Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hood at NT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm sorry, Ovi, but I don't see it. Even when he has been asked to rush the passer, Hood has shown very little. Look at the impact that Heyward has on passing plays vs. Hood. Hood did make a nice move yesterday, but hasn't done anything to show that he would be an impact player in any system.

It will be interesting to see what they do against the Ravens. The Ravens center had a hard time with McClendon (one of the few games where I've seen McClendon's play as a positive - the other was against the Titans). I'm not sure that Hood or Al Woods will give him similar troubles.

I'd imagine that the Steelers DL will be Hood-Woods-Heyward if Keisel cannot go again. If Keisel is able to go, it will be interesting to see if Hood gets reps at NT.

I'm interested to see if the Steelers have anything in Fangupo, who seems to be built in the mold of Joel Steed and Casey Hampton, but a huge game against the Ravens on a short week is not where I'd want to experiment.

We can continue to disagree but Hood looks much stronger rushing the passer from the inside. Yesterday I saw him pushing the pocket on several occasions and flushing the QB to Worilds side.

Like Worilds, I know there are a lot of posters who have invested a lot of print to bashing Hood but he has looked good the past few games so I'll give him his due.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We can continue to disagree but Hood looks much stronger rushing the passer from the inside. Yesterday I saw him pushing the pocket on several occasions and flushing the QB to Worilds side.

Like Worilds, I know there are a lot of posters who have invested a lot of print to bashing Hood but he has looked good the past few games so I'll give him his due.
    I've wondered if we were playing Hood on the wrong side all along? I thought he looked great on Keisel's side and Heyward never really looked that good over there. And now Heyward looks great in Ziggy's old slot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Al Woods looked pretty good in there.
    One thing i noticed is he lined up deeper off the LOS when over the center.

Starter

User Info Menu

If we get a chance to see Woods and Fangupo play this week, we might find we have a decent future for our DL. Assuming Hood leaves as a FA next year (he is in a contract year, right). Without Hood and a little good luck injury-wise (when have we had that recently?), we could have DE's Heyward, Keisel, McClendon (move to DE), N. Williams and Arnfeldt, and Woods and Fangupo manning NT, we add D.Shelton as a true space-eating NT in Round 3, and maybe even J. Mauro as a DE in Rd 6. I think that's not a bad future--with some good competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm all for Hood playing at "NT" next year.

That is if NT stands for: New TEAM

He did alright great. If he wasnt a first rounder we would have given up on him already.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Administrator

User Info Menu

Wait a minute.... Hood gets blown off the line of scrimmage as a 3-4 DE but we think he can hold his ground as a NT. Based on a few years of evidence, what in the hell would give anyone the idea that he could stand his ground as a 3-4 NT? I'm just curious.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I thought Woods took over, though I did notice Hood have a nice arm-over move, to get a pressure on the QB. Sadly, it really felt like the first good move I've ever seen Hood use on a pass-rush.
    Woods had two sacks. Maybe he wont be coming off the field anytime soon, even when those other players are ready to play.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

He did alright great. If he wasnt a first rounder we would have given up on him already.
    That's pretty funny bro

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

It is also humorous, people thinking that we've simply missed the boat... that it is a simple switch of positions or sides that will salvage this ham & egger. If he was a very good 4-3 DT, wouldn't we have put him in that situation during passing situations, and watched him go Geno Atkins over the league? Of course we would.

It isn't the side, or the scheme... he's just not very good.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Reality is that Hood would be a very, very good 4-3 DT. Just not sure he fits what LeBeau does
    Take off the b&g glasses, Ovideo. HOOD STINKS. You can count on one hand how many plays he's made. I can't wait until he's off the team.