Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike's hands

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    That's crazy talk. Dropping an int is still a pass defensed.
    That's what I'm saying. It goes in the books as simply a pass defensed--a positive point for Taylor. But that WAS NOT a positive play. Not only was it not a positive play, it was a fundamental breakdown that is much MUCH worse.

It would be like a "good" QB, who consistently misses COMPLETELY WIDE-OPEN WRs down the field. Or a "good" Kicker, who misses 5 CHIP SHOTS every year. They go down as simple incompletions or missed FGs, but it is MUCH MORE than just that.

That pass couldn't have been thrown any better to him!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is it the best outcome? No. Is it the worst outcome? No. I think it's still more good than bad.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    That's what I'm saying. It goes in the books as simply a pass defensed--a positive point for Taylor. But that WAS NOT a positive play. Not only was it not a positive play, it was a fundamental breakdown that is much MUCH worse.

It would be like a "good" QB, who consistently misses COMPLETELY WIDE-OPEN WRs down the field. Or a "good" Kicker, who misses 5 CHIP SHOTS every year. They go down as simple incompletions or missed FGs, but it is MUCH MORE than just that.

That pass couldn't have been thrown any better to him!
    So the 23 passes defended were BAD points for Lewis last year then? The very reason everyone here said he was good and should have been signed? You might be on the page with the QB thing. But missing FG's to me is a way bigger deal that is direct points. A defended pass is a good stat to have I think. Of course INT's are better. Ike has been a very good corner for years. But has his problems. Not worth his pay next season. Just like Harrison last year I think.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike's inability to catch an INT right in his hands and chest is inexcusable. Catching the ball for a turnover is part of the job description. His dropping of interceptions that could be game changing plays are a f*cking disgrace and I don't understand how an NFL CB is that incompetent. It's not funny, its pathetic.

Backup

User Info Menu

Did we win today? Because even if we did, and during the losses, Ike Taylor is the least of our worries. Better look to Ian Rappaport's "inside source", Mr. Clark and his SERIOUS mental lapses in deep coverage if you're looking for a goat in a win

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    So the 23 passes defended were BAD points for Lewis last year then?
    No, I made the distinction between the two passes Ike dropped today. That 2nd one he dropped, while catchable, is a Pass Defensed in my book. That 1st one could not have been thrown better, if he was the WR himself!

Remember a few years back, a kid named Joe Burnett. We were playing OAK, and OAKs QB (Gradkowski I think), floated a perfect pass TO BURNETT. The kid dropped it.

That went into the books as a pass defensed. But in reality, that INT (I believe) led directly to a game-winning TD. Instead of saving the game (in that case, but at least giving his team another possession), he lost it. Those are freebies. You and I both know, that NFL games ALWAYS seem to turn on just one play. That is the margin of error in this league. Five free opportunities to turn a game around in a season, mean A LOT.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You know what's funny... After his second INT drop, I said to my wife that he could be considered one the best in the game if only he could catch... Her suggestion was that he should practice catching.. I just laughed cause I was thinking you can't just practice how to catch... You either have IT or you don't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Worst hands in the history of the NFL. I have never seen a DB in perfect position drop so many INT's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    That's crazy talk. Dropping an int is still a pass defensed.
    Agreed. I would take Ike Taylor over 90% of the CBs in the league.

Why? Because he can defend against 95% of the WRs in the league without getting help, and that's worth something to a defense.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 11-17-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, he drops most of the balls he touches, but at his age he is still one of the best cover corners in the league, including this year. Those drops hurt, but most NFL corners are not in the position to make those interceptions. However, he did have a horrible 2nd Q, but it was Megatron.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S