Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lame R Woodley out

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    no, no... you are right. I forgot, someone has to get bashedd after a win every week..

might as well be Woodley this time around.
    Reality isn't bashing... remember perception is reality. It would certainly seem that Woirlds is playing above Woodley. Woodley has been mostly an invisible man the past coupled of seasons. He has had his moments but it sure seems like Woirlds is the more active and athletic of the two... What has Woodley done to deserve to start over Woirlds and collect the big fat paychecks he's receiving? Please enlighten us... The D has looked pretty good at getting after the QB without Woodley... After an 0-4 start I'm all for shuffling up this roster and getting rid of status quo.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They can retain Worilds...The need to. Woodley was playing good football before he got injured.

You can never have too many pass rushers. This would be my plan. The best scenario for the Steelers would be to lock up Worilds. You can structure the contract where year 1 isn't that big. The Steelers may get him for half of Woodley avg. In '14 both are here. Releasing-Trading Woodley in the new league year of '14 cost the Steelers money...No savings. So trading him & getting something in return would be the only way you move him in '14. Woodley, Worilds, & Jones are all here for '14. In the beginning of '15....Woodley "SHOULD" be expendable with Jones playing like the Steelers thought he could. Releasing -Trading Woodley in '15 has cap savings of 5.5 mil. Woodley will be 30. I feel 2015 is where this conversation needs to pick up again. I wouldn't consider discarding Woodley until Jones realizes him potential. The three on the roster...They are deep. Only two...They would have to start the process over again for depth.

No reason not to try & keep all three because the Steelers can get all 3 on the field at the same time. That package will get better & better as Jones develops. That could be something special.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Reality isn't bashing... remember perception is reality. It would certainly seem that Woirlds is playing above Woodley. Woodley has been mostly an invisible man the past coupled of seasons. He has had his moments but it sure seems like Woirlds is the more active and athletic of the two... What has Woodley done to deserve to start over Woirlds and collect the big fat paychecks he's receiving? Please enlighten us... The D has looked pretty good at getting after the QB without Woodley... After an 0-4 start I'm all for shuffling up this roster and getting rid of status quo.
    This happens all the time...

a high priced player goes down or out and his replacement plays well and everyone wants to move on to the new guy. I can't lie, I did the same thing with Gay a few years ago and once he was the starter he was exposed. Woodley was playing good ball before the injury and a few games by Worlids doesn't mean Woodley needs to be shipped out of town.

Not knocking Worlids but where was this the last 3 years? Maybe it's due to Jones getting a few starts, maybe he is more comfortable on this side or maybe it's because the Lions and Browns aren't who we thought they were.

I just think people need to slow down a little on anointing Worlids.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    They can retain Worilds...The need to. Woodley was playing good football before he got injured.

You can never have too many pass rushers. This would be my plan. The best scenario for the Steelers would be to lock up Worilds. You can structure the contract where year 1 isn't that big. The Steelers may get him for half of Woodley avg. In '14 both are here. Releasing-Trading Woodley in the new league year of '14 cost the Steelers money...No savings. So trading him & getting something in return would be the only way you move him in '14. Woodley, Worilds, & Jones are all here for '14. In the beginning of '15....Woodley "SHOULD" be expendable with Jones playing like the Steelers thought he could. Releasing -Trading Woodley in '15 has cap savings of 5.5 mil. Woodley will be 30. I feel 2015 is where this conversation needs to pick up again. I wouldn't consider discarding Woodley until Jones realizes him potential. The three on the roster...They are deep. Only two...They would have to start the process over again for depth.

No reason not to try & keep all three because the Steelers can get all 3 on the field at the same time. That package will get better & better as Jones develops. That could be something special.
    Yep.. if we trade Woodley next year and Worlids goes down then what? What if Jones isn't who we thought he was a needs the mandatory 3 to 4 years like Worlids?

Not sure why some feel the need to put our players on the first thing smoking because a player FINALLY showed a little something after 3 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Totally agree especially with the resigning Worilds. I think he has proven his numerous doubters wrong and has proven he is a key part of the vital part of our pass rush. Letting him go would be a major mistake.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This happens all the time...

a high priced player goes down or out and his replacement plays well and everyone wants to move on to the new guy. I can't lie, I did the same thing with Gay a few years ago and once he was the starter he was exposed. Woodley was playing good ball before the injury and a few games by Worlids doesn't mean Woodley needs to be shipped out of town.

Not knocking Worlids but where was this the last 3 years? Maybe it's due to Jones getting a few starts, maybe he is more comfortable on this side or maybe it's because the Lions and Browns aren't who we thought they were.

I just think people need to slow down a little on anointing Worlids.

I agree with everything you wrote. But can they deal with Woodley's salary? They've been doing a pretty good job wrangling the salary cap so far. Yes it will remain to be seen if Woirlds is the real deal. It seems he is much more comfortable on the left side. With Woirlds there and Heyward coming on like a beast this D seems all of a sudden more dynamic up front.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I agree with everything you wrote. But can they deal with Woodley's salary? They've been doing a pretty good job wrangling the salary cap so far. Yes it will remain to be seen if Woirlds is the real deal. It seems he is much more comfortable on the left side. With Woirlds there and Heyward coming on like a beast this D seems all of a sudden more dynamic up front.
    They can deal with Woodley & Worilds new salary in '14. They really have no choice but to deal with Woodley's. To your last sentence...Young guys mature faster on the field. We are all seeing it as the weeks go by. The Steelers seem to have "Weathered" the growing pains early of the D turnover...Lets keep it up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

By the way...Did anyone else see Garvin on the field yesterday? Interesting.

Legend

User Info Menu

They can deal with Woodley & Worilds new salary in '14. They really have no choice but to deal with Woodley's. To your last sentence...Young guys mature faster on the field. We are all seeing it as the weeks go by. The Steelers seem to have "Weathered" the growing pains early of the D turnover...Lets keep it up.
    JPN, if they trade Woodley, doesn't that have the same impact on the cap as if he is released? I thought that the dead money in the form of a prorated bonuses hits the cap the same either way.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    JPN, if they trade Woodley, doesn't that have the same impact on the cap as if he is released? I thought that the dead money in the form of a prorated bonuses hits the cap the same either way.
    Trading & releasing the same. I said trade in '14 if they get good compensation. For example..If someone wants to give the Steelers a 2nd for Woodley. Steelers still will be in the negative on the trade. To another team you get Woodley for 3 years at 8 mil, 8.5 mil, & 9 mil. I would make sure JJ is who they thought he is before I move Woodley.