Thread: Haley impressed with Browns defense

Legend

User Info Menu

Haley impressed with Browns defense

The Cleveland Browns defense is apparently as impressive on film as it is on paper.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said he thinks Phil Taylor and Ahtyba Rubin are even better than the Detroit Lions' defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley.

The Pittsburgh Steelers couldn’t run on Suh and Fairley last Sunday as they mustered just 40 rushing yards in a 37-27 win over the Lions.

Next up for the Steelers are the Browns, who are yielding just 98.5 rushing yards per game and are fifth in the NFL in total offense. The Browns are one of three teams this season that have not allowed a 300-yard passer or 100-yard rusher in a game.

“I thought Detroit was real good but I think this team’s better,” Haley said on Thursday. “The front seven in general, I think, is probably the best front seven we’ve seen. We’ve got our work cut out for us because as we move into late November and December you’ve got to be able to run the ball effectively when they know you’re running it.”

Weather could be an issue in Cleveland as snow has been forecast for late Saturday night and early Sunday morning. Snow and that wind that always seems to swirl off nearby Lake Erie could limit how much the Steelers throw the ball -- and run the no-huddle offense that worked so well against the Lions.

The Lions held Le'Veon Bell to 36 yards last Sunday, and the rookie running back is averaging just 3.1 yards per carry. Haley said he is pleased with the progress Bell has made, citing his contributions in the passing game as well as some timely runs the former Michigan State star has made.

Haley said the Steelers need more big plays to improve a rushing attack that averages 76.5 yards per game.

“I want to see one of those breakout runs here pretty quick,” Haley said. “We’ve had to work for every yard but I do feel like we’re making progress even with some of the moving parts and different people we’ve had to plug in. What we need is a few of breakout runs. We’re going to keep working, keep working technique and I think it will happen and hopefully it’s happening at the right time.”

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/76440/todd-haley-impressed-with-browns-defense[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I do feel like we’re making progress even with some of the moving parts and different people we’ve had to plug in. What we need is a few of breakout runs. We’re going to keep working, keep working technique and I think it will happen and hopefully it’s happening at the right time.”
    Last time he said we were making progress, we actually did. Hope he's right again!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

So Todd, make sure you run the single back set with 2 TE's and no FB so Bell can get hit in the backfield.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Last time he said we were making progress, we actually did. Hope he's right again!!!!
    And last time he said we were making progress, we did something aggressive and creative. Hope we do again !

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    And last time he said we were making progress, we did something aggressive and creative. Hope we do again !
    Yes. Need more no huddle this weekend so the Browns can't substitute for their big guys and we can wear them down.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"