Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do we still think Haley is the problem?

Hall of Famer
    You do realize this no-huddle was 6-16 on 3rd downs? A couple of incompletes on a series and you will see how quickly the tide can turn, giving the ball right back to the other team. While it worked yesterday, the results may be quite different against a quality defense like the Browns. I'm not against the no-huddle but teams in the NFL have a way to quickly adjust and the lack of a run game is going to haunt this team badly as the weather gets worse.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You do realize this no-huddle was 6-16 on 3rd downs? A couple of incompletes on a series and you will see how quickly the tide can turn, giving the ball right back to the other team. While it worked yesterday, the results may be quite different against a quality defense like the Browns. I'm not against the no-huddle but teams in the NFL have a way to quickly adjust and the lack of a run game is going to haunt this team badly as the weather gets worse.
    The weather was already pretty bad. I think bad weather is an advantage for us with Ben.

Didn't read the whole thread, but, this has likely been posted

Roethlisberger said Tomlin “came right up to me on the sideline and said, 'When we get the ball back, I'm not sitting on it. You're staying in no-huddle. We're staying in this mode.' ... I have to give him a lot of credit for that.”
    i.e., I'm not putting this game in this moron's hands again. Furthermore, you guys do realize that interceptions CAN be a product of trying to make something happen on an sucky play.

Apart from all that, it's VERY simple to me.

There are a handful of QBs in the league that are capable of winning a super bowl with an "above average" team... Brees, the Mannings, Rodgers, maybe one or two more in addition to ours.... Why wouldn't the organization take advantage of that while the guy is in (or near) his prime? If Peyton or Brady didn't like their OC, the OC would be fired, NOT given a second season. OC's are a dime a dozen... Franchise QBs are not. It's that simple. Anything else is a wasted discussion.

Whether it was under Arians or the offense' s current inept banner of Haley, Ben and the no-huddle (IMHO) dialed up this team's chances of winning games. This plays to Ben's strengths and has been money in late game executions. I think this full throttle mentality is something that Tomlin would be foolish not to explore given the dire tempo of the season as reflected by our pathetic record.

But our inability to have a productive run game is forshadowing to more losses because historically being one dimensional will make it exceedingly easy to game plan against. I think our D's lack of turnovers will damn us if we were to earn a playoff spot. Looking at our w recent SB Championship runs, I think we were middle to back half of the league in terms of pass and run rankings.... the difference was our opportinistic defense.

If anybody wants to remember what our team looked like in 2005 and 2008 all they need and do is look at Kansas City.

Starter
    It's difficult to know exactly what's going on here. But we've seen and heard a few things that make you wonder:
    -Mike Tomlin wanted and expected Bruce Arians to return
    -ART said he was going to retire
    -ART tells Ben to tweak his game to stay healthy and reiterates he wants to run the ball more effectively
    -Todd Haley is hired, presumably to do what ART wants
    -First part of 2012, this plan seems to be headed in the right direction
    -Ben gets hurt anyway and we've been in decline ever since
    -Finally, Tomlin appears to inject himself last week and we put our foot on the gas offensively and play to our strengths in a signature win
    So, is Haley the problem? Or was ART's mandate to Haley the problem? Did Tomlin finaly ignore mandate and tell Haley and the offense what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It's difficult to know exactly what's going on here. But we've seen and heard a few things that make you wonder:
    -ART tells Ben to tweak his game to stay healthy and reiterates he wants to run the ball more effectively
    -Finally, Tomlin appears to inject himself last week and we put our foot on the gas offensively and play to our strengths in a signature win
    So, is Haley the problem? Or was ART's mandate to Haley the problem? Did Tomlin finaly ignore mandate and tell Haley and the offense what to do?
    The Steelers won...

Ben was sacked only once...AND passed for 4 TDs...

It would be hard for Art to argue with the results, if that was the case...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryAsian View Post
    Whether it was under Arians or the offense' s current inept banner of Haley, Ben and the no-huddle (IMHO) dialed up this team's chances of winning games. This plays to Ben's strengths and has been money in late game executions. I think this full throttle mentality is something that Tomlin would be foolish not to explore given the dire tempo of the season as reflected by our pathetic record.

But our inability to have a productive run game is forshadowing to more losses because historically being one dimensional will make it exceedingly easy to game plan against. I think our D's lack of turnovers will damn us if we were to earn a playoff spot. Looking at our w recent SB Championship runs, I think we were middle to back half of the league in terms of pass and run rankings.... the difference was our opportinistic defense.

If anybody wants to remember what our team looked like in 2005 and 2008 all they need and do is look at Kansas City.
    KC has yet to beat a team with a winning record...

We have struggled to get TO's early on this year but we had 3 last game.

I don't think the running game is a big concern right now. Short passes to Bell are the same as runs IMO and the more we pass the easier it will be to run.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    We also played a dome team in rainy/windy weather... I wouldn't read too far into 1 win.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers won...

Ben was sacked only once...AND passed for 4 TDs...

It would be hard for Art to argue with the results, if that was the case...
    You know, as blasphemous as it may be in Pittsburgh to ever disparage the name Rooney, I agree that this is a lot of the problem. It is also a reason that I'm not sure that we can blame Tomlin (or Haley) for some of the issues that have come up this season. Are the coaches in place to do their thing? Or are they simply expected to follow a mandate from above?

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    KC has yet to beat a team with a winning record...

We have struggled to get TO's early on this year but we had 3 last game.

I don't think the running game is a big concern right now. Short passes to Bell are the same as runs IMO and the more we pass the easier it will be to run.
    Brother if you think that being ranked 26th in the run department is a recipe for going deep in the playoffs... well lets say I agree to disagree. As for KC's competition this year, my comparison to our recent championship teams involved more Ben being a "game manager", our mediocre run and pass games and our opportunistic defense.