Thread: Matt Spaeth Practiced Today, Expected to Be Activated Soon

Legend

User Info Menu

Matt Spaeth Practiced Today, Expected to Be Activated Soon

Earlier in the week it was reported by multiple sources that tight end Matt Spaeth could potentially return to the field for the Pittsburgh Steelers this fall. Now it looks like Spaeth will be activated at some point during the next three weeks according to Scott Brown of ESPN.com:

Scott Brown @ScottBrown_ESPN
    TE Matt Spaeth returned to practice today and expects to get activated from short-term IR within next three weeks.
    3:31 PM - 21 Nov 2013

Spaeth practiced on a limited basis and said it will be important to see how his foot responds tomorrow.
    3:32 PM - 21 Nov 2013

Spaeth: “I did a little individual stuff and some team stuff. Didn’t do a lot but did a little bit of everything. It felt good to be back.”
    3:32 PM - 21 Nov 2013

The return of Spaeth, who was placed on the injured-reserve-designated to return list by the team after he sustained a Liscfranc (foot) injury during training camp, would be a welcome sight for the Steelers’ offense. Behind Heath Miller, Pittsburgh has little in terms of experienced depth at the tight end position.

David Paulson has been ineffective to say the least, and the Steelers could stand to add a blocking tight end like Spaeth to the mix to help their anemic running game (30th overall, rushing yards per game).

Due to NFL rules, Pittsburgh will have three weeks to decide whether or not to add the veteran to their 53-man roster, send him to injured-reserve for the rest of the season, or release him. With the lack of experienced depth at the position though, one has to believe that the team will activate the former Minnesota Golden Gopher the second he is healthy enough to play.

[url]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/11/21/matt-spaeth-practiced-today-expects-activated-soon/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

This could be a huge boost to the offense if he's healthy. I still prefer the 3 WR sets and think they give us the best potential for success.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This could be a huge boost to the offense if he's healthy. I still prefer the 3 WR sets and think they give us the best potential for success.
    I agree with you flippy on preferring a 3 WR set. The article states Spaeth could help boost the run game, but he never has been more then completely average as a blocking TE. Not sure what they are talking about....
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I agree with you flippy on preferring a 3 WR set. The article states Spaeth could help boost the run game, but he never has been more then completely average as a blocking TE. Not sure what they are talking about....
    I think people have said he became a good blocker for Chicago. I have no idea? I don't remember him being a very good blocker last time he was with us.

Legend

User Info Menu

If this gets Haley's love child Paulson off the field i'll take it as a big hoooray!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He was a pretty good blocker when he was here before IMO. Fans were just upset that was all that he brought to the table and had an all-pro in Heath Miller to compare to - NOT!

Backup

User Info Menu

Guess the Key word here is "could." With the running game as bad as it is anything "could" help

Legend

User Info Menu

Word to the streets is Spaeth has become a pretty good blocker. I know...I'm surprised as well. Never thought I would be so excited to see Spaeth playing again.
    Trolls are people too.