Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Love the win but it's not going to help get us a superbowl....unless

Backup

User Info Menu

Love the win but it's not going to help get us a superbowl....unless

We let Ben take credit for calling and executing the game in bad weather and trade him for 3 first rounders in the off season. This team is still flawed and needs significant retooling on both sides of the ball. We are no where near a SB contending team. We need to beat Denver, KC, and NE. We would be killed by those teams 9 of 10 times.

As Steelers fans our standard is clear every year....SB or nothing.

We are well below a SB team so therefore we are nothing.

Starter

User Info Menu

Have you looked at the standings lately? We may not be a Super Bowl contender but we are right in the mix for the playoffs. The Jets currently hold the final wildcard spot at at 5-5. We are 4-6 with a win over the Jets. 9-7 gets you in this year. If we play the way we did today 9-7 is a real possibility.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBioSteel View Post
    We let Ben take credit for calling and executing the game in bad weather and trade him for 3 first rounders in the off season. This team is still flawed and needs significant retooling on both sides of the ball. We are no where near a SB contending team. We need to beat Denver, KC, and NE. We would be killed by those teams 9 of 10 times.

As Steelers fans our standard is clear every year....SB or nothing.

We are well below a SB team so therefore we are nothing.
    We weren't SB contenders when we squeaked into the playoffs as the 2nd Wildcard a few years back. Until we were!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Have you looked at the standings lately? We may not be a Super Bowl contender but we are right in the mix for the playoffs. The Jets currently hold the final wildcard spot at at 5-5. We are 4-6 with a win over the Jets. 9-7 gets you in this year. If we play the way we did today 9-7 is a real possibility.
    What does getting into the playoffs mean? A trip to KC, DEN, or NE? This team would get killed in each of those venues 9 of 10 times. 1 and done. Squeeking into the playoffss is not our measure of success.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    We weren't SB contenders when we squeaked into the playoffs as the 2nd Wildcard a few years back. Until we were!
    We can't count on the stars aligning like 2005 again. Yes, it could happen but that would be like lightning striking twice.

Backup

User Info Menu

That team was actually built and coached to be able to overcome the odds that they did,...this one is not.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Even if we were to squeeze past the more SB complete teams like KC and DEN... we would be sacrificial lambs to NFC juggernauts like Seattle and New Orleans. I loved our win yesterday, but this team is flawed in many areas and if we did get the hot hand these last few weeks of the season, I concur with the fact that its a SB win or nothing... I think getting wins this season pushes us back to the middle of the pecking order in next year's draft.

But like any Steeler team, these guys will not lay down. Yesterday showed that there's still some fight left in this old dog.... but instead of maybe picking 5-10... we'll be picking our usual 13-20. I know that this might sound like heresy to some, but our record is reflective of a rebuilding year and we need to embrace that if we are to plug the many holes that this team needs to contend again.

Starter

User Info Menu

Does anyone remember 97? That team finished 9-7 and almost made it to the Super Bowl. That team was better than the 13 Steelers for sure. But, the defense struggled mightily and our offense was erratic under young Kordell. There are some similarities there. When that team got to the playoffs they turned it on and played good defense. I believe this team can as well. Dont be so quick to throw away this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Once you get to the tournament...Throw the records out. It isn't how you start it is how you finish. That being said, the Steelers haven't done anything yet. They haven't shown any consistency yet to say they are anything but a team getting better. It's cliché but it is one game at a time. They don't control their own destiny. I said at the 0-4 point they couldn't lose another division game and they could only drop 2 without both being AFC teams. Well they dropped 2 to AFC teams. They have no margin for error. You always want to be at .66 or better in your conference to stay alive in wildcard. Steelers have to go 6-0 down the stretch with the Bengals going 3-2 (loss to Steelers) to win division. For the Steelers to have any shot at a wildcard imo their only loss the rest of the way could be against the Packers. Crucial game this week against the Browns to ensure at least a split with them in division standings if there could be a "back door" into the wild card. If they can't win the division they have to finish second to be the 1st team up in the wild card qualifier against the other 6 teams outside the division. You might as well say there are 5 playoff spots filled already...Only one left.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I tell ya, there are so many pansies on this board.... All they care about is the freaking NFL draft.....Which is alwas a crap shoot. I witnessed a TEAM out there yesterday that is fighting hard as hell to make it to the playoffs where everyone starts off at 0-0. If you don't want to root for THIS team, then get out and wait for the damned draft in April.. Sick of it... Trade Ben, release Troy.... bla bla..... enjoy the 2013 season, folks and stop being so damne negative.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion