Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

so its okay to say a guy is gonna be a pro bowler in a few years based on a hunch but it isnt okay to call the guy a bust for what he has actually proven on the field thus far? interesting
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so its okay to say a guy is gonna be a pro bowler in a few years based on a hunch but it isnt okay to call the guy a bust for what he has actually proven on the field thus far? interesting
    How dare we think positive about a player on our team? Shame on us.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    I would say the answer to both of those questions is "NO". We make too many snap judgments on a player after only a few games. You need to give a player a few years to show what he has ... and even then he might need to get some breaks. I'd be willing to bet none of us would have ever heard of Tom Brady if Drew Bledsoe doesn't go down with an injury. Player selection and evaluation is a crapshoot and nobody is perfect at it.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Alluding to the only sack Jarvis Jones' rookie year (which came vs. CJ Spiller) ....this was my biggest concern with Jones coming out of college.

Looking at his sacks in college, they all came against RBs or stunts. I couldn't find hardly any of him beating OT's 1 on 1 other than coverage sacks.
    BUT as for just plain old beating an OT 1 on 1 ... I didn't see it.
    I have the same opinion. The sacks I saw in college were "tenacity sacks" where the QB would hold the ball and eventually Jones just kept working to get to him. I can't recall a consistent number of sacks where he just beat OTs on a regular basis because of his pass rush techniques and blew past the OT. Could be wrong but we'll find out over the next season or two.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He needed to get stronger, we knew that. hes relentless in pursuit though, that should make up for his lack of explosion.

Would still rather have him over mingo, jordan, or werner

Legend

User Info Menu

I watched a lot of game tape on Jarvis and most of his sacks in college (Senior year) came from stunts and then coverage sacks 2nd. He didnt beat an OT for a sack, unless it was more then 4 seconds and that only happened twice his Senior year. He does have a big motor. His problem in college was the same as it is now, strength. If he gains some muscle and about 15 - 20 lbs, he'll be good.

BTW, you can go to youtube and search Jarvis Jones which will show you every game his Senior year and each video shows only defensive snaps with Jarvis on the field. It's very convenient for this discussion.
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 04-17-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I watched a lot of game tape on Jarvis and most of his sacks in college (Senior year) came from stunts and then coverage sacks 2nd. He didnt beat an OT for a sack, unless it was more then 4 seconds and that only happened twice his Senior year. He does have a big motor. His problem in college was the same as it is now, strength. If he gains some muscle and about 15 - 20 lbs, he'll be good.

BTW, you can go to youtube and search Jarvis Jones which will show you every game his Senior year and each video shows only defensive snaps with Jarvis on the field. It's very convenient for this discussion.
    It sounds like he needs Deebo as a lifting buddy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    It sounds like he needs Deebo as a lifting buddy.
    Exactly. We need to sign him yesterday.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I have the same opinion. The sacks I saw in college were "tenacity sacks" where the QB would hold the ball and eventually Jones just kept working to get to him. I can't recall a consistent number of sacks where he just beat OTs on a regular basis because of his pass rush techniques and blew past the OT. Could be wrong but we'll find out over the next season or two.
    Blew past LTs? You mean like top 5 pick Dion Jordan? A guy with his type of speed? He really lit things up his rookie year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Blew past LTs? You mean like top 5 pick Dion Jordan? A guy with his type of speed? He really lit things up his rookie year.
    But...but...that can't be!!!

The only rookies who ever underperform are Steelers rookies...because they have to learn a whole new position!!!

Not like Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo...