.
    What I foresee.....
    Worilds at ROLB, Woodley at LOLB, Timmons and Jones in the middle.
    They've already toyed with Jones in the middle...
    IMO Worilds is no good on the right side. He played the right side to start the year and has been benched. He replaces Woodley on the left side for two games and suddenly everyone is singing his praises. He has shown this pattern throughout his career. Worilds on the right is not a good idea.

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't think Worilds will be with the team next year...I think he may end up being the next Mike Wallace...
    Based on 2 games? His stats over 4 years aren't nearly as impressive as MW's.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •