Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Name an LB who can cover the monster TEs of today, let alone WRs. Give me some names. If you come up with five I will be very surprised. And I mean five legitimate names, not bullshyte.
    I could name some that are better than Timmons but that wasn't my point. My comment was in response to Ovi's.... about Timmons running with a WR in training camp.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Guys,
    If you are not concerned, then you are ignoring a lot of signs. The only sign that he'll be a good player, is his production in college. He is slow, as evidenced by producing the slowest 40 time in memory for a 1st round LB. So (1), he is slow. He is also, by his own admission, not strong enough (2). And the last thing of course being, he was a non-factor, actually playing in the league in question (the NFL). Remember also, he was supposed to be plug-and-play ready. Even if he ended up not being so, you would certainly expect him to have flashes of success (i.e. a few sacks?)

I'm not writing him off yet, but I am concerned. How can you not be?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Guys,
    If you are not concerned, then you are ignoring a lot of signs. The only sign that he'll be a good player, is his production in college. He is slow, as evidenced by producing the slowest 40 time in memory for a 1st round LB. So (1), he is slow. He is also, by his own admission, not strong enough (2). And the last thing of course being, he was a non-factor, actually playing in the league in question (the NFL). Remember also, he was supposed to be plug-and-play ready. Even if he ended up not being so, you would certainly expect him to have flashes of success (i.e. a few sacks?)

I'm not writing him off yet, but I am concerned. How can you not be?
    I'm not at all concerned. I think he is going to be a playermaker for us. He has a knack for being around the ball and natural instincts and thats something you can't teach and something for important than some stupid 40 time in shorts.

Strength is a non-issue.... That is the easiest to fix. Timmons was the same way.

Legend

User Info Menu

1. If a LB has to run 40 yards for any reason, something went totally wrong anyways.

2. Like Steelz said, strength can easily be fixed.

3. Plug n play ready in a very complex system like LeBeau's is never going to happen.

I sincerely believe he can produce at this level by hitting the gym and studying the playbook. He's a natural athlete and you can easily see that by watching him play.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Strength is easily fixed?

If that is the case, why aren't we drafting Aaron Donald, putting him in the weight room, and let him plug the middle (on 1st & 2nd) and rush the passer (on 3rd)? You know the reason why... because it isn't as "easy" as getting a guy on a bench press. Many people get stronger, and lose speed. For Jones, that would be a disaster.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wasn't james harrison really slow coming out of college? wasn't he too small? wasn't he too weak? didn't he only have one move? how'd that work out?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    wasn't james harrison really slow coming out of college? wasn't he too small? wasn't he too weak? didn't he only have one move? how'd that work out?
    I seriously DOUBT James Harrison was ever considered weak.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    If that is the case, why aren't we drafting Aaron Donald, putting him in the weight room, and let him plug the middle (on 1st & 2nd) and rush the passer (on 3rd)? You know the reason why... because it isn't as "easy" as getting a guy on a bench press. Many people get stronger, and lose speed. For Jones, that would be a disaster.
    I don't see why your associating gaining strength and losing speed. I dropped 25 pounds and was stronger than I was when I was heavier. If you bulk up.. then yes, you might get a bit slower but not necessarily. It depends...

I don't see how JJ gaining strength will make him slower. In fact, I think he could add a bit more bulk as well without losing speed. He has the frame to easily carry 10 more pounds of lean muscle. He's taller than most think: 6'2.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm not at all concerned. I think he is going to be a playermaker for us. He has a knack for being around the ball and natural instincts and thats something you can't teach and something for important than some stupid 40 time in shorts.

Strength is a non-issue.... That is the easiest to fix. Timmons was the same way.
    I agree...not really worried about him.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Troy Polamalu was a non-factor in his rookie season.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.