Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Job by the Offensive Line

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    You give Velasco a Foster deal of 3yr / 6 mil to remain here & back up Pouncey. Interior swing on gamedays. No reason he can't remain with Pouncey on roster.
    Why would you want Velasco as a backup to Pouncey if he's playing better than Pouncey? And why would Velasco want to sign to be a backup? The league knows he's starter material--so does he.

Legend

User Info Menu

Adams is just playing football by attacking. That is what the staff wants him to do. If he gets another shot at LT...That's what he needs to do. Think with his feet.
    Although, RT is more of an attacking position than LT. LT is more "read and react". I think that as of now, Adams would be much more suited for the right side than the left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Why would you want Velasco as a backup to Pouncey if he's playing better than Pouncey? And why would Velasco want to sign to be a backup? The league knows he's starter material--so does he.
    I've been saying this for well over a year, so I am not suddenly bashing a starter who is now out but...Pouncey is nowhere near as good as his accolades would suggest. He is easily the most overrated player on this team. He is average at best, and Velasco is playing at least as well, if not better.

I have said several times but I try to lock up Velasco in the 3 year - $7-8M range, with a cap hit around $2M or so for next year. I have read a few mixed things wrt Pouncey's contract for next year. It looks like he is due some sort of roster bonus, but not sure the amount. What I am pretty sure about is that the cap savings from cutting him is somewhere between $3.4M - $4.2M. I would take that savings for Velasco in a heartbeat.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Velasco is playing good football but he isn't Pouncey. Velasco was playing good football with the Titans & he was on the street after his release. Most C's in the league are there because of limitations. When a "Pouncey" comes along... You try & hold on to them. Those "Velasco" types of Cs always become expendable after the draft. Velasco knows that story. Just ask him who Brian Schwenke is. As far as a contract, Every player in this league doesn't look for the biggest paycheck. Velasco may have found a home here & he would be happy with his role. He will be a 29 year old C. Do you think someone out there will pay him 3-4 mil a yr to be a starter? You can get a 22 year old in the 3rd or 4th round for 4 yr / 3 mil.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Although, RT is more of an attacking position than LT. LT is more "read and react". I think that as of now, Adams would be much more suited for the right side than the left.
    I'm not talking positions. Attacking is a term to reference playing on the balls of your feet & not your heels. Once Adams started getting beat he was playing defensive & that is trouble.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not talking positions. Attacking is a term to reference playing on the balls of your feet & not your heels. Once Adams started getting beat he was playing defensive & that is trouble.
    I agree, but I also believe that he has more of a makeup to be a RT, as opposed to a LT.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've been saying this for well over a year, so I am not suddenly bashing a starter who is now out but...Pouncey is nowhere near as good as his accolades would suggest. He is easily the most overrated player on this team. He is average at best, and Velasco is playing at least as well, if not better.

I have said several times but I try to lock up Velasco in the 3 year - $7-8M range, with a cap hit around $2M or so for next year. I have read a few mixed things wrt Pouncey's contract for next year. It looks like he is due some sort of roster bonus, but not sure the amount. What I am pretty sure about is that the cap savings from cutting him is somewhere between $3.4M - $4.2M. I would take that savings for Velasco in a heartbeat.
    I totally agree that Pouncey is overrated. I've said this since he came out from Florida where I watched tons of his game. To his credit he has been solid as a Pro player but no way do I think he is Top 5 in the NFL.

I think they have to sign Velasco as a precaution to Pouncey going Mike Wallace on us and having ridiculous contract demands he isn't worth.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree, but I also believe that he has more of a makeup to be a RT, as opposed to a LT.
    That may be the case after it is all said & done. He does have the tools physically to be a LT but they may never be realized if he doesn't become better from the neck up. That isn't a knock on his intelligence...He just has some things to get better at to slow things down. If & When it happens is the question.

Legend

User Info Menu

Velasco is playing good football but he isn't Pouncey. Velasco was playing good football with the Titans & he was on the street after his release. Most C's in the league are there because of limitations. When a "Pouncey" comes along... You try & hold on to them. Those "Velasco" types of Cs always become expendable after the draft. Velasco knows that story. Just ask him who Brian Schwenke is. As far as a contract, Every player in this league doesn't look for the biggest paycheck. Velasco may have found a home here & he would be happy with his role. He will be a 29 year old C. Do you think someone out there will pay him 3-4 mil a yr to be a starter? You can get a 22 year old in the 3rd or 4th round for 4 yr / 3 mil.
    JPN--that 22 year old doesn't have experience and you never know whether he can make it. Velasco gives you both.

Not as sold on Pouncey as you clearly are. He is good and a solid Center but I don't think he is worth what he is likely going to be asking for especially given he is missing multiple games every year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I totally agree that Pouncey is overrated. I've said this since he came out from Florida where I watched tons of his game. To his credit he has been solid as a Pro player but no way do I think he is Top 5 in the NFL.

I think they have to sign Velasco as a precaution to Pouncey going Mike Wallace on us and having ridiculous contract demands he isn't worth.
    I do not think the Steelers should break the bank on Pouncey. I don't think he is worth the 7 yr / $50 mil Mangold got right now with his injury. The Steelers may want to see a full productive '14 before the do anything. Problem there is OL franchise numbers is a collective group of positions so the Steelers don't have anything to retain him without a 9-10 mil tag. They could gamble & try to get him at a lower price by extending him before '14. I'm sure they will talk with him & his agent in the offseason. If his price is too high they will let him start '14 on his final year. Might be in the best interest of the Steelers at that point if they think he is unsignable to trade him to the Dolphins in '14. That is why retaining Velasco may be a good idea.