Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What exactly did we do differently on D in the 2nd half?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    We played Will Allen in place of Ryan Clark a lot more? I'm not sure if this happened, but it sure seemed like Will was back there in the second half putting in work that Clark "should have" in the first half. will have to go back and watch the game again to see if this is true
    I don't think Will Allen played, so much in place of Clark. It looked like we played a lot of 3 safety packages in the second half, where they had Clark playing the flats, Troy being Troy and Allen playing more center field. It seemed to eliminate the middle of the field stuff that killed us in the first half.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rockonsteel View Post
    I don't think Will Allen played, so much in place of Clark. It looked like we played a lot of 3 safety packages in the second half, where they had Clark playing the flats, Troy being Troy and Allen playing more center field. It seemed to eliminate the middle of the field stuff that killed us in the first half.
    Ok, I'll look for that ... in any event, Will Allen though! Glad we were able to bring him back. He played well with Troy out last year and he played well today ... that said, like most, I'll be calling for his head if he messes up

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bracketed Megatron...that simple.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Doublerenegade helped too.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Will Allen played some corner too in the 2nd half.. Glad we brought this guy back.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL, not even the pro sports writers can figure out what we did differently in the 2nd half!
    [URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/18/sports/football/week-11-nfl-quick-hits-paytons-faith-in-saints-defense.html?ref=sports&_r=0"]

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/18/sports/football/week-11-nfl-quick-hits-paytons-faith-in-saints-defense.html?ref=sports&_r=0[/URL]
    Steelers 37, Lions 27

Games like this are what football nerds live for. We can’t wait for Tuesday when the All-22 film comes out. We want to see every coverage adjustment Pittsburgh made in the second half. Maybe then this game will make sense. Right now, it doesn’t. Matthew Stafford was 6 of 10 for 179 yards and 2 touchdowns when targeting Calvin Johnson in the first half. Many of those completions were the product of great play designs that got Johnson matched one-on-one against Ike Taylor, who is as solid a veteran corner as you’ll find. The Lions in the second half moved Johnson all over in a variety of formations, just as they did in the first half. But Stafford targeted Johnson only three times. None of the three were caught, unless you count the deep interception by Will Allen. What changed??

Only we know!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Doublerenegade helped too.....

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

The defensive players are saying that the scheme did not change in the 2nd half. They just played better and did a better job of disguising what they were going to do pre-snap. Seems hard to believe they didn't change anything schematically.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Play better. Safeties were out of position in the 1st half. I saw Clark & Troy jump routes. That long one to Megatron had Clark jumping an underneath route from the far hash & leaving Taylor cold. Taylor has to make that tackle too. Give Statford credit for seeing it & throwing Megatron open across the field. That was a perfect example of what DL was saying about seeing it & being in the right place...They weren't doing it in the first half. That's something that sticks out all year with Ryan & Troy. They are making effort mistakes trying to create & they just don't have the range to make up for false steps. You want to know why people knew Allen was on the field? He didn't take chances and was in the right places. I will give credit to Ryan & Troy in the second half though. Tomlin, DL, or Lake probably had the photos marked up with sharpies in the locker room. I'm sure there were circles around Troy & Ryan with arrows pointing to the word "dumb a$$" on several of those pics. Good job getting it fixed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Play better. Safeties were out of position in the 1st half. I saw Clark & Troy jump routes. That long one to Megatron had Clark jumping an underneath route from the far hash & leaving Taylor cold. Taylor has to make that tackle too. Give Statford credit for seeing it & throwing Megatron open across the field. That was a perfect example of what DL was saying about seeing it & being in the right place...They weren't doing it in the first half. That's something that sticks out all year with Ryan & Troy. They are making effort mistakes trying to create & they just don't have the range to make up for false steps. You want to know why people knew Allen was on the field? He didn't take chances and was in the right places. I will give credit to Ryan & Troy in the second half though. Tomlin, DL, or Lake probably had the photos marked up with sharpies in the locker room. I'm sure there were circles around Troy & Ryan with arrows pointing to the word "dumb a$$" on several of those pics. Good job getting it fixed.
    This is exactly what I saw. And some credit goes to Detroit for the play designs and getting these guys to bite on the underneath stuff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Safeties were out of position in the 1st half. I saw Clark & Troy jump routes. That long one to Megatron had Clark jumping an underneath route from the far hash & leaving Taylor cold.
    I didn't see the game, just the highlights, and saw the same thing. I'm thinking the message during halftime was..."if you are going to cheat, you cheat towards Johnson, not away from him".