Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Soooo, about that "tomlin has lost the team" stuff

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Sorry but the team showed all of these characteristics during their 0-4 and 2-6 start. I'm thrilled they've turned it around but you have to admit, they looked like a rudderless ship during the first half of the season.
    And you have to admit that it may have been a little to early to be saying the HC had lost his team ... especially since that very team has fought back, showed pride and gone on to win 5 out of 7 of the last games. Soooo, making excuses for what you thought you saw at that time and then telling me how I have to agree doesn't work ... DO ... YOU ... STILL... SAY ... TOMLIN ... HAS .. LOST ... THIS ... TEAM? no "mealy mouthed" "wishy washy" Bull Crap .. YES or NO?
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 11-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I like how Tomlin doesn't panic and think he deserves a lot of credit for keeping this team fighting. And I'm with you, I think Cam and AB are studs.

    But I can see both sides of it. This team really seems to have a Jeckyl Hyde complex. We've got so many talented players yet it seems like we often struggle from time to time. And I think a lot of folks want to make it easy and blame one player or coach whether it's Tomlin or Haley or Colbert or Rooney or Ben or Troy or Woodley or the Oline, etc. And I don't think any of us have a clue cause we're not there or in practice with these guys.

    Brian Bilick said he was at a Steelers practice and was so impressed by Tomlin and how engaged he is with all the players focusing on all the details. I'd take what he says about Tomlin being a great coach at face value.

    I still do wonder why we have so many problems in player drafting and player development. I also wonder why we struggle with units like our Oline for such a prolonged period.
    I personally think it's exactly what they have told us .... not "rebuilding" but rather "transitioning" . i.e. getting younger guys in in place of older vets without trying to lose games ... it didn't work out so well early... funny thing .. they never said the transition would be painless ... only "we" expected that.

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,369
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I personally think it's exactly what they have told us .... not "rebuilding" but rather "transitioning" . i.e. getting younger guys in in place of older vets without trying to lose games ... it didn't work out so well early... funny thing .. they never said the transition would be painless ... only "we" expected that.
    I expected a slow start and thought we might start getting better by December heading into the playoffs. The slow start though was even worse than I had expected. Im still cautiously optimistic - of course I still believe we'll win out all the way thru the SuperBowl

    I think the biggest difference in the team may have nothing to do with the coaches and most of the players. It might just be Ben coming around and getting back to form.

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    And you have to admit that it may have been a little to early to be saying the HC had lost his team ... especially since that very team has fought back, showed pride and gone on to win 5 out of 7 of the last games. Soooo, making excuses for what you thought you saw at that time and then telling me how I have to agree doesn't work ... DO ... YOU ... STILL... SAY ... TOMLIN ... HAS .. LOST ... THIS ... TEAM? no "mealy mouthed" "wishy washy" Bull Crap .. YES or NO?
    Settle down skippy. I made an honest evaluation for the first half of the season. Get back to me after Week 17 and I'll let you know what I think. Sheesh!

    Why has this board gotten so defensive and butt-hurt that we can't even enjoy victories let alone a winning streak. I feel like I'm back at the old Trib board.
    Last edited by SteelBucks; 11-24-2013 at 10:16 PM.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Settle down skippy. I made an honest evaluation for the first half of the season. Get back to me after Week 17 and I'll let you know what I think. Sheesh!

    Why has this board has gotten so defensive and butt-hurt that we can't even enjoy victories let alone a winning streak. I feel like I'm back at the old Trib board.
    I apologize buddy. got mixed up in threads and thought I was responding to Syd (it happens after a few cervezas) ... in any event, like I told Flippy, I'm all for evaluating the season "after the season" ... but, at this point, those that said the team quit on their coach are wrong. And, I hope they continue to prove those folks wrong.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Just wondering if all you who were saying that earlier in the season will please stand up and be accounted for? Please tell us again how this Head Coach has lost the trust, enthusiasm, pulse and control of the team ... Not seeking those who don't like his decisions, etc. Just those who were talking about how he was weak willed and had lost the attention of his team and THAT was why we were losing .... anyone?
    I was hating on him. I didn't think he'd lost the team; just that he had done a lousy job coaching and didn't seem to show any indication that he know how to improve the situation.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    I was hating on him. I didn't think he'd lost the team; just that he had done a lousy job coaching and didn't seem to show any indication that he know how to improve the situation.
    And your thoughts now? I'm sure you still stand by your earlier thoughts about the first 4 games ... and truthfully, I can't say any of you were wrong about those 4 games ... but, I see this rebound as a total "TEAM" rebound ... Players and coaches (yes, even Haley ... though I still don't like the guy).

  8. #18
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I apologize buddy. got mixed up in threads and thought I was responding to Syd (it happens after a few cervezas) ... in any event, like I told Flippy, I'm all for evaluating the season "after the season" ... but, at this point, those that said the team quit on their coach are wrong. And, I hope they continue to prove those folks wrong.
    No apology necessary. This season has been bizarre enough to make all lose it from time to time.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    And your thoughts now? I'm sure you still stand by your earlier thoughts about the first 4 games ... and truthfully, I can't say any of you were wrong about those 4 games ... but, I see this rebound as a total "TEAM" rebound ... Players and coaches (yes, even Haley ... though I still don't like the guy).
    Ive changed my mind, and perhaps swung the other way a bit. The coaches *have* shown that they can coach their way out of a bad situation.
    Honestly, right now I don't get people attributing all the playcalling to Ben. The plays are designed by the coaches, with help from the players; Ben may choose which one to call, but the responsibility of the design belongs to coaches.

    It appears to me that the coaches have managed to get their act together. The players have also managed to get *their* act together -- if we didn't have stupid turnovers in the first two games, we be speaking differently just now. They're executing. Overall, this is beginning to look like the tail end of the 2000 season -- it was a precursor to a pretty good 2001. With some luck (fingers crossed) we make it to the playoffs this season itself without waiting for next year to put it all together.

    My one gripe against Tomlin is that the team regularly comes out flat in key games. We'll know if that assessment is wrong on Thursday.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Ive changed my mind, and perhaps swung the other way a bit. The coaches *have* shown that they can coach their way out of a bad situation.
    Honestly, right now I don't get people attributing all the playcalling to Ben. The plays are designed by the coaches, with help from the players; Ben may choose which one to call, but the responsibility of the design belongs to coaches.

    It appears to me that the coaches have managed to get their act together. The players have also managed to get *their* act together -- if we didn't have stupid turnovers in the first two games, we be speaking differently just now. They're executing. Overall, this is beginning to look like the tail end of the 2000 season -- it was a precursor to a pretty good 2001. With some luck (fingers crossed) we make it to the playoffs this season itself without waiting for next year to put it all together.

    My one gripe against Tomlin is that the team regularly comes out flat in key games. We'll know if that assessment is wrong on Thursday.
    Another fair assessment ... and truthfully your thoughts mirror my own in some regards. What I will say is this; from coaches to players, this year's version of the Steelers comes off as kind of Schizophrenic/Bipolar ... you just don't know what your going to get from week to week. And if they had played/coached better earlier, this team would be in charge of the division

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •