Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If we get to the SB, will Bell hands be our ticket - is he the key to no the huddle?

Legend

User Info Menu

If we get to the SB, will Bell hands be our ticket - is he the key to no the huddle?

Hopefully we're gonna ride the "Ben Gun" no huddle until somebody shows they've got an answer. And hopefully Haley will have a pivot to Plan B ready to go when they do. But in the meantime, it seems the perpetual no huddle gets the defense tired out before it does our offense, with the result that the last quarter is a downhill fun ride for our offense. I love it!

But I think that it's Bell's great hands that makes us so dangerous. It's like having an extra player on the field. If we can keep their defense from substituting, all Ben/Haley have to do is see what personnel are lined up across from them, and call plays for Bell accordingly. Do they have their run blocking package on the field? Send Bell out for a swing pass, heck, even for a pass across the middle. Or instead, do they have an extra DB on the field? Bell will get 4-5 yards probably.

He's just so versatile, that it's unlikely that the any single defensive personnel grouping pinned to the field by the Ben Gun can defend against all the options available to us.

And he's just a rookie!

Just my 2c, anyway.

Here we go, Steelers!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the no huddle works because of 11 personnel and the lack of defensive substitutions.

While I like Bell in the passing game, I still think Dwyer might be more effective even in the no huddle packages because of his protection. I noticed during the last TD drive, we brought Dwyer in for a few plays and Ben's passes became more consistently accurate because Dwyer was picking up the free blitzer and it gave Ben a little more time and piece of mind.

I've noticed a couple errant throws in spots where Bell doesn't pick up the free rusher cleanly.

And Bell's 36 yards on 18 carries doesn't cut it. As bad as the line is, he needs to get more than 2 YPC for us to be successful and set up an effective PA. And I think Bell needs to at least show a couple runs outside of the tackles to open things up for the running game.

Bell does some nice things, but he's got a long way to go before he's the key to the no huddle.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I noticed after that 43 yd reception by Bell that he lined up as the inside WR on the left side. It was nice to see him stay in the game and not call for a breather which is a good thing when running the no-huddle.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think the no huddle works because of 11 personnel and the lack of defensive substitutions.

While I like Bell in the passing game, I still think Dwyer might be more effective even in the no huddle packages because of his protection. I noticed during the last TD drive, we brought Dwyer in for a few plays and Ben's passes became more consistently accurate because Dwyer was picking up the free blitzer and it gave Ben a little more time and piece of mind.

I've noticed a couple errant throws in spots where Bell doesn't pick up the free rusher cleanly.

And Bell's 36 yards on 18 carries doesn't cut it. As bad as the line is, he needs to get more than 2 YPC for us to be successful and set up an effective PA. And I think Bell needs to at least show a couple runs outside of the tackles to open things up for the running game.

Bell does some nice things, but he's got a long way to go before he's the key to the no huddle.
    I'm going on record as saying we took a RB a year too early or the wrong RB this year. I hope Bell proves me wrong about Bell, but what others see as "patience" I see as tentative and indecisive. Now, with a RB like Carlos Hyde from tOSU, who runs hard, picks up blitzes and makes catches out of the backfield, Ben would have a weapon at RB. So far, I'm just not impressed with Bell as the "Bell Cow" that some of you have built him up to be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice, thanks Pap and Thor.

How are Dwyer's hands and conditioning? Though I guess protecting Ben is top priority in any case ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Nice, thanks Pap and Thor.

How are Dwyer's hands and conditioning? Though I guess protecting Ben is top priority in any case ...
    Dwyers hands a re a little suspect and his conditioning is suspect as well. He works well as a back up but he failed miserably when he had a chance to win the job.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I'm going on record as saying we took a RB a year too early or the wrong RB this year. I hope Bell proves me wrong about Bell, but what others see as "patience" I see as tentative and indecisive. Now, with a RB like Carlos Hyde from tOSU, who runs hard, picks up blitzes and makes catches out of the backfield, Ben would have a weapon at RB. So far, I'm just not impressed with Bell as the "Bell Cow" that some of you have built him up to be.
    I'm in a wait and see pattern with Bell. I'm definitely on the side of not being impressed yet. But there are some things I like. Bell has some quick feet and athleticism for a big back. But I'm not sure he's ever going to be a key cog to making the offense work. Just another piece of the puzzle.

I wouldn't call him tentative or indecisive. He does hit the hole hard and quick when he makes a decision, but he needs some better blocking and an effective TE and big outside WR to open up things for him in the running game.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Dwyers hands a re a little suspect and his conditioning is suspect as well. He works well as a back up but he failed miserably when he had a chance to win the job.
    Felt, Bell's rushing numbers, as the "undisputed #1" project out to 603 yards rushing at a 3.3 per rush avg. "THIS" is the savior of the Steelers run game? Because as it is, his numbers project to about the same as what Dwyer gave us last year as the #3 guy behind Redman and Mendenhall .... I'm "NOT" saying Dwyer's the guy ... I am saying that so far, neither is Bell ... and for all those that say "it's the OLine", the OLine was crappy last year too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm in a wait and see pattern with Bell. I'm definitely on the side of not being impressed yet. But there are some things I like. Bell has some quick feet and athleticism for a big back. But I'm not sure he's ever going to be a key cog to making the offense work. Just another piece of the puzzle.

I wouldn't call him tentative or indecisive. He does hit the hole hard and quick when he makes a decision, but he needs some better blocking and an effective TE and big outside WR to open up things for him in the running game.
    I understand where you're coming from ... but, if a guy needs all that in order to succeed, he's not the guy that we've been hearing about and waiting to see. Heck, with all that, he wouldn't get many touches anyway because Ben would be hitting that big WR and effective TE on pass plays ...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Felt, Bell's rushing numbers, as the "undisputed #1" project out to 603 yards rushing at a 3.3 per rush avg. "THIS" is the savior of the Steelers run game? Because as it is, his numbers project to about the same as what Dwyer gave us last year as the #3 guy behind Redman and Mendenhall .... I'm "NOT" saying Dwyer's the guy ... I am saying that so far, neither is Bell ... and for all those that say "it's the OLine", the OLine was crappy last year too.
    Just as its tough for Ben to get off passes when he's getting hit 2 seconds after the ball is snapped, so too it goes for the RBs. I don't know if any RB would put up good numbers with this run blocking. Which is disappointing because I was hoping Bicknell would provide some upgrade, but I haven't seen much improvement from the previous years in the run blocking game.