Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooo, about that "tomlin has lost the team" stuff

Legend

User Info Menu

Regardless of who the fans want to blame for last year's fiasco and the early season struggles this year take a look at the defense that played this past weekend. Only Troy, Ike and Ryan Clark are the real veterans remaining, the rest are the players drafted to replace and infuse youth on defense, Heywarad, McClendon/Woods, Hood, Worilds, Williams, Timmons, Jones, and finally Cortez in the secondary. This was coming and it may have taken longer than what was hoped for, but the young guys have improved and are starting to play better as a unit.
    --
    The offense has been in transition during the same time with the only real constant being Ben. The offensive line finally appears to be gelling as a unit and is keeping Ben upright, the run game still needs help, but Bell is showing he's an every down back. Ben, Miller and Cotchery are the only veterans the rest are young and gaining experience and confidence, Beachum, Velasco, Gilbert, Adams, DeCastro, Foster, Pouncey et al, Brown, Sanders, Bell, Dwyer, the roster has changed folks, this is a much younger team than they were 12 months ago.
    --
    And, now they're finding ways to win games, unfortunately, a couple of bad losses early may be their downfall, but the future looks pretty good, let's see how they handle the pressure of Thursday night in a game that in all likelihood eliminates the losing team from the playoffs.Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Definitely not an "I told you so" sentiment from me ...because I didn't. My only thing was "let's wait and see". I'm still at that point because the season isn't over. That said, there were plenty of posters hollering about how Tomlin had lost the team; Tomlin wasn't Cowher etc. etc. Personally, I believe that their glee was premature.
    Yep... most were saying Tomlin should be given a chance just like Cowher but the pitchfork crowd didn't want to hear it.

Notice how they all disappeared like cockroaches whe the lights come on... I always find it odd when "fans" are more excited and animated after losses.

I guess its the inner coach/gm mentality we all have... not much to correct or coach up after wins.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yep... most were saying Tomlin should be given a chance just like Cowher but the pitchfork crowd didn't want to hear it. Notice how they all disappeared like cockroaches whe the lights come on... I always find it odd when "fans" are more excited and animated after losses. I guess its the inner coach/gm mentality we all have... not much to correct or coach up after wins.
    --
    There's plenty to coach up, but it was pretty cool watching a Steeler team actually dominate the game, save for the typical 4th quarter prevent defense that always gives up yards and points in an otherwise dominating game.
    --
    Flacco is better than Campbell and Weeden, the defense needs Ike to be much better Thursday than he was this past week.

--Lets hope he gets his Swag back form Swaggin U!
    --Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I was critical of Tomlin and the coaching staff, for the team coming out of training camp, to an 0-4 start. I thought this team was too talented to be an 0-4 team, setting franchise futility records til that point. I also give credit where it is due; I think the staff (mainly Tomlin) has stepped up to the plate to save what was looking like a lost season. I stand by whatever I said

I don't get the I-told-you-so sentiment by this thread.

First of all, we haven't done anything yet. Even if we do (i.e. make the playoffs), I don't see where anyone was wrong, being highly critical of the coaches (and players for that matter) during that first month of the season.
    I was taking this thread as a "I told you so thread" ....

Like I said, this team is playing better and sharper but my criticisms are still holding true.

Earlier this year we lost to teams that we should be have won easily. At this point in the year, we are winning against those subpar teams. That is where I give the credit. I'm hesitant to say this is a real good team until I see them perform against stiffer competition. I think our offense is solid. I think our pass defense can very easily get torched.

Thursday should be a good test overall.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I was taking this thread as a "I told you so thread" ....

Like I said, this team is playing better and sharper but my criticisms are still holding true.

Earlier this year we lost to teams that we should be have won easily. At this point in the year, we are winning against those subpar teams. That is where I give the credit. I'm hesitant to say this is a real good team until I see them perform against stiffer competition. I think our offense is solid. I think our pass defense can very easily get torched.

Thursday should be a good test overall.
    we lost Pouncey on the second drive of the game...

Ben had an insane TO rate early on...

D wasn't getting TO's and Troy and Clark tried to do too much instead of doing their job.

Times have changed... and honestly, while it's a divisional game on the road these Rats aren't that good. 5-6. Not saying it's an easy win (no divisional game is) but I wouldn't use a W as anything more than 1 more W on our way to an amazing turnaround.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The Browns and Bills are SB contenders! Let's jump for joy that we can beat crap teams. Thats how low Steelers' fans expectations are these days.

The days of dominant teams are done with, thanks to the parity in the league. Play week to week and enjoy the ride is how I roll...
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yep... most were saying Tomlin should be given a chance just like Cowher but the pitchfork crowd didn't want to hear it.

Notice how they all disappeared like cockroaches whe the lights come on... I always find it odd when "fans" are more excited and animated after losses.

I guess its the inner coach/gm mentality we all have... not much to correct or coach up after wins.
    Of course people are more animated after a loss. They are upset and venting. Of course people are upset with coaches when the team puts together horrid games with the amount of talent on this squad. I'm not sure about your point. When the Steelers are winning, everyone is happy...discourse is playful and light. When the Steelers are losing, not so much. Seems pretty natural to me.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

I have said all along I will judge Tomlin on a whole season of work. Most seasons have ups and downs. We had our downs early in the season this year. I give credit to Tomlin for getting this team back on the right track. But I also give him the blame for having this team completely unprepared to start the season. The Pre-season was a trainwreck. It was no shock to me that we started the season the way we did. I hope Tomlin learns from his mistakes this year and it makes him a better coach going forward. And I belive this turnaround has earned him the right to be here going forward.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    I have said all along I will judge Tomlin on a whole season of work. Most seasons have ups and downs. We had our downs early in the season this year. I give credit to Tomlin for getting this team back on the right track. But I also give him the blame for having this team completely unprepared to start the season. The Pre-season was a trainwreck. It was no shock to me that we started the season the way we did. I hope Tomlin learns from his mistakes this year and it makes him a better coach going forward. And I belive this turnaround has earned him the right to be here going forward.
    I think this is a very even stance. I also think the coaches got a fair brunt of vitriol from fans, media, and likely the Rooneys after their team came out flat, undisciplined and unprepared. I am also willing to give them credit for a good mid season turn around. But, they are only 5-6, and some are acting as if Tomlin is coach of the year. I want to see how this season plays out before I make any further opinions on who should stay or go after this season. IMO, it's way too early to be creating threads in the "I Told You So" genre.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think this is a very even stance. I also think the coaches got a fair brunt of vitriol from fans, media, and likely the Rooneys after their team came out flat, undisciplined and unprepared. I am also willing to give them credit for a good mid season turn around. But, they are only 5-6, and some are acting as if Tomlin is coach of the year. I want to see how this season plays out before I make any further opinions on who should stay or go after this season. IMO, it's way too early to be creating threads in the "I Told You So" genre.
    Again, as the thread creator, I can tell you with certainty that it was not created in the "I Told You So" genre. To state it simply, I can't say I told you so because I didn't "Tell You So". I had my doubts about whether we WOULD see improvement from this team this year. My main criticism was that some of you were ready to run the man out of town, while holding up Cowher as "The Standard" "So to Speak", when "Obviously" there are more than a few similarities between these last two years and a couple of situations during the Cowher era. My belief was (AND IS) that you were being rash and to a very large degree unfair.

But hey, feel free to misstate my words in any manner that suits your argument ....I'm cool with it.