Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81

Thread: Soooo, about that "tomlin has lost the team" stuff

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Why patience for Tomlin, and not for Haley?
    Really Shawn?
    Come ON you are a reasonable guy, you KNOW the answer.
    Now I have defended Haley many times but the fact that Tomlin DESERVES more patience is OBVIOUS.
    This is why:









    Even THIS TOMLIN had more rings than Haley



    Finally HERE is a Tomlin that has just as many rings as Haley

    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-26-2013 at 08:35 PM.

  2. #62
    I have said from day 1 of our skid: it was not reasonable or rationally justifiable to condemn our coaches when the players we had on the field were so obviously "below-the-line" in quality. Injuries, rookies and youth, inexperience at positions played ... "come on man", you can't make chicken salad out of ...

    The fact that those same players are now performing seems to me to be a good reflection on the coaches. Playoff-bound or not, it takes more than a "mail it in" coach to pull a team out of the emotional skid that is part of such a horrible run.

    Having said that, I will friggin' break my TV screen if we have another one of those games like the *s game, or the Raiders, or the ...

    HERE WE GO, STEELERS!!


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  3. #63
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm about to get you a tin foil hat. That is some serious paranoia. Any real Steeler fan puts the team winning over their gripe with a player, coach, or the desire for a good draft pick. If not, they need to root for the Ravens. Seriously, I want to know who the posters are who hate Tomlin so much they want the Steelers to lose. Also interesting is the fact that you didn't mention Haley. He got more heat than Tomlin by a long shot.
    I'm about to get you some glasses and a clue. I'm not the only one talking about it so spare me the tinfoil nonsense.

    I have bashed AND defended Haley. I defended Haley when people suggested all the good calls are Ben and all the bad ones are Haley.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

    Finally HERE is a Tomlin that has just as many rings as Haley


  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Happy because they wanted Tomlin exposed.
    Not to be a race baiter or anything, but that may have had something to do with the above for *some* people (certainly not the majority here, but they're around).

  6. #66
    Well, I'm one of the ones who called for Tomlin to be canned...I'll admit, that was too harsh, and I'm grateful that the team is now playing better.

    But I really can't see how Tomlin was doing such a bang-up job the first part of the season. And I don't see how the Steelers' problems were all due to "injuries, rookies and youth, and inexperience at positions played." Seems to me that most of the seasoned veterans were playing pretty crappy football as well. The whole team looked unfocused, undisciplined, and unprepared. I still can't fathom MT's travel schedule for the London game. And there's lots of blame on the board that's been assigned to Haley and LeBeau, but since when is the HC not to be held accountable as well? Does he not meet with his coordinators, and strategize, and approve of their game plans before they implement them?

    After the poor start, MT really began to crack down when it comes to practice and preparation, and focus on the details of playing good football. "Practices and film sessions have been conducted with a vigor even veterans say they hadn't seen. Accountability has been raised. Moves have been made. And if you ask the athletes, it all feels like it has happened in a blur. (Ramon Foster: ) 'There's been so much work, so much attention to detail...' (http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#ixzz2lrEQ79ob)

    My question is, why wasn't Tomlin doing those things earlier? Why wait until you've squandered 1/4 or 1/5 of the season to get after your job?
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 11-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Well, I'm one of the ones who called for Tomlin to be canned...I'll admit, that was too harsh, and I'm grateful that the team is now playing better.

    But I really can't see how Tomlin was doing such a bang-up job the first part of the season. And I don't see how the Steelers' problems were all due to "injuries, rookies and youth, and inexperience at positions played." Seems to me that most of the seasoned veterans were playing pretty crappy football as well. The whole team looked unfocused, undisciplined, and unprepared. I still can't fathom MT's travel schedule for the London game. And there's lots of blame on the board that's been assigned to Haley and LeBeau, but since when is the HC not to be held accountable as well? Does he not meet with his coordinators, and strategize, and approve of their game plans before they implement them?

