Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Jerricho Cotchery vs. Mike Wallace

  1. #1
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,912

    Jerricho Cotchery vs. Mike Wallace

    Perhaps I should wait a couple of weeks until the Dolphins visit Heinz to make this comparison, but Cotchery's unexpected recent TD production has certainly caused many of us to stand up and take notice.

    Coming in to this season, I wondered aloud where the passing game TD production would come from, since Wallace was in Miami, Heath was starting out the year on the shelf, and Brown/Sanders/Cotchery, while solid between the 20's, weren't exactly dynamos in the red zone.

    Jerricho had no TD's all of last season, and now he has 5 TD's in the last 3 games; his 7 TD catches this season are more TD catches than any other in his career, even though he was a full time starter for the Jets for 4 seasons (including a couple of 82 catch seasons and a 1130 yard season back in Jersey) and has only started 2 games for us this season.

    This year, Jerricho Cotchery has 34 catches for 503 yards and 7 TD's through 10 games.

    This year, Mike Wallace has 44 catches for 534 yards and 1 TD through 10 games.

    Cotchery is in the final season of a 2 year, $3 million contract that a $1 million signing bonus, while Wallace is in the first season of a 5 year, $60 million contact with $30 guaranteed, and that has gotten the Dolphins 10 more catches for 31 more yards and SIX FEWER TOUCHDOWNS. So much for the big play scoring weapon. Cotchery is actually averaging more than two-and-a-half more yards per catch this season than Wallace (14.79 vs. 12.14).

    Many will explain this disparity away by saying that it is much different catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger as opposed to Ryan Tannehill. Good point, but let's look at what Cotchery has done in the 10 games this season with Ben, vs. what Wallace did in the first 10 games with Ben last season.

    This year, Jerricho Cotchery has 34 catches for 503 yards and 7 TD's through 10 games.

    Last year, Mike Wallace had 42 catches for 539 yards and 6 TD through 10 games.

    Comparing Wallace's first 10 games with Ben last year and his first 10 games with Tannehil this year, the catches and yards are nearly identical (only a 2 catch, 5 yard difference), but Wallace was certainly finding the end zone more with Ben throwing him the ball.

    Wallace's first 10 games last year compared to Cotchery's first 10 games this year show us that Mike had 8 more catches for 36 more yards and 1 fewer TD than Jerricho (and Jerricho only has started 2 of 10 games this year while Mike started all 10). Cotchery once again has the better yards per catch than big play Wallace, this time by nearly 2 yards per catch (14.79 vs. 12.83).

    Cotchery's going to be due a moderate pay raise (he isn't breaking the bank at age 31, though), but he seems to be outperforming the much more hyped Manny Sanders as well (who has 42 catches for 509 yards and 2 TD's with a 12.12 YPC avg in 6 of 10 starts). I could easily see us letting Sanders walk in the offseason while bringing back Cotchery on a reasonably short-term deal to go with Brown, Wheaton, Moye, and likely a rookie draft pick.

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,274
    So what you're saying here is Cotchery is much, much faster than Wallace...

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,357
    I think the QB plays a big role in the production but we all knew Wallace was one dimensional. I always thought Cotch was older but I think it's because he's always been a savvy possession type WR.

    Wallace is stealing money in Miami... he is nothing more than a high priced decoy.

  4. #4
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,304
    Wallace's decreased numbers and Cotchery's increased numbers are all the direct result of the quarterback with whom each player is playing. Last year Cotchery was Ben's third or even fourth option and Wallace was his first. This year Cotchery is clearly the second option and while Wallace is still the first option in Miami his quarterback is not Ben Roethlisberger, it's a guy who will be a mediocre starter or very good backup quarterback until he retires and Brown and Cotchery are playing with a HOF quarterback. It's the reason for the drop in production for Wallace and the increase for Cotchery.

    Receivers don't make the quarterback, the quarterback makes the receiver, with a few rare exceptions, Calvin Johnson, possibly AJ Green and possibly Andre Johnson, that's about it folks, the rest of the WRs see inflated numbers because of the guy throwing the ball to them.

    Had Wallace gone to the Patriots, Saints, Broncos, etc or any team with a top 10 quarterback his numbers would be similar to what he had last year with Ben. At some point, Steeler fans will begin to realize just how darn good Ben really is regardless of his style of play.

    Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 11-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,074
    But, but Brown was only good because Wallace stretched the defense....
    I also agree on Cotch over Sanders.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    But, but Brown was only good because Wallace stretched the defense....
    I also agree on Cotch over Sanders.
    The only reason Cotchery is doing well is because Brown is demanding so much attention...all that extra attention is really killing Brown statistically, too...

  7. #7
    Backup AzStillers1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester, MA, United States
    Posts
    498
    Kick em in the Cotch!!!!

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,357
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Wallace's decreased numbers and Cotchery's increased numbers are all the direct result of the quarterback with whom each player is playing. Last year Cotchery was Ben's third or even fourth option and Wallace was his first. This year Cotchery is clearly the second option and while Wallace is still the first option in Miami his quarterback is not Ben Roethlisberger, it's a guy who will be a mediocre starter or very good backup quarterback until he retires and Brown and Cotchery are playing with a HOF quarterback. It's the reason for the drop in production for Wallace and the increase for Cotchery.

    Receivers don't make the quarterback, the quarterback makes the receiver, with a few rare exceptions, Calvin Johnson, possibly AJ Green and possibly Andre Johnson, that's about it folks, the rest of the WRs see inflated numbers because of the guy throwing the ball to them.

    Had Wallace gone to the Patriots, Saints, Broncos, etc or any team with a top 10 quarterback his numbers would be similar to what he had last year with Ben. At some point, Steeler fans will begin to realize just how darn good Ben really is regardless of his style of play.

    Pappy
    I watched a few Miami games though and Wallace is dropping passes left and right. Fans are starting to call him butterfingers.

    Wallace is being paid to make the QB better IMO.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,730
    Cotchery has never had a QB as good as Ben throwing him the ball at anytime in his career. Unlike Wallace, Cotchery's hands and his WR skillset have never been an issue. Cotchery has always been an "A" to "A+" route runner and having a great QB is really paying off. Hopefully Cotchery doesn't price himself out of the Steelers market but maybe teams will learn a lesson from the money the Dolphins wasted on Wallace.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,730
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I watched a few Miami games though and Wallace is dropping passes left and right. Fans are starting to call him butterfingers.

    Wallace is being paid to make the QB better IMO.
    Last week, NFL Network had a whole segment of Wallace's drops in Miami and how he may be the biggest FA bust of the past off season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •