Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerricho Cotchery vs. Mike Wallace

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    maybe teams will learn a lesson from the money the Dolphins wasted on Wallace.
    Nah, they'll jack up ticket/concession prices and pass their mistakes onto the fans.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Cotchery has never had a QB as good as Ben throwing him the ball at anytime in his career. Unlike Wallace, Cotchery's hands and his WR skillset have never been an issue. Cotchery has always been an "A" to "A+" route runner and having a great QB is really paying off. Hopefully Cotchery doesn't price himself out of the Steelers market but maybe teams will learn a lesson from the money the Dolphins wasted on Wallace.
    I think a player like Cotchery will take a discount to stay with Ben. Who knows though.. depends on his cash situation. If he needs one more payday then he will bounce and I can't blame him but if he is more concerned with having a rich history he will stay in Pittsburgh.

Bad teams will always throw money at a player with stats.... Miami tried to buy a SB and that rarely works. Wallace is a tricky situation though because those highlights are flashy. Good GM's probably saw holes in his game but there is always that one GM who thinks they have it all figured out and believes his awesome QB can get the ball to Wallace just like Ben.

I forget who pointed it out but someone brought up the point that most of Wallace's catches were double catches and he rarely caught the ball cleanly. That opened the door for more of us to critique his game and we realized he was fast but sloppy in routes and sketchy in traffic.

Wallace can definitely turn it around but it reminds me of FWP. Dude was scary fast but his vision and cuts were atrocious. Without great blocking FWP was pretty bad... I loved his heart but his eyes were disgusting.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd still try to keep Sanders for a reasonable contract. I think ultimately he's a better WR in the slot. And his blocking shouldn't be overlooked. Brown doesn't score his 2nd TD w/o Sander's blocking down field vs the Lions. But I suspect someone will overpay him.

Hopefully Wheaton/Moye can develop on the outside long term. But I suspect that could take some time.

I'd like to see Brown get more quick slants in stride that he can run with. He's so explosive off the LOS and I don't think we've started using him to his potential yet.

And I see Cotch as a guy that can be our go to guy a la Ward in the RZ. I see him running routes along the end line and being effective finding an opening. I think he becomes more valuable as Heath gets healthier and if Moye ever develops on the outside.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Wallace's decreased numbers and Cotchery's increased numbers are all the direct result of the quarterback with whom each player is playing.
    It's also a direct result of the type of WR you're dealing with and what type of plays are being called (For a change, this isn't a knock on Haley - it's just the facts). Wallace needs both a QB with a strong arm AND an agressive OC like Bruce Arians because his best gift is speed and tracking the deep ball. BA was more than willing to take advantage of that.

Haley's assignment upon arrival was to keep Ben upright... so, he called for more quick-hitters, which were not really MW's thing.

Cotch is a superior possession WR to Wallace and will make more impressive 5-15 yard catches than MW...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think a player like Cotchery will take a discount to stay with Ben. Who knows though.. depends on his cash situation. If he needs one more payday then he will bounce and I can't blame him but if he is more concerned with having a rich history he will stay in Pittsburgh.

Bad teams will always throw money at a player with stats.... Miami tried to buy a SB and that rarely works. Wallace is a tricky situation though because those highlights are flashy. Good GM's probably saw holes in his game but there is always that one GM who thinks they have it all figured out and believes his awesome QB can get the ball to Wallace just like Ben.

I forget who pointed it out but someone brought up the point that most of Wallace's catches were double catches and he rarely caught the ball cleanly. That opened the door for more of us to critique his game and we realized he was fast but sloppy in routes and sketchy in traffic.

Wallace can definitely turn it around but it reminds me of FWP. Dude was scary fast but his vision and cuts were atrocious. Without great blocking FWP was pretty bad... I loved his heart but his eyes were disgusting.
    Wallace reminds me alot of a former Buckeye Teddy Ginn Jr. Always using his speed rather than good route running and technique.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    Kick em in the Cotch!!!!
    That! .............
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Starter

User Info Menu

I could easily see us letting Sanders walk in the offseason while bringing back Cotchery on a reasonably short-term deal to go with Brown, Wheaton, Moye, and likely a rookie draft pick.

Or maybe Justin Brown off the practice squad. Could Cotch be considered for team MVP?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Wallace reminds me alot of a former Buckeye Teddy Ginn Jr. Always using his speed rather than good route running and technique.
    Yep... I get to see Ginn a lot in Carolina. He's fast but his hands are suspect and his routes are sloppy. Still a weapon but you never know what will happen once the ball is in the air.

Legend

User Info Menu

There is no stat for this, and I haven't watched enough Miami to know exactly, but the biggest difference...

How many times has either given up on a ball that was not thrown perfectly? I'll bet you that is the one category where Wallace's number is significantly higher.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I can't help but feel a little glee watching Wallace become a relative bust in Miami. Great call by the Steelers letting "flipper" go.