Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Job by the Offensive Line

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    JPN--that 22 year old doesn't have experience and you never know whether he can make it. Velasco gives you both.

Not as sold on Pouncey as you clearly are. He is good and a solid Center but I don't think he is worth what he is likely going to be asking for especially given he is missing multiple games every year.
    You are right...And that's why a Velasco was on the streets. They draft that guy & if he can play the vet hits the streets. If you read my post above...You will see my feelings on Pouncey.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I do not think the Steelers should break the bank on Pouncey. I don't think he is worth the 7 yr / $50 mil Mangold got right now with his injury. The Steelers may want to see a full productive '14 before the do anything. Problem there is OL franchise numbers is a collective group of positions so the Steelers don't have anything to retain him without a 9-10 mil tag. They could gamble & try to get him at a lower price by extending him before '14. I'm sure they will talk with him & his agent in the offseason. If his price is too high they will let him start '14 on his final year. Might be in the best interest of the Steelers at that point if they think he is unsignable to trade him to the Dolphins in '14. That is why retaining Velasco may be a good idea.
    This is the perfect year to extend Pouncey. And I agree we need to keep him. Coming off a blown knee is a good time to talk some down to earth numbers. I would be thinking in the 5 year/25 million category.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This is the perfect year to extend Pouncey. And I agree we need to keep him. Coming off a blown knee is a good time to talk some down to earth numbers. I would be thinking in the 5 year/25 million category.
    He isn't worth much more than that. Really gets down to the guaranteed money and what he is willing to take. Lots of risk for the team given his "brittle" nature. Not sure we would want to "tag" him since the transition and franchise tags for OL at $8.7M and $9.8M respectively. He isn't worth either of those.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He isn't worth much more than that. Really gets down to the guaranteed money and what he is willing to take. Lots of risk for the team given his "brittle" nature. Not sure we would want to "tag" him since the transition and franchise tags for OL at $8.7M and $9.8M respectively. He isn't worth either of those.
    The problem is the Pro Bowls and All Pros. Im sure Pouncey's agent will have him expecting to be one of the best paid linemen in the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The problem is the Pro Bowls and All Pros. Im sure Pouncey's agent will have him expecting to be one of the best paid linemen in the game.
    I expect that Pouncey will go the route of Mike Wallace and overestimate his value to the team. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pouncey's together in Miami.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Crazy things happen when you follow the scheme...
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Velasco is playing good football but he isn't Pouncey. Velasco was playing good football with the Titans & he was on the street after his release. Most C's in the league are there because of limitations. When a "Pouncey" comes along... You try & hold on to them. Those "Velasco" types of Cs always become expendable after the draft. Velasco knows that story. Just ask him who Brian Schwenke is. As far as a contract, Every player in this league doesn't look for the biggest paycheck. Velasco may have found a home here & he would be happy with his role. He will be a 29 year old C. Do you think someone out there will pay him 3-4 mil a yr to be a starter? You can get a 22 year old in the 3rd or 4th round for 4 yr / 3 mil.

sorry, completely disagree. A probowl center that can't stay healthy (whether his fault or not) for 16 games isn't a probowl center. Velasco has clearly outplayed Pouncey. Velasco is with the team all of 3 months and he already has made strides vs what we get from Pouncey. Put the best players on the field at once, that includes Pouncey at guard if needed.

Legend

User Info Menu

One general question about the Oline - do u guys think a lot of our linemen are strong enough? Really the only 2 guys I've seen really push opponents around in the run game are Foster and Adams. DD and Pouncey seem pretty quick and able to get leverage on guys and move them in the right direction.

But I do question how physical some of these guys are? Is Velasco really that good? I think he sometimes looks a little weak at the point of attack. I think he's serviceable, but not great. Especially against some of the bigger interior linemen.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    One general question about the Oline - do u guys think a lot of our linemen are strong enough? Really the only 2 guys I've seen really push opponents around in the run game are Foster and Adams. DD and Pouncey seem pretty quick and able to get leverage on guys and move them in the right direction.

But I do question how physical some of these guys are? Is Velasco really that good? I think he sometimes looks a little weak at the point of attack. I think he's serviceable, but not great. Especially against some of the bigger interior linemen.
    That's been the problem since Hartwig left, (and Dawson and Webster). The team seems to favor these light athletic guys, but there is no substitute for a fireplug that can't be moved. Without the strength, these guys need to focus on technique and leverage. Seems that's a skill that takes a while to develop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    sorry, completely disagree. A probowl center that can't stay healthy (whether his fault or not) for 16 games isn't a probowl center. Velasco has clearly outplayed Pouncey. Velasco is with the team all of 3 months and he already has made strides vs what we get from Pouncey. Put the best players on the field at once, that includes Pouncey at guard if needed.
    Velasco has clearly outplayed Pouncey? LOL... the only reason you believe this is because you have the typical Steeler microscope on Pouncey.

Those are the number of games every season for Pouncey and are you really going to hold it against him after watching DD dive on him in the open field?