Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooo, about that "tomlin has lost the team" stuff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Backup

User Info Menu

Soooo, about that "tomlin has lost the team" stuff

Just wondering if all you who were saying that earlier in the season will please stand up and be accounted for? Please tell us again how this Head Coach has lost the trust, enthusiasm, pulse and control of the team ... Not seeking those who don't like his decisions, etc. Just those who were talking about how he was weak willed and had lost the attention of his team and THAT was why we were losing .... anyone?

Legend

User Info Menu

Me personally, I ragged on all the coaches. I don't know if I said he lost control of the team, but I did say that this Steeler team is finally HIS Steeler team...and how he handles this adversity will tell me a lot about him as a coach. And while I am really liking this turn around...I am still waiting to see if he can sustain the winning. This team is really playing well right now. Before I annoint the coach of a 5-6 team coach of the year...I will need see how this team finishes.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Me personally, I ragged on all the coaches. I don't know if I said he lost control of the team, but I did say that this Steeler team is finally HIS Steeler team...and how he handles this adversity will tell me a lot about him as a coach. And while I am really liking this turn around...I am still waiting to see if he can sustain the winning. This team is really playing well right now. Before I annoint the coach of a 5-6 team coach of the year...I will need see how this team finishes.
    Fair enough. and that is a really nonjudgmental statement that I can agree with. There were however other posters who were calling for his head and flat out saying that he had lost the team and should be fired mid-season along with Haley. I myself will cop to being in the "fire Haley" camp. And like your sentiments regarding Tomlin, when it comes to Haley I will say that Haley has improved (if only by letting Ben have more control) but, I will await final results til I make a judgment.

Legend

User Info Menu

The coaches on this team didn't suddenly forget how to coach. The biggest difference between now and earlier in the season is the number of times the offense gave the ball away. Now that the offense has taking care of the football and Ben is playing better the team appears to be headed in the right direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great that we won and seem to be playing better on some fronts. But Tomlin still does seem to have the team playing flat from time to time. I completely get why people think he loses the focus of the team when he says we're gonna unleash hell and we play completely uninspired.

At the same time, I like his consistent demeanor. He doesn't get too up or too down. He's steady. It may be that style works with some and not others? But I always hear people mention how much he pays attention to detail and coaches everyone up in practice.

Its easy to see that our execution has been our biggest problem to start the season. And we made a lot of mental mistakes and when they happen on every unit of the team, that responsibility has to fall back to the HC. Plus we seem to have some issues with the quality of the personnel. And Tomlin has to own that as well. And I think one of the issues we have is we don't have as intense players like we used to in Porter, Farrior, Ward, Bettis, Harrison etc. And that might be why we seem flat on the field. Maybe Tomlin has to get a couple real leaders on the field to ensure we don't seem lost from time to time.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Great that we won and seem to be playing better on some fronts. But Tomlin still does seem to have the team playing flat from time to time. I completely get why people think he loses the focus of the team when he says we're gonna unleash hell and we play completely uninspired.

At the same time, I like his consistent demeanor. He doesn't get too up or too down. He's steady. It may be that style works with some and not others? But I always hear people mention how much he pays attention to detail and coaches everyone up in practice.

Its easy to see that our execution has been our biggest problem to start the season. And we made a lot of mental mistakes and when they happen on every unit of the team, that responsibility has to fall back to the HC. Plus we seem to have some issues with the quality of the personnel. And Tomlin has to own that as well. And I think one of the issues we have is we don't have as intense players like we used to in Porter, Farrior, Ward, Bettis, Harrison etc. And that might be why we seem flat on the field. Maybe Tomlin has to get a couple real leaders on the field to ensure we don't seem lost from time to time.
    I'm seeing AB step up as one of the "young" leaders on the offensive side of the ball and Cam on the defense ... that's it for young guys stepping up. I'd love to see more. Maybe after this year of fighting through adversity we see that. Porter, Farrior, Ward, Bettis, Harrison, etc. didn't just jump on the field as leaders, they grew into the role.
    I get where you're coming from on the early struggles of all the units and how you look at the HC when it's "all" the units ... what I'm saying is that, like his sideline demeanor or not, those who said he lost the team earlier in the year need to stand up and eat the crow they cooked ... This team is not lost. This team has not given up. And for at least this stretch of the season, this team is playing with the pride and determination that makes us proud to call them PITTSBURGH STEELERS! and OBTW, Mike Tomlin is the HC while all of this is going on ...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I'm seeing AB step up as one of the "young" leaders on the offensive side of the ball and Cam on the defense ... that's it for young guys stepping up. I'd love to see more. Maybe after this year of fighting through adversity we see that. Porter, Farrior, Ward, Bettis, Harrison, etc. didn't just jump on the field as leaders, they grew into the role.
    I get where you're coming from on the early struggles of all the units and how you look at the HC when it's "all" the units ... what I'm saying is that, like his sideline demeanor or not, those who said he lost the team earlier in the year need to stand up and eat the crow they cooked ... This team is not lost. This team has not given up. And for at least this stretch of the season, this team is playing with the pride and determination that makes us proud to call them PITTSBURGH STEELERS! and OBTW, Mike Tomlin is the HC while all of this is going on ...
    I like how Tomlin doesn't panic and think he deserves a lot of credit for keeping this team fighting. And I'm with you, I think Cam and AB are studs.

But I can see both sides of it. This team really seems to have a Jeckyl Hyde complex. We've got so many talented players yet it seems like we often struggle from time to time. And I think a lot of folks want to make it easy and blame one player or coach whether it's Tomlin or Haley or Colbert or Rooney or Ben or Troy or Woodley or the Oline, etc. And I don't think any of us have a clue cause we're not there or in practice with these guys.

Brian Bilick said he was at a Steelers practice and was so impressed by Tomlin and how engaged he is with all the players focusing on all the details. I'd take what he says about Tomlin being a great coach at face value.

I still do wonder why we have so many problems in player drafting and player development. I also wonder why we struggle with units like our Oline for such a prolonged period.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I like how Tomlin doesn't panic and think he deserves a lot of credit for keeping this team fighting. And I'm with you, I think Cam and AB are studs.

But I can see both sides of it. This team really seems to have a Jeckyl Hyde complex. We've got so many talented players yet it seems like we often struggle from time to time. And I think a lot of folks want to make it easy and blame one player or coach whether it's Tomlin or Haley or Colbert or Rooney or Ben or Troy or Woodley or the Oline, etc. And I don't think any of us have a clue cause we're not there or in practice with these guys.

Brian Bilick said he was at a Steelers practice and was so impressed by Tomlin and how engaged he is with all the players focusing on all the details. I'd take what he says about Tomlin being a great coach at face value.

I still do wonder why we have so many problems in player drafting and player development. I also wonder why we struggle with units like our Oline for such a prolonged period.
    I personally think it's exactly what they have told us .... not "rebuilding" but rather "transitioning" . i.e. getting younger guys in in place of older vets without trying to lose games ... it didn't work out so well early... funny thing .. they never said the transition would be painless ... only "we" expected that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I personally think it's exactly what they have told us .... not "rebuilding" but rather "transitioning" . i.e. getting younger guys in in place of older vets without trying to lose games ... it didn't work out so well early... funny thing .. they never said the transition would be painless ... only "we" expected that.
    I expected a slow start and thought we might start getting better by December heading into the playoffs. The slow start though was even worse than I had expected. Im still cautiously optimistic - of course I still believe we'll win out all the way thru the SuperBowl

I think the biggest difference in the team may have nothing to do with the coaches and most of the players. It might just be Ben coming around and getting back to form.

Legend

User Info Menu

I still think Haley stinks.