    After the poor start, MT really began to crack down when it comes to practice and preparation, and focus on the details of playing good football. "Practices and film sessions have been conducted with a vigor even veterans say they hadn't seen. Accountability has been raised. Moves have been made. And if you ask the athletes, it all feels like it has happened in a blur. (Ramon Foster: ) 'There's been so much work, so much attention to detail...' (http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#ixzz2lrEQ79ob)

    My question is, why wasn't Tomlin doing those things earlier? Why wait until you've pissed away 1/4 or 1/5 of the season to get after your job?

    Undoubtedly the team was very illprepared early in the season. It also played without heart -- to the point where we were questioning the lack of leaders in the team, not just the coaching.

    That said, things have picked up. Our preseason stank, and the lead up to the season stank, but we've been there before. We saw it in 98, 99, 00, and saw the team begin to pick up only at the end of 00.

    Its definitely on the coaches. What everyone agrees is not that the coaches were doing a great job early, but that they have managed to get their collective heads out of their behinds and turn things around. They may have been complacent and sloppy early, but they've shown that they know how to right the ship. This looks like the 00 season.
    We may not make it to the playoffs this year, but it augurs well for next year, the way I see it. On the other hand last year (like 99) didn't augur well for this year. It ended very poorly. Part of the reason for all the questioning of the coaches was the fact that they hadn't seemed to have responded properly to the collapse late last year. Again -- like 99.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Undoubtedly the team was very illprepared early in the season. It also played without heart -- to the point where we were questioning the lack of leaders in the team, not just the coaching.

    That said, things have picked up. Our preseason stank, and the lead up to the season stank, but we've been there before. We saw it in 98, 99, 00, and saw the team begin to pick up only at the end of 00.

    Its definitely on the coaches. What everyone agrees is not that the coaches were doing a great job early, but that they have managed to get their collective heads out of their behinds and turn things around. They may have been complacent and sloppy early, but they've shown that they know how to right the ship. This looks like the 00 season.
    We may not make it to the playoffs this year, but it augurs well for next year, the way I see it. On the other hand last year (like 99) didn't augur well for this year. It ended very poorly. Part of the reason for all the questioning of the coaches was the fact that they hadn't seemed to have responded properly to the collapse late last year. Again -- like 99.
    Good points. We have good reason to be hopeful looking forward.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Undoubtedly the team was very illprepared early in the season. It also played without heart -- to the point where we were questioning the lack of leaders in the team, not just the coaching.

    That said, things have picked up. Our preseason stank, and the lead up to the season stank, but we've been there before. We saw it in 98, 99, 00, and saw the team begin to pick up only at the end of 00.

    Its definitely on the coaches. What everyone agrees is not that the coaches were doing a great job early, but that they have managed to get their collective heads out of their behinds and turn things around. They may have been complacent and sloppy early, but they've shown that they know how to right the ship. This looks like the 00 season.
    We may not make it to the playoffs this year, but it augurs well for next year, the way I see it. On the other hand last year (like 99) didn't augur well for this year. It ended very poorly. Part of the reason for all the questioning of the coaches was the fact that they hadn't seemed to have responded properly to the collapse late last year. Again -- like 99.
    I like the analogy to things that happened during the Cowher era simply because Cowher is held up by many as the anti-Tomlin or the "standard" for Tomlin. And as many have pointed out, we've seen these types of lulls when Cowher was the head man in charge also.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I like the analogy to things that happened during the Cowher era simply because Cowher is held up by many as the anti-Tomlin or the "standard" for Tomlin. And as many have pointed out, we've seen these types of lulls when Cowher was the head man in charge also.
    But never with a uninjured franchise QB. Also does anybody remember the 2000 season? The Steelers got 3 apology letters from the NFL for blowing 3 calls in 3 different games. Using Cowher as some sort of scapegoat is bologna. Cowher had to continue to rebuild teams in the 90's because of the loss of FAs. He also had to go through a power struggle with Donahoe. 7 years into his tenure the best players on this team are STILL from Cowher's time. Tomlin hasn't made ONE position stronger than before he got here. But yea, Cowher struggled a couple of years so that means Tomlin is off the hook... I guess it is easier to compare totally different situations just to make your point of view seem correct.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •