Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Great Job by the Offensive Line

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree on the original thought, a great job by the off. line. I didn't really key on Beachum this game, but that move may have helped more than we'll know. And I agree, some continuity by the line will work wonders for them. I think DD has gotten some confidence back, I saw him stonewall a couple dudes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Pouncey is going to be looking to be one of the highest paid Off Linemen in the NFL. We can't do that for him so I think he will be gone.

IMO Pouncey is the Wallace of the OL...lots of hype but when you look real close you see lots of holes. Someone will overpay for him like they did for Wallace...I just hope it isn't us.
    I'm still old school, thinking the character of the player has a lot to do with how valuable he is to the team overall. The "Free Hernandez" pic is now permanently linked in my mind with Pouncey's name, and for that reason, I would not be unhappy to see him go. Heck, he might still get a 3AM knock on the door by the local constable one day, for his shenanigans in Florida with Hernandez - it sure would be nice if he were on someone else's payroll when that happens.

It is illogical/irrational thinking like that which disqualifies me from the position of Steelers GM

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

On the Steelers: Adams gets shot to repair the line

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Adams gets a second chance Sunday when he starts at left tackle against the Miami Dolphins.

The Steelers can only hope he follows a similar path taken by John Jackson, one of their better left tackles of the past generation.

Jackson, too, fell on his face when he first played left tackle as a rookie in 1988. He started a preseason game at New Orleans where linebacker Pat Swilling, one of the NFL’s preeminent pass rushers at the time, blew past Jackson for three sacks that day.

Coach Chuck Noll wanted to cut him, but offensive line coach Ron Blackledge talked him out of it. Jackson did not start a regular-season game as a rookie, but won the job the next year and started at left tackle for the next nine seasons. He left as a free agent and started in San Diego and Cincinnati before calling it a career after 14 seasons in the NFL.

There’s a lesson there for Adams, who had a rough go of it through the first four games this season when he started at left tackle and got teed up by opposing pass rushers. Jared Allen of the Minnesota Vikings had a particularly good day against Adams with 2½ sacks, three quarterback hurries and a batted pass as the Steelers lost, 34-27, to fall to 0-4.

Adams then fell down the depth chart. Kelvin Beachum was promoted to starting left tackle for the fifth game and stayed there until he was lost to a sprained right knee last Thursday in their 22-20 loss at Baltimore.

Adams, who replaced Beachum against the Ravens, overcame his own ankle injury from that game and will start against Miami. He is the Steelers’ tallest lineman at 6 feet 7 and listed at 323 pounds.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, for one, believes the second-year pro still has the ability to become a good left tackle in the NFL.

“Absolutely, no doubt about it,” Roethlisberger said Thursday. “Besides the physical tools, he’s athletic, he’s big. You’re starting to see a little bit of nastiness, some toughness. A couple days ago in practice, he was kind of getting into little scuffles and stuff. Normally, you don’t want to see that, but yet certain guys, you do want to see that.”

Adams is one of them.

“We put him in games as that extra tight end, tackle, whatever it is,” Roethlisberger said. “That’s helping him build his confidence, as well. I do see a good future for him, I really do.”

It’s in Adams’ hands. Beachum, who was drafted to play guard, was forced to play left tackle after Adams’ early troubles and has tried to show the coaches he can play the position now and into the future.

Now it’s Adams’ turn to get another chance to show them the same thing — or at least show they were not wrong to make him their second-round draft choice in 2012.

“You go out there and play. If you don’t play well, you can’t let it get you down,” Adams said of his first four games. “Obviously, it didn’t work out too well.”

He welcomes the opportunity to show he can do the job.

“I feel like if Beach can’t go and my number gets called, I look forward to stepping in and helping my guys out. I’ve had a lot of time to work on fundamentals, footwork and stuff like that to improve stuff like that. I’ve definitely had a long while to work at it.

“It’s not really about changing things, it’s about improving things, just being more consistent, especially with my feet and hands. That’s what we’ve worked hard on every day, just get better at what you do every day, every play.”

Beachum, who sits next to Adams in the locker room and was part of the same 2012 draft class as a seventh-round pick, saw what his teammate went through early in the season.

“It was difficult. It was rough and people were attacking him. Seeing that, it was messing with his mind a little bit. I feel that he’s learned from it.

“I know he’ll do well. They wouldn’t have drafted him if they didn’t think he could handle adversity.”

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2mggDmUYk[/URL]

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Sorry...Not close. Velasco has played very good...But Velasco is no Pouncey. Pouncey's level of play is ProBowler...Period. You want to dispute if he is worth the dollars he will command...Fine. No disputing his play.
    No disputing his play?

Geez. I think he has been inconsistent the last few years, and I watch pretty closely. I'm a fan and I like him much better than Velasco. But, I think Pouncey does not consistently play like an all pro (especially recently).

I also take an issue with all of this "period" and "enough said" stuff that happens on message boards. That constitutes conversational bullying. I think JPN should be investigated by the mods and quite possibly suspended. I also suspect the use of PEDs based on the very high quality of many of his posts. Come clean, JPN.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    On the Steelers: Adams gets shot to repair the line

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Adams gets a second chance Sunday when he starts at left tackle against the Miami Dolphins.

The Steelers can only hope he follows a similar path taken by John Jackson, one of their better left tackles of the past generation.
    The problem is when Adams came in for Beachum against the Ravens, he didn't look very good. All of a sudden there was pressure on nearly every play he was in the game. I do think Adams could play RT, but I'm scared with him on the left.

Legend

User Info Menu

by Ed Bouchette

Mike Adams gets 2nd shot at LT for #Steelers after he failed his first one. He can hope he follows this guy's path:

Jackson, too, fell on his face when he first played left tackle as a rookie in 1988. He started a preseason game at New Orleans where linebacker Pat Swilling, one of the NFL’s preeminent pass rushers at the time, blew past Jackson for three sacks that day.

Coach Chuck Noll wanted to cut him, but offensive line coach Ron Blackledge talked him out of it. Jackson did not start a regular-season game as a rookie, but won the job the next year and started at left tackle for the next nine seasons. He left as a free agent and started in San Diego and Cincinnati before calling it a career after 14 seasons in the NFL.

[URL]http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/995e469d-277d-4471-9ab4-24766a601800/?source=twitter[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The problem is when Adams came in for Beachum against the Ravens, he didn't look very good. All of a sudden there was pressure on nearly every play he was in the game. I do think Adams could play RT, but I'm scared with him on the left.
    Ray Fittipaldo ‏@rayfitt1:

Mike Adams received the highest grade on offense for the Steelers against Miami from @PFF. He allowed just two QB hurries in 45 pass block sets.

[URL]https://twitter.com/rayfitt1[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    No disputing his play?

Geez. I think he has been inconsistent the last few years, and I watch pretty closely. I'm a fan and I like him much better than Velasco. But, I think Pouncey does not consistently play like an all pro (especially recently).

I also take an issue with all of this "period" and "enough said" stuff that happens on message boards. That constitutes conversational bullying. I think JPN should be investigated by the mods and quite possibly suspended. I also suspect the use of PEDs based on the very high quality of many of his posts. Come clean, JPN.
    Anyone have any Urine I could borrow? You can see from my posts, I don't think he should be paid as the best. He is better than Velasco but Velasco played his a$$ off for the Steelers. Love to have him back in '14.

Legend

User Info Menu

* The offensive line has allowed four sacks in the past four games, which is the lowest four-game total since the 2005 season.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/09/Defense-blown-open-again/stories/201312090052#ixzz2n0dYkAvt[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

who's laughing now oline?
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